Driving license in the Reunion Island

Hi all,

Can a foreigner take the driving test in the Reunion Island?

What are the formalities to get a driver's licence in the Reunion Island?

Do you need special or extra documents being an expatriate?

How much does it cost?

Thank you for participating ;).

Armand

Hi Armand,

I obtained my driver's licence in Reunion about 2 years ago as a foreigner.

You go through the exact same process as a local:

- Register with a driving school (you'll need some form of I.D)
- Take an initial test with the school's instructor, who'll prescribe a certain number of lessons before you have the right to take the practical exam (the legal minimum is 20hrs, they gave me 25 because I was used to driving on the other side of the road)
- Start studying the 'code de la route' using the book the school gives you, a DVD you can buy, or going to lessons held at the driving school
- When you feel ready, enrol in the exam to pass the 'code de la route'. You'll need at 25/30 to pass, if I recall correctly
- When you feel ready (and have done at least your prescribed number of lessons), enrol in the practical exam
-take the practical exam. It's marked out of 30, aswell and I think you need 25 to pass.

Be prepared for it to be quite expensive. The school will charge you for registering with them, exam fees, & of course driving lessons which are around 35€/hour. Make sure you check several schools before choosing one as some are cheaper, some have better resources to study the code, etc.

Hope that helps

Hi Pitaya!

Thanks a lot for your help ;)

Armand

Looking for recommendations for driving schools

Hello Andrew,

Welcome to expat.com!

Kindly note that you have commented on an inactive thread.

I suggest you do a quick google search. You will find many recommendations for driving schools in Réunion Island.

Good luck,

Yoginee

Expat.com team

Thank you Yoginee,

Yes, I did a Google search and found three driving schools in St Denis and one in St Paul, but which to chooses? so it helps to get some recommendations.

Andrew