Expat blog gatherings in Sharjah

Hi all!

What about meeting the other Sharjah Expat.com members in real life? Organizing an Expat.com meet up would be an excellent way to know them! :)

An Expat.com meet up can be a diner gathering, having coffee, a bring and share in a nice place, a cultural or sports activity, etc. There are plenty of possibilities: just imagine a pleasant way to meet new people and old friends from Expat.com.

Feel free to organize Expat.com get-togethers in Sharjah: you would meet the other members in a friendly atmosphere and have a good time together!

Of course, we could offer some help to organize your meet up and to inform the community.

So, who's in? Do not hesitate to start a new thread to suggest an Expat.com gathering in Sharjah. ;)

Best,

Julien

Thank you for the initiative Julien ! :)

I'd recommend to plan something during Eid Holidays (in the end of August)!
Waiting for other suggestions!!!! ;)

Hi james.hamad, do not hesitate to propose a date, a place & the time.;)

This may help other members to participate.:)

Harmonie.

Hey Harmonie!
That sound's great! :)

Ok, just to take an initiative, here is my suggestion:

Venue: Al-Qasba, Sharjah

Two options for the date:
1) Either we can have an iftar gathering during ramadan!
2) We can meet during Eid holidays!

Let's see if we can get more suggestions to shape up this event! :P

Oh c'mon! more than 100 views and no replies?! :P

Still no feedback? Where are you people?! :O:P

Someone interested?! It's eid holidays ?!?!?!

Great idea! Let's do it. I'm back in the UK at the moment so unfortunately will miss the Eid holidays myself - but how would next Saturday (25th Aug) be for people? How about meeting at the Waterfront for 6pm?

Thanks r1chard! :)

I'm ready for that !

count me in also...

oh cool! now we're 4 :)

r1chard wrote:

Great idea! Let's do it. I'm back in the UK at the moment so unfortunately will miss the Eid holidays myself - but how would next Saturday (25th Aug) be for people? How about meeting at the Waterfront for 6pm?

To summarize, it's the following:

Venue: Al-Majaz Waterfront, Sharjah
Date: 25th August 2012
Time: 6:00pm

Is it still super hot in the evenings? Just thinking of an exact meeting point at the Waterfront as it's quite big - maybe better to choose a place indoors?! If so shall we say the Tim Horton's to start? (in your honour james.hammad ;) )

Or open to any other suggestions.

See you Saturday.....

Hey thanks! got your PM !
I'll get back to you with the exact location, however, in the meantime other suggestions are welcome!

Sounds great clo8 ! :)

Ha ha! They're called Timbits and at 1 dirham a piece you can't argue with that.

So finally we made it ;)
Special thanks to r1chard for taking an initiative! :)

Hopefully we'll organize some more gatherings with a larger group!

sounds good! count me in for the next 'gathering'.
Fee

sure! you're more than welcome!

Hey so i just got offered a job as a teacher in Sharjah.....just wondering what is the place like?so there is absolutely no nightlife at all?how long does it take to get to Dubai from Sharjah? Responses would be greatly appreciated thanks :D

Hey nmor92 Good Luck :)

Yes, you're right! Not much nightlife in Sharjah, but its a nice place to live and there are some nice restaurants around the city with some sightseeing attractions! And the rents in Sharjah are cheaper than Dubai ... But you can go to Dubai for nightlife anytime :)

Travel time to Dubai depends on your location in Sharjah, for example .. you can reach Dubai in 5min or 1hour depending on your location in Sharjah and departure time! :P
Currently with new Salik gate at Mamzar, it's easier to reach Dubai during weekends anytime

Good luck once again :)

Thanks for your reply James.

i heard the traffic is something desperate alright.
Is there a particular place where the teachers live...or are they scattered everywhere? Can you buy alcohol at all in Sharjah?

Welcome!! :)

Yes, the traffic is something important!

If you're going to Dubai in the morning e.g. 8am-10am, you'll face extreme traffic and you might end up spending couple of hours on road :P
Similarly, if you're coming from Dubai in the evening, you will face the same situation!

But don't forget that lucky person coming from Dubai to Sharjah in the morning as he'll just enjoy looking at others waiting on the other side of the road :P

Location of teachers, depends on the school? I guess?

Ofcourse, no alcohol in Sharjah :D

lol :P

Hi all,

Please note that some off topic posts have been removed from this discussion

Thank you

Maximilien

Hi All,
Anybody interested in a gathering? i'm coming with the place and the coffee :)

Thanks for the initiative ameena! :)

Please suggest the date and venue!! I'll be on business trip from 27th October till 1st November, it'd be great if you can suggest something before or after! :)

Hi James,

Thanks for reply :)
It seems its only you&me ...Nobody else here would like to have a coffee and a chat?
Still waiting,i'm optimistic :)

Well, I'm confident that the turnout will increase! ;)

So whats your suggest of the venues? Can we start discussing it? :)

Hii guys! I am in for a coffee and chat meetup. let me know what you guys up-to.....Thanks.

Hey everybody. I'm in for some coffee and chit chat. Please confirm the date, venue and time. :)

Yes it's been a long time since we all got together and there are a lot of new people around.

How is everyone fixed for next week? Sun 3 or Mon 4 for a coffee (Caribou Qasba? or Tim Horton's Waterfront?) then we can plan to do something the following week - Wed 13th good for everyone? Or Sat 16th if not. We can discuss when we meet for coffee. For an activity I was thinking:

Mini Golf at Al Majaz Waterfront
Bowling (I think there's one at Lord's Beach Hotel on Meena Rd)
Sharjah Aquarium

or any other suggestions. I'll get some infomation and we can discuss next week. Would also like to float the suggestion of a regular Film Club meet where we go to the cinema, say, once a month?

For now though, we just need to decide on Sun or Mon?

Opinions please!

I think sunday 3rd is fyn at Sharjah Aquarium..

is it??

any new meetings?

yasi, not sure what the Aquarium opening times are that day with the New Year, but in any case we'll discuss that for the following week.

For now, how does Sun 3rd Nov, 7pm at the Tim Horton's at Al Majaz Waterfront for coffee sound? Then we'll plan an activity for the week after.

I'll be there anyway, so hope to see some of you there. If not, the week after.....

Mm.. I will be working ... I'll finish by 9 pm...how long you will be there?  it will be good if you still there I can join you.

Hey Richard, nice to see you back :)

I'll be there to join you @ Tim Hortons !!

Not set plan Tommy, depends on how many turn up, but would be good to see you. I'll PM you my number - feel free to get in touch if you still feel up to it!