Working/living in Jazan - any experiences?

I've been offered a technical instructor job in a new polytechnic near to Jazan.  I'm a British man, but living and working in south Thailand for the past 10 years.

I'm interested to hear about the Jazan region and any advice from those with experience of that region.  My Thai wife will remain in Thailand to manage the small hotels that we own.

In Thailand, we live in a 100% Muslim village, so do have some (enjoyable) experiences of Islamic life, albeit the 'Thai' version.

Our joint plans for my 2-year employment is to save some money to enable us to expand our hotel guest rooms ==> more profitable business. 

My own personal plans are to study for an online postgrad qualification in international development, learn some Burmese, and then return to Thailand/Myanmar where I manage a small, charitable educational venture in south Myanmar/Burma.

Simon

Hi Simon,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Thank you for this introduction.

All the best,
Christine

Hi Simon!
Welcome to Expat.com!
Jizan is a southern remote area in KSA. A bit tough place to live in as it is far from all the major cities in KSA and the weather is extremely HOT. The cost of living will be more in Saudi as compared to Thailand
Do your home work and if you are getting an excellent package, you can give it a try.

Well, Jizan is the nearest town, but the Polytechnic and teacher housing are in small towns which look very remote, (according to Google Earth).  Perhaps the land was cheap to build :)

I realise that this will be a tough assignment, but I've lived/travelled in remote regions of Laos and Myanmar, so am under no illusions.

The package is good, and I have some concrete goals to achieve.

I previously learn basic written Arabic, so I'll certainly be hoping to improve my knowledge of Arabic during my assignment.

Simon