Living in Mauritius

Has anybody been to Mauritius?

I've received an interesting job offer for working in Port Louis but I don't know anything about Mauritius, appart from the wonderful beaches there. I read that it's a multicultural island, that they're investing a lot on IT development ...

I am flying there in two weeks to see how is life over there before making any decision. 

If anybody has some info, please let me know :)

(hey I might add a new flag to my signature :happy:)

I arrived in Mauritius a couple of days ago. I've got a week to find out if Mauritius is where I'll spend the next months ...

First feelings: people here are really nice and cordial! Everybody tells me "welcome" everywhere with large smiles!

There are a lot of activities (if you like sea activities, such as scuba diving, boat sailing, wake board ... Mauritius is the place to be).

Cost of life is quite cheap. Locals don't earn much, and you'll get very good way of life with a regular expat contract.

and the beach ... wow!

http://julien.faliu.info/gallery/1/plage-ile-maurice.jpg

Go Go Go...looks like a good jump from here!!!!

Just to let you know ... I've accepted the job :)

I'm moving in 4/5 weeks!

Congratulations!!! What kind of position is it? What are you going to do?

I'll be in charge of all technical things for Vinivi (the official role is "Chief technical officer")  it's a six month contract, a bit short, but it will be my first expat experience outside Europe :cool:

I'll be based around Grand Baie, at the North of the island.

departure at the end of May / beginning of June! (then I'll add a new flag to my signature)

I'll offer a free cocktail to every Expat.com member who'll come and visit me there! :cheers:

Hi,

I also have a possible offer in Mauritius and I have so many questions!
What about english schools I have two kids, they are 3 and 7 years old. I would go with them and my wife, maybe for a year or a couple.
After a while how do you feel living in this small place. It is not big and it is an island.
Free time must be nice doing a lot of acuatic activities.
What about housing is it expensive.
and so on, many more questions

thanks in advance
any info will be apreciated

Malyr, the official language in public schools Mauritius is english, and there are several private english schools in the island.

I feel really good after 10 days here! I look forward to next week end :)

aquatic activies? I am diving tomorrow morning and I am sailing tomorrow afternoon.  Note that it's winter here but I wear short pants and tee shirts evertime!

Housing is cheap compared to Europe!

Diving and sailing...your making me so JEALOUS!

so Julien definetly it sounds to be a good place to live for a couple of years, like a paid holidays. I have to jump there and have a look, a paradise like that must be considered.:top:
any words you can write here about the island will be really apreciated.
regards and have a nice diving. I want to see the pictures!!!!

malyr wrote:

so Julien definetly it sounds to be a good place to live for a couple of years, like a paid holidays. I have to jump there and have a look, a paradise like that must be considered.:top:
any words you can write here about the island will be really apreciated.
regards and have a nice diving. I want to see the pictures!!!!

hmmm not really like holidays (I am working a lot) but week ends are pretty cool here :cool:

Come and have a look, that's what I've done before making my decision ;)

for the pictures, you can check on my blog (but it's written in french): http://julien.faliu.info/album/maurice

I've received today an interesting document:

Guidelines for an occupation permit of professional in Mauritius

Documents required when submitting a new application for an Occupational Permit (as Professional)

1. Application form for Occupational Permit, duly filled and signed

2. Job Profile of applicant

3. Detailed C.V of applicant

4. Copies of passport of applicant and for any dependant (personal data and visa pages)
5. 4 Passport size photographs of applicant and for any dependants
6. Certified copy of academic and professional qualifications and details of work experience
7. Copies of marriage certificate
8. Copies of birth certificate of applicant and any dependants (in English or French)
9. Contract of employment
10. List of medical tests required for applicant and dependants:

Blood tests for:
> Haemoglobin & full blood count (HBFBC)
> Hepatitis B - Surface Antigen
> Anti HIV Screening Tests for AIDS
> Veneral diseases (V.D.R.L tests for Syphilis)
> Urine tests for Albumin and Sugar
> Stool tests for parasites
> X-Ray of the chest

Out of these tests, the following three tests should compulsorily be done in Mauritius.  Hepatitis B Surface Antigen, HIV and Chest x-ray.  These tests may be done at any private medical laboratory or clinic registered with the Ministry of Health.  The remaining tests may be done in the applicant's country before coming to Mauritius or in Mauritius itself.

