Ex-pats new to Mauritius - beer one eve in Port Louis?

Is anyone else relatively new here?  I arrived in September, so am still finding my feet. Am keen to meet others who are also wanting to explore at weekends - I love hiking and snorkelling and finding cheap little restaurants, but don't feel too safe sitting on the beach all by myself, and whilst the 5* hotel-beaches are safe, its not really all that adventurous! I'm keen to do some walks in the Black River Park area..

I've started to meet a few Mauritians, and am having fun, but would be good to catch up with some ex-pats who are also new(ish) here and keen for adventures.

If anyone fancies a beer at Lambic, a great new little bar in Port Louis, to meet up with other ex-pats, reply to this topic..

I'm suggesting Wednesday 21st Oct, at 5.30pm, but this is flexible!

Tam

m flying to india frm 10th oct til 28th oct so can join later for sure Tam :)

Hi Tam,
I would love to join you as I am also keen to meet new people.
However, I'm afraid that I can't make it on the 21st as this is the arrival date of my hubbie who is joining me and my daughter for a short holiday.
I'll stay on the lookout for the next date.
See you
Arlette

Hi Vishal and Arlette,

How about this - I'll wait and see if there's any interest for the 21st, and if there is then go ahead that evening, PLUS do another one 2 weeks later, on the 4th Nov.  And if there's no interest for the 21st, well, see you both on the 4th for the first NewHere Beer :)

Does the 4th sound OK for you both?

Tam

as i said m always inn so i shd join for sure on 4th but Tam i suggest sufferen on 30th oct evening happy hours dat will b gud u c.... sufferen is happening and can  chit chat also..

rest keep posted... :)))))

The 30th or the 4th could be ok for us too, I think.
Anyway I'll follow up on the posts so to stay updated on what's happening.

hey guys.. looks like not too many takers for the 21st so will flag that idea. But am on for Weds 4th at Lambic if that works, and you're both still keen. If so, message back..
Tamara

I am game too. Le Suffern seems to be a nice place, I have not yet seen other places as I am only 15 days old in Mauritius, but I am open to meet up on any weekends.

Ok, I will join you guys on Fri the 30th at Le suffren after work... What time do you guys end? I dont know if you guys noticed, but Mauritian time is usually an hour delayed :)

Personally I did quite like the ideo of TamL (who initiated this discussion) to meet at the Lambic. It is a nice place and they have a HUGE choice of imported beers :D. And my hubbie arriving on the 29th for vacation, I wanted to show him this place anyhow. It would be a nice occasion.

Your opinions please... As soon the place is fixed, I will pass the word to the French forum so we can gather some more people together :top:

And I think 5:30 would be a nice timing. We can always go to another place afterwards if you wish...

I'm sticking to my ORIGINAL suggestion!  Lambic.. because its a nice place to sit and chat, on a Friday Suffren is fun but busier, many many more people - not ideal for an initial ex-pat gathering..

So - whoever is keen on a beer, come to Lambic on Weds 4th Nov, 5.30pm.  Its on facebook, for those who are not sure what/where it is.  'FeeAcer' - if that sounds good to you, great, lets stick to that.. Others hope to see some of you there then too :)

TamL

Place is not an issue, It would be better to have it on a weekend so that we can relax the next day.

On second thought on a weekend would be nice for me too as my daughter would be able to join in also (her courses will have started again on 2nd and weekdays is little difficult for her).
I'll wait and see what the others say

:)  Shall we say Friday 6th then, maybe 5pm at Lambic?  And those that want to can go on to the Suffren afterwards?  Maybe that meet most people's needs?  :)

Tam

ok for me

Ok with me too. My daughter is 16 , is it okay to bring her along? or should I come only with my wife.

Personally I think it's okay; on the last drink we had in Grand Baie there were one or two kids that age. My daughter is going to be 22.

Hi Arlette.. !

This is Nadeem. How' you doing? Learned that you had a small accident. All fine now?

Hi Nadeem,
Nice to hear from you... Yes, broke my little toe :dumbom: last week... Jee that hurts, man!!!! Never broke anything in my life... till now...
They said it'll take three weeks to heal...
Thanks for enquiring.
See you around some time
Arlette

Hey Julain and Christna, will you be there too.

