Driving license in Portugal

Hi all,

Can a foreigner take the driving test in Portugal?

What are the formalities to get a driver's licence in Portugal?

Do you need special or extra documents being an expatriate?

How much does it cost?

Thank you for participating ;).

Armand

Oy paid 24€ oy think or was it 26€, oy don't remember exactly. Oy exchanged one DL for another, without driving test or exam. So your case may be more time consuming and more expensive.

Prepare to wait for many months (been waiting for 3 months now and they told me oy must wait for 6 or more months, but hopefully it will arrive sooner) in order to receive your new Portuguese driver's license. And keep in mind that at the time of application of a Portuguese driver's license they will take away your existing driver's license from whatever country you are from. The good news is, if you want to go back to your country of origin for a driving, they can give your old DL back for the time of travel if you return the piece of paper that they gave you as a temporary driver's license.

I am a foreigner. I am a Filipina. and I took my driving lesson in Portugal. You have to go to a driving school. I paid about €500(it depends on your driving school) you have to attend lessons. When you are ready, you inform the driving school that you are ready to take the exam test. You have to passed the written test before you can make you practical test in driving. When you pass the written test and practical test, you are ready to drive! :) good luck but take note, it is not easy.
Regards, alexandria

You did it great! Congratulations!

Hey! Did you take your tests in English?
I'm really straggling here, as my Portuguese is not good enough to take exams; but I really need a car!
Can not find english classes/tests schools anywhere. The only thing they suggest is doing everything via my embassy, which is unrealistic.

Hi. You can always ask for an interpreter if you want on the day of written exam. But there is no point because the driving school will always be teaching in Portuguese. I took mine in Portuguese And I remember that I was only staying in Portugal for a year. You can do it with great dedication. Good luck.

Hi. Do you know by any chance what are the requirements in able for you to get a driver's license here in Portugal? I'm a residence here and I did my driving lessons. I have a Philippine driver's license but I would like to have a Portuguese one. Do I need a special permit in able for me to drive around Portugal with a foreign driver's license? And how is the exam works? Thank you

Hi, you can exchange your Philippine driving license to a Portuguese one. At least this is what I did when I got mine.

Hi Cresel, you don't need to take a Portuguese driving exam. What you need to do get a certificate in LTO Phils Manila proving that you are genuine holder of a Philippine Driving license and  take it to the DFA for red ribbon and ask your family to send it to you over to Portugal and a certificate from Philippine Consulate Portugal at Lisbon, all of these it should be translated into Portuguese and have it notarised locally. Then take it to the nearest driving test agent where you live and they will do it for you. I have done this all myself and it works. The only problem is, it is a very slow process, but the driving school will chase them up the whole time. What I did before I left the Phils I obtained an International Driving License which allowed me to drive in Portugal for 1 year on my arrival. This give me plenty of time to get my full Portuguese Lic. Your family in Phils might be able to get the Int'l Driving for you in Manila but whoever applies on your behalf has to have a written authority from you to allow them to act on your behalf. This happened to me. I hope all these info will be of help to you and anyone else reading this message. All the best.

Thank you very much. I appreciate all the given info.