All tests results should be submitted to a local doctor who will issue a medical certificate after an examination.

Children under 12 years of age are not required to do blood tests

Professional earning more than MUR 30,000 (with contract of employment of 2 years or less) Fee payable is MUR 6,000

Professional earning more than MUR 30,000 (with contract of employment of more than 2 years and less than or 3 years  Fee payable is MUR 10,000

Payment must be made by a bank cheque drawn to the order of the Government of Mauritius.  Cash payment is not accepted

A bank guarantee of MUR 20,000 in favour of the Government of Mauritius, as a security deposit for each dependant

All copies of documents submitted must be certified true copies, otherwise original documents should be produced for verification.  Copies may be certified by diplomatic missions, attorneys or notaries

At time of application, the applicant's passport should have a validity period of at least six months together with a valid visa/entry.  Applications will not be accepted if the visa has expired.

NB: Please note that a person deriving a salary of MUR 30,000 or more is classified under Professional.

After one month I've got my work permit!

The longuest part of the process are the medical analysis... one advice: pass all the blood analysis in the same clinic. Some clinic refuse to make the HIV test because they haven't got the accreditation for it. They'll redirect you to the public hospital and you'll lose 10 days. So if the clinic you've chosen doesn't do the HIV test, find another clinic...

Important note: you cannot get a local bank account until you haven't got your work permit.

The main banks here are: MCB (Mauritius Commercial Bank), HSBC, Banque des Mascareignes, Barclay's. I've chosen the MCB, I heard they've got a very good online system (you can even send funds abroad).

I've also bought a new chip for my mobile phone (250 rupees, with 125 rupees of communication included)

There are two companies here for mobile communications: EMtel and Cellplus. I've chosen Emtel but the reception is not very good :/ pre-paid communications are absolutely cheap here. A funny detail is that voicemail don't exist here with pre-paid systems.

Hey everyone,

I've got a possible job opportunity in Mauritius, paying 80000rupees per month - is this a decent salary for Mauritius?...will I be able to live comfortably?

Been looking on the web for the past week or so and got to say that the Island looks fantastic...

Hi Tartanboy,

80 000 rupees is a good salary for Mauritius (equals 2 000 euros). Are you alone or are you coming with a wife and children?

You can rent a house from 8 000 to 30 000 rupees, a small car rental costs 10 000/12 000 per month.

Yes Mauritius is great!

How bizarre...I just sent you an e-mail seconds before your entry came onto the site...my wife would be coming with me (no kids as yet), but there's also a possibility of work for her...quite an exciting prospect...a car allowance is also included - seems like I'd be a fool to turn the job down..?..
Gerry

Hi Gerry, I've just seen your email.

The price you sent me for the house is very expensive!

Will I seen you in Mauritius then?

very possibly...will know for definite on Monday (I think)...

My husband is being offered a job in Mauritius and I would like to know cost of living there - what kind of package should he ask for? We have 2 school-aged children. We have also just finished a stint in the UK Channel Islands where cost of living in very high so are interested in a less expensive (and warmer!) place. Any info on schools, housing (cost of 4 bedroom house?), live-in help, and family life in general would be much appreciated.

Life in Mauritius is not expensive. You can get a big house for roughly £400. About the schools, it depends where you will be located.

Do you know where you would be located?

Hi
We are moving to Mauritius long term in Sept 08, please can you let me know who are the best estate agents to contact and where the best place to live for commuting to Port Louis?

Regards
R&L

Hi R&L,

where would you like to live? Flic en Flac?

No, don't know where we will be located as my husband has only been exploring the possibilities. Compared to the US, what is the cost of living like in Mauritius?

Living in Mauritius is pretty cheap.
You can get a nice house (3 rooms+2 bathroom+garden) for $750, a car for $350 per month. Seriously, I moved to Mauritius one year ago (from Europe) and I don't regret it

Hi I am from South Africa and want to move to Mauritius. I have a Mauritian passport through descent (my mother and grandparents are mauritian). Am I entitled to bring my husband and kids with me. Kids are 19,18 and 11. Do you know what procedures need to be followed? Any assistance would be appreciated as I can find nothing on the net in this regard. Thanks

Hi
my wife has an offer to work in mauritius,
can some tell me about the benefits of
being expat in Mauritius and also the tax
regulation applied?

Thks, hope to see u all there

Welcome smie joe,

Mauritius is a great island, I've been living here for a year now and I really appreciate the Mauritian way of life.

