Driving license in Tonga

Hi all,

Can a foreigner take the driving test in Tonga?

What are the formalities to get a driver's licence in Tonga?

Do you need special or extra documents being an expatriate?

How much does it cost?

Thank you for participating ;).

Armand

I would like to know thiws as well, I find all people living in Tonga have very poor internet, satilite, expensive, always going down, I am told this will change in a few years with a new connection to an under ocecan fiber optics cable, but only on the main island, not other places, maybe they can beam wirelessly to tehother islands, one drawback to Tonga, we are moving in a few months for a 6 month trial  period, if all goes well, permenently, we are moving to Vava'u

You must obtain a local driver's license before you can officially drive in Tonga. The rental firms will do it for you, or you can go through the rather cumbersome application process at the central police station (tel. 21-222), on Wellington Road just off Taufa'ahau Road in Nuku'alofa. Enter on the Railway Road side of the building. You will need your home driver's license and T$18 (US$9/£4.50) in pa'anga.

Driving Rules -- Driving in Tonga is on the left-hand side of the road. Speed limits are 65kmph (40 mph) on the open road and 40kmph (25 mph) in towns and villages. You must wear your seat belt at all times, and driving under the influence of alcohol is a serious offense.

Also one more thing if you need a rental car.

Avis (tel. 800/331-1212 or 21-179; [link moderated] has an office on Taufa'ahau Road. Rates are T$82 (US$41/£21) per day, including unlimited kilometers. A subsidiary of E. M. Jones Travel, KL2 Rental Car (tel. 30-221; [email protected]), Taufa'ahau Road Extended, rents cars starting at T$50 (US$25/£13) per day, including unlimited mileage. Both have a limited supply of cars, so reserve as soon as you can.

I hope this helps some.

Sorry for posting so much but this should be said. It is nice to go during the summer for vacation, but if you plan on living there it is best to go during cyclone season to make sure you will be able to deal with it when the time comes. Depending on where you live it may not be that bad, but it is always best to know the worst part of the year. At least then you know if you want to go through it every year or not.

Thank you for your input Kanoa!

It is much appreciated :)

Armand