British or American International School???

Hi,
We are moving to Riyadh from the US in July and need some help on school selection. We are trying to make a decision between the American or British International Schools in Riyadh. We have two sons, one starting year 9 (freshman) and one starting year 11 (junior). I would really appreciate feedback on the quality  of the teaching at the schools, extent of curriculum, etc.  Also, I have read that we may encounter a waiting list? What should we expect when contacting the schools in July?
Thanks,
Sonia

Hello Sonia.

Welcome to Expat.com!

Hope other members will soon be able to give you some feedbacks.

Aurélie

Hi. We are a US/Canada family also coming soon with a daughter going in to grade 11. I can tell you that the British system is very different. I think if your children are US citizens who may be going to US colleges or making thier lives in the US... stick with the US system at this point in their schooling... ESPECIALLY for the older one. For us, the US system is closest to the Canadaian, so we will be at the US international school.

paulec1 wrote:

Hi. We are a US/Canada family also coming soon with a daughter going in to grade 11. I can tell you that the British system is very different. I think if your children are US citizens who may be going to US colleges or making thier lives in the US... stick with the US system at this point in their schooling... ESPECIALLY for the older one. For us, the US system is closest to the Canadaian, so we will be at the US international school.

I would agree with this except if the British school also offers the Baccalaureate curriculum as well. If it only offers the GCSE and A Level curriculum then stick with the American system if you are going to go back to the US during the education period of your children. I had this problem when I was in Switzerland, the British school in Montreux did have both British and US systems running as its students mainly came from Nestle families. it is worth enquiringly.

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]