You pay 15% taxes.

Hi

Can some one pls let me know the approx cost of living a decent standard of living in Mauritius. I am married and a havekid of 4 year. Wanted to know abt Rent cost, School cost, fooding etc. Would a salary of Maurtian Rupees 1,00,000 suffice for incurring all cost and saving some thing also.

r these information available on any website.

re

vishal

Hi Vishal,

where on the island would you be located? How much would you earn per month?

Hi Julien

I would be getting 1,00,000 MUR pm and working in Port Louis. So would prefer to stay near that may be with a travelling distance of 30 to 40 minutes.

1,00,000 is one hundred thousand rupees? You've got more than enough to live here. Are you coming alone or with your family?

Hello Everyone

I am looking for some information, I shall be moving to mauritius soon and would like more information with regards to the requirements for the work permit, however i do have some private matter that i would like assistance on from other expats, I did email Julien who seems to have stayed in mauritius the longest in this forum and I have got no reply, if there is anyone else out there willing to assist me with information I would really be greatful as i have searched everywhere and i cannot seem to find answers to my questions. its urgent that i find this information before relocating in 2 weeks. thank you for taking the time to answer my plight, email [email protected] regards Keith

I've just been very busy today, I'll reply tomorrow. If you could directly send me your questions I'll try to help you.

Hi Julien

I would be coming with my wife and 4 yr old son.

Would be working in Port Loius, so would prefer to stay max 30 min away.

In the salary of 100,000 MUR per month, would i be able to incurr my Rent, Fooding, Schooling and other cost to live a decent life. Decent means not lavish but of a higher middle class.

Can some one help me out in the current rent and school cost.

re

vishal

Hi Vishal,

you will get a comfortable way of life here with this salary. You won't be very rich, but your life will be comfortable. A big house costs 15-30,000 MRU, a car 10-15,000. I don't know the price of schooling (no children yet).

Does your contract include health insurance?

All the best,

Julien

Hello,
       My name is Phillipe and am from California. I am very interested in moving to mauritius soon. I do have some questions so if anyone out there could be so kind and help me out id very much appreciate it! First of all, how do i go about obtaining an occupation permit so i can live and work in Mauritius? Im a finish carpenter and construction builder. I make anything from custom fine furniture to private homes.....is the carpentry/construction business good in mauritius? Would it be hard to find someone to work for? As for housing, i would like a small apartment somewhere near tamarin. (im a surfer) How much would it be per month? If anyone could help me out thank you so much! And i wish you lots of good Karma!

Hi Julien

Big house means...i would like to stay in a 2 bedroom appartment in a building rather than like a bungalow with garden / pool etc.

further, what would be approx cost of food (veg) for 3 persons.

as far as health insurance is concerned, me and my family would be covered by the company group insurance policy.

re

vishal

Hi Phillipe,

about the work permit, you've got the answers in the same topic (guidelines for an occupation permit in Mauritius).

There are a lot of construction projects here in Mauritius so it shouldn't be very complicated to find a job. You should try to find a job from abroad, it would help a lot! A small flat near Tamarin should cost around 12,000 rupees?

Vishal> in this case you will pay maximum 15/20,000 rupees per month. Vegetarian food is not expensive in Mauritius

Hi Julien,

It seems, Vishal & I have a similar scenario, only difference being I haven't got the final offer. The location would be Port Louis.
By addressing Vishal's queries, you would be helping me too.

Thanks,
Saurav

Hello!
I am 40, my wife is 35, we live in Serbia and would like to move to some nice and warm place. We hope that Mauritius is a place that we search for.
I am an installer of the electrical home appliances, my wife is a 15 years experienced nurse.
Our idea is:
1.    To find a job for my wife
2.    To rent a small house
3.    To establish a small workshop in Mauritius and employ 1 or 2 workers

I would appreciate if anyone can give me some information.
1.    Please, suggest some links or addresses where my wife can apply for a job.
2.    Does anyone have knowledge about approx. monthly salary for the nurses?
3.    Where can I get the information about companies dealing with air conditioners, video surveillances, central vacuum systems on Mauritius?
4.    Have you any idea what are the average installation costs of an air conditioner unit?
5.    What is a procedure for establishing a Company in your Mauritius and is it allowed to foreigners?

Thank you in advance

Walter and Eva