I'll be there if it's okey for you guys?
Can't find the facebook-group though, could you send me an link?
I am only 15 days old in Mauritius, so not that known around Port Lois yet, got to have an adress or a google map-link :)

Hi Jorg,
Send me a private message with your email address and I will send you a screenshot taken from Google Earth with the location of the Street where is the Lambic.
You'll be able to find the Lambic like this quite easily.
In fact it's located in the same street as the French Embassy and it just opposite "Campus-France".

Hi Jorg1,

Welcome, I am too just 25 days old in this country. Free Acer,If this is successful, let us make it a regualar event.

Cheers!!!
Terence

Hi Guys,
You can find all useful info on Lambic here
Joergen I'm sending you an email just now, hope this info will be helpful for you to find the location.

Hey Guys. great, we will be quite a good group.  Jorg of course you should come too!!!  So its next Friday then :)

Lambic is on facebook at http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pages … 578?ref=nf

its own website is at http://www.lambic.mu/

and directions and map at http://www.lambic.mu/location.htm 

Hope that helps?  Its walking distance from the bus stations, one street back from the corner of the Casernes - the old barracks, now the police station..

if people give an indication on this forum if they're likely to come, I'll try to reserve a table, as it can get busy and sounds like we'll be at least 8 people..
Tam

Hi Tam
Just to confirm that we will be 3 people...
see you soon
Arlette

PS. I've posted the info on the French side of the forum too...
I'll ask them to confirm if they come for booking purpose

Hi guys,

I am pretty sure we'll be much more than 3 ;) I'll call them and book space for us, otherwise it will be impossible to seat

Julien

Hi Julien,
Joking! I was only talking (confirming) that we will be 3 coming from my side (my husband is on vacation in Mauritius since yesterday).
Anyway it will be nice to meet with you again
Cheers
Arlette

Sweet - thanks Julien - so you will book a table then?  I was going to, but will leave it in your hands, thank you.
Tell us what name the table is under (ex-pats?) as I work really close and will prob be there about 5 - need beer on fridays :)

Julien ,

I am glad that you and Christina will be around. Since I work till 5, I will be there by 6 along with my wife and daughter.

Cheers!!!

Terence

Christine and I are looking forward to seeing you guys next Friday :) (we'll arrive around 6h30)

I'll book one (very big) table under the easy name of "Expat.com" ;)

I will be there! :) Christine and Julien? Are you going by taxi or drive your self? Could we hook up first, maybe make it a bit less expensive...

hello hello

Guys i m bak in mauriitus but unfortunately i dont HAV CAR  .. i shd have it by end of this month and i really want to join u guys.. on friday yaa. my office is in curepipe so i can reach port louis by 6 or so by my own on friday but is der any1 who can drop me back to quatre bornes after drinks.. reply highly appriciated...if its on way to any joining.. yaa

Hi everybody,

I've booked a table for 20 people, FRIDAY 6th from 5 pm ;)

j0rg1, I can bring you, but as I have to pick up my girlfriend's sister in Port Louis, I won't be able to bring you back. Can anybody bring j0rg1 back to G Bay?

See you guys on Friday !

Ahh! How great! I'll send you an PM.
I could find my way back on my own, I was just not sure where to find the pub.

FeeAcer: I not get any email, but I will meet you anyway :)

Hi Jorgen
I did send the email to the address you gave me in private message... strange.
I've send it again right now.
Hope it will arrive. But maybe check in your junkmail folder? Never knows.
Arlette

I'm moving with my family to Mauritius November 25th and we would love to meet other expats there that have made the same plunge. Sorry we couldn't meet up for a beer in October, but please keep us in mind for later meetings.

Mark

Hi All,
I'm really sorry not to have been able to join yesterday due to my broken toe, my daughter's exam today and the heavy cold of my little one.
Hope there will be another gathering very soon on which I'll be able to attend.
Cheers
Arlette

It was nice meeting you guys :)

Where will we meet next time? :P

Was a good turn out! 

Why not have some drinks again sometime, say in a couple weeks, either at Suffren or up in the north (anyone like the Beach House in GB?) and then when Julien's back from his trip abroad, do a BBQ one Sunday afternoon at Mont Choisy beach..

If that idea sounds good, someone be the organiser?  ..name a date and place for next drinks.. :)