Driving license in Puerto Rico

Hi all,

Can a foreigner take the driving test in Puerto Rico?

What are the formalities to get a driver's licence in Puerto Rico?

Do you need special or extra documents being an expatriate?

How much does it cost?

Thank you for participating ;).

Armand

Yes, a foreigner can take a driving test but only after she or he has either a visa that allows working or a permanent resident card.

Driver's licenses from certain countries and US states can be exchanged for  a PR license.

The test is pretty easy - first a theoretical test and then you have to "drive around the block".

The DTOP (Departamento de Transportacion y Obras Publicas) has offices in many towns. http://www.dtop.gov.pr/servicios/det_co … ?cn_id=184

Some basic info about the requirements to obtain a license is on their website (Spanish only I think): http://www.dtop.gov.pr/servicios/det_co … p?cn_id=71

Don't worry about using your turn signals during the driving test. Nobody here uses them. They don't even check to see if they work when you get your car inspected.

lots of time they don't even check to see if the headlights work
;-))  My guy hasn't opened my hood in at least 2 years! i could have a rats nest in there...... just pay your $11 and make sure they spell your name correctly.

Oh, you can take the test in English.....just insist.  I had no trouble getting it in English a few years ago.

Hi all,

Thanks a lot for your help ;)

Armand

GreggK wrote:

Don't worry about using your turn signals during the driving test. Nobody here uses them. They don't even check to see if they work when you get your car inspected.

They check nothing, I mean absolutely nothing at the car inspection.
The only thing they really need to give you the new sticker is the print-out of the exhaust measurement. Many "Official Inspection Stations" now have software that fakes the testing and that produces some random figures that are good.

About the turn signals, I was stopped on the 'expreso' from Ponce to San Juan and the female officer told me I should use my turn signals. So I promised her I would and she let me go with a warning. New policy maybe?  :D

My guess is that she stopped you because you looked good!! 
You must have smiled nicely at her........;-))

We're moving WHERE? wrote:

My guess is that she stopped you because you looked good!! 
You must have smiled nicely at her........;-))

That's what my wife said. :cool:

my ma license is expired

mikeyd10 wrote:

my ma license is expired

If you are planning to get a PR license you would have to take both the theoretical and practical exam.

More info here: http://www.dtop.gov.pr/servicios/det_co … p?cn_id=97 (Spanish only)

I make the trip on that stretch of road and noticed the police have better cars and I have seen folks actually pulled over and getting written up. Only place I have seen it. One was a speeder as he flew around me earlier. I do drive carefully on that particular strip.

When you present the copies of your documents to get your drivers license, do they keep them, or instead do they scan them and then give them back to you?

If you have a valid current license from the mainland, they will exchange it for as PR license. You may have to take the written exam, but not the driving one. If your mainland license is expired, you will have to take both exams.

They want you to bring copies (not a bad idea to have originals for them to see).

Hello!!! How do i find a puerto rico driver's manual in English. I do not speak or read spanish very well!!! Also can i still get a puerto rico DL if my they suspended in another state!!!

Not all States have Reciprocity: meaning that you can exchange your license from the States for a PR one. Some states have Full some Partial and some not at all.

Full Reciprocity -If the present driver's license is not expired, no need to take any of the tests. If the license has expired, both tests (written and practical) must be taken.  Here is the list:

Florida   
Illinois
Maine
South Dakota   
Tennessee
Wisconsin

Partial Reciprocity - If the present driver's license is not expired, it is required to take the written test .  If it is expired, both tests (written and practical) must be taken.  Here is the list:

Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota,  Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wyoming, Washington D.C.

No reciprocity - In the case of the following states, It is required to take both the written and practical tests:

Hawaii   
Oklahoma
Rhode Island
Washington

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Puerto-Rico- … icense.htm

Dagwood, You can request the PR Driver's Manual in English at the DTOP (DMV).  Not sure about the Suspension...I would suggest to just ask someone at the DTOP.

The reciprocity list might have changed. I traded in my New York license, fully expecting that I would have to take the written test.  I did not have to take the test.  They gave me a PR license. Also, I did not have to bring photos. They now take photos at DTOP. This was in the office in the Guayama Mall, about six months ago.

Thanks Frogrock. Yes maybe the list has changed. The D-top website still hasn't been updated though if it has...but that's not really a surprise.  Or maybe you just got lucky?  ;)  DTOP Reciprocity Yes its really nice that they take your picture right there now.

Sounds like the procedures are getting better. Hope Massachusetts becomes fully reciprocated. But I still want to read the book and see the differences.
The need for a doctor note/certificate is odd. I am used to only get an eye exam.
Are they doing the eye exam there or do I have to go elsewhere for that?
What about the stamps, can i get them there ?

Dagwood I did everything at license and co. Above the Supermax in Condado it was easy they will have the answers.....

It's not a real doctor's note. There are usually some vendors right outside of DTOP that give you the eye test and the 'once-over'.  I forgot what it costs, but it is minimal.  I cannot remember if you can get the stamps from them, but I went to the government service center in the Guayama Mall and everything was right there, and it was not crowded.

Wow, driver license is ridiculous, they could give you the eye test at the window and charge you in cash, check or credit card at the window if they wanted to implement it. Every state I been to does this. I wonder what their excuse is.

ReyP wrote:

I wonder what their excuse is.

This is Puerto Rico.. :D

Dagwood, first of all you can get the drivers manual in English in any drug store. I got mine in a drug store in Humacao. I read it through a few times and it was pretty straight forward.

Eventually when I had to go get my license changed, I went to Arecibo DTOP and it went pretty easy. I had to bring original birth certificate, my NY license not expired and a water or electricity bill. Since the bill is in my hubby's name, I had to have him sign a paper authorizing me to use it.

Also a big thing for me was that since my birth certificate has my maiden name and here they use a women's maiden name not married name, I had to basically go back to my maiden name after 46 years of marriage.
I don't know if that is the same as other women born in the U.S., which I was but they also asked me for my mother's maiden name since they use that here also.

In the long run, I also had my marriage certificate with me and told the lady there (I am Puerto Rican and speak Spanish fluently which helps) that I would like to have my married name also on the license since I have everything in my married name and she obliged. So my license has my name as Maria A. Ortiz(my maiden name) de Ufret (my married name). This made me very happy.

As far as taking the tests, etc. I didn't have to take any tests and neither did my husband, maybe since we are seniors???? We had to get the stamps and a dr's note which we got in a little booth outside of the DTOP. It was $41.00 altogether and that was better than standing on the long line of the collecturia, even though it would be free for the stamps there.

Once you get all the necessary stamps and forms, you go up to the person at the counter, she or he checks everything and then they call you and you go get your picture taken and in about 20 min. you get your license. It was a fairly painless process.

So now, my husband, my grandson and I all have our PR license and are here to stay, at least my husband and I are.