Driving license in Ghana

Hi all,

Can a foreigner take the driving test in Ghana?

What are the formalities to get a driver's licence in Ghana?

Do you need special or extra documents being an expatriate?

How much does it cost?

Thank you for participating ;).

Armand

I haven't taken a test here but I did change my English driving licence into a Ghanaian one. I just took my English licence to the centre that issues licences and after going from one department to another I got a temporary licence and then after a couple of months I collected the permanent one. It didn't cost very much, only a few cedis.
The licence itself lasts for 6 years but you have to get it endorsed every two years.

Yep, that's what I did too.

what about an "international" driver's license?  Is that necessary?

No idea, but I think that would be Ok if you were just coming on holiday. If you intend to live here for some time I think you are required to get a Ghanaian licence within 3 months. However saying that I don't know how anyone would know how long you had been in the country unless of course you had an accident or broke the law in some way.

thank you hope to get it soom

pls i want 2 earn 1 but i don't know the amount i have to hold

kenneth Eyram wrote:

pls i want 2 earn 1 but i don't know the amount i have to hold

How can we help you. Your post is a little confusing.
What is it exactly you want 

This thread is old now so you may not get a reply

Hi,  Arrived in Ghana this past week on a Residence visa.  I really want to get my drivers license, but Is it still possible to take the test to get a drivers license without having a previous drivers license on me?

Not sure. Go along to DVLA and make enquiries

How much does it cost to go to driving school in Ghana. Im looking at the Johnson Driving School in Tamale. Just wondering how much I'll be spending. Thanks.

I'm sure if you contact them they will tell you how much and then you can contact other companies and compare prices

Quite often we get a lot of old postings resurfacing, and just when you about to get engaged how realize it's a 4 year old topic. Still some try to give responses that are invalidated. In Ghana rules don't matter, they just make them up as you go along. When I took my drivers license test a few years back, it was dramatic and confrontational, but won't get into that here. Bottom line is if you elect to take the exam which is cheaper than paying a middleman and get a Ghana licence, you will be faced with some archaic road signs, sure to drive you insane. Worst of all during the actual exam they position you behind a door ask you to identify pic to grams on a poster, amid interruptions from customers entering and exiting through the very food between you and the examiner. It's a mad house here. Things may have gotten better, but please come join the party...like zombies would say "brains more brains".

Thanks. I just wanted to get an idea of how much it would be. I was quoted by a friend that it was going to cost 900 cedis. I just wanted to see if that sounded about right. Thanks for your prompt response. I will see if I can call since its long distance. :)

You are right to be dubious if this is an amount quoted by a friend. Do you know how many lessons this is for? I found the fees for one in Accra and that has various rates. Google Capital Driving School and they are quoting GHS 940 for super express.

Not true. Should cost under 200 cedis all legitimate fees. If you too stressed to do it yourself,  you might find a middleman to extort about 375 cedis for that backdoor service. Best wishes!

I think you are quoting the cost for a licence but the person posting was asking about the cost of lessons. If you look at the costs quoted by Capitol they confirm that the licence itself costs GHC 118

Please try and distinguish between Driving School and Drivers License fees and regulations or both.

I actually read the posts and respond to the questions asked and that avoids confusion

Thank You so much for the responses. Greatly appreciated. This was a quote not only for a license but for all the lessons plus license at the end. The course will last 12 weeks but I don't know how many days per week. 
Thanks

Then if you compare that with Capitol it seems a good deal. Does it also include the provisional or does the person have that?

Thank you hkann. I don't know if it includes a provisional. My friend didn't mention that. But I feel better now knowing this is a good quote. I appreciate your time and help. I just want my friend to get a license and was told it was better to do it through the school as the money goes to the government unlike when you try to get a license directly through someone. This is not in Accra but in Tamale that the lessons will be given. I spent there a month only so have an idea of how cheap things can be. Again thanks so much.