Need Advise from an American in Qatar

Hello,

I was looking for people who have moved from the US to Qatar. I am in the process of moving myself.

The HR department has given me a list of things to do - originally I had no idea about half of them but I have figured out most of them.

The biggest challenge now is "attestations", a term I had not heard before but apparently all documents have to be attested.

I.e. Degree, Marriage Certificate, kids birth certificate and etc.

I found a government link that describes what it is - but since I am already here and cant go back to get this done - I wanted to take advise from someone who went through this exercise as to how they did it and if there is a service that would do "attestations" for me.

People here who are not Americans have tried to guide me to American Foreign office and "ministry of interior" and it was not helpful because while I now understand what "attestation" means - there is no foreign office in the US, there is no ministry of interior in the US, and Degrees, Marriage Licenses, and Birth Certificates are local and state matters not federal government.

Thank you for you help.

Hello exsol.

Welcome to Expat.com!

In meantime, you can read this article on Traveling to Qatar.

Aurélie

Exsol,

Why don't you call the American Embassy here in Doha first and ask them if there is any other way to get the documents without you going to the states?

This is their number:
American Citizen Services Unit:
Email: [email protected]
Telephone:  (974) 4496 6089 (Between 1:30 pm to 3:30 pm)
For 24 Hour Emergency Assistance: Call (974) 4496-6000 to reach the Duty Officer.
Hours of Operation for Services:
- Emergency services are available around the clock.
- Routine services are available by appointment only on Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday American
- Passport Collection is on Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm 

General Embassy Contact Information
Telephone: (974) 4488-4101

I'll check with our HR department tomorrow and let you know what I find out.

Well when everything failed. Thats what I did. I called the Qatar Embassy in the US. They had a list of registered agents who provides visa processing services. Picked one closest to me and it looks like things would work out.