You've Got Mail! Understand Kuwait's Mail System

Hello boys & Girls, me again :P

I've noticed quite a few people have been asking about shipping items into Kuwait etc. teachers supplies and other knick-knacks and what nots.

first rule off the bat that some people may not know is; Kuwait is not your average country! meaning, back home you have mail delivered to your doorstep, here you dont. you can have your mail delivered to your Business Address, but not residential. there are no post-men in Kuwait "/

So, if you work in a school/office, and want to have goods shipped in for yourself (or a magazine subscription, given that it is not deemed taboo or has pics of semi-nude ladies [which could either get censored or confiscated]) use your business address.

some might say, well i want some personal stuff i dont want people at work seeing. you have the option of going to the telecom buildings (u'll find em in your area, they're HUGE grey buildings, you cant miss em, with lots of satellites on top) and opening a post box there. they'll give u an address and a key for an annual fee. but you can only send stuff when they are open. receiving is available all the time as long as it is not on weekends (i think).

Now, in terms of taxes. People will keep believing there are no taxes in Kuwait. that's not true. there are taxes. they are called customs. when you bring in any goods from abroad, they have to go through customs, customs will charge you a certain amount for handling it. its usually 1-5% of the invoice amount, or if its used stuff then they'll just guess an amount and ask you to pay it. Not everything is subject to customs, but it is at the sole discretion of the officer on duty at the time "/

the comfort of having stuff sent to your office is that you dont have to go through the hassle of getting it from the post office yourself.

one time i did have a seller send me an item by "snail-mail" from the states, it never made its way to me for quite some time (it was a rock, a mineral, was wooing a lady by getting her a semi-precious stone with her namesake) thats neither here nor there, point is the stone never got to me (got it elsewhere tho!), but after a while i got a call from the post office asking me to come pick it up and pay a certain amount. i refused to go, so they sent it back to the shipper. alls well that ends well.

and that is the gist of mail in Kuwait.

;)

Thanks, Lecacy, for clearing some stuff up.

Does everything still apply when it is mailed to a military base?

That im not sure of. Im a civilian

These post boxes you speak of, are they the same as the APO we discussed?

no no, these are post boxes u visit in person.

the APO box is a courier, they'll call u as soon as ur goods land and bring them to u directly. they have a charge for that, as well as for customs clearance (if any) but mostly, it'll only be their delivery charge.

I learn something new here every time I log in! :D legacy- you rock!!

Thanks for the info Legacy. I can so relate to that. I had my college docs sent via FedEx through my business address. Much easier and less complicated than using the mail system.

Just reading through the post and a question popped into my mind , " with no mail systems and all.... " , is Q8 considered a 3rd world country ? let me rephrase that :)  a "Developing " country ?

Thanks !

Unfortunately I agree on that
But I hope that the postal service will be development in the near future.

:cool::cool:

Is there any way I can send a parcel outside kuwait?

I try to lookout for few international shipping but look like it required for company detail/company account,