Moving to Jeddah..stressed...pls help

Hi All,

I am a newbie to this forum and joined 4 weeks back when I was still in the process of getting an offer from the company ( a bank in jeddah).

I am originally from Pakistan but have been working in Singapore or past 5 years for an international Bank

A little back ground for me.

I work here in Singapore for an international bank. I have got an MBA and have been working for 5 years in the investment banking industry. due to various reasons, I wanted to move to Saudi Arabia (wife wants to live ina muslim society)

I was hoping to get a good offer. I just received the reply from the bank, and its below my expectations. I am quite stressed right now as I was mentally ready to make a move but seems its going to be a little tight for me , given I have a 3 years old daughter.Can you guys please help me and give your view on the offer. I am literally sleepless, it 6 am here and I still have not slept. thanks a million

1. salary: 16,000 riyal per month
2. 25% housing so basically 4,000 riyal per month
3. 75% of education of my kid
4. medical all covered. have not mentioned any limits or anything.
5. no yearly bonus (this is like 3-6 months salary paid by international banks/investment banks in far east, EU and USA, i get it currently)
6. 1 time travel to home country once a year
7. 24 working days leave per annum

now given I work with a good bank and make around 80,000/annum us$ currently + 25%-50% yearly. we are used to a fairly good style of living here. due to some personal reasons, I really wanted to move and work for this bank. However, my greatest worry is that I will not be able to maintain that standard here. I have gone through the forum in detail and was under impression that a 25,000 riyal /month would be considered good.

can you please help me get some information on the below,

1. i really want to live in one of those compounds. this is because my wife will have some company, can enjoy the basic entertainment and get the bus services to various places in Jeddah. my housing allowance 4,000 per month seems too less for a compound. Is it possible to get a 3 bedroom apartment in any compound in Jeddah (it does not have to be the best western dominated compound or does not have to be right in the centre too). something decent with compound facilities would be enough. I really dont need a villa. a smaller sized 3 bedroom apartment would be enough. I can chip in 1,000 riyal more to make it 5,000 riyal per month. any feedvack on this pls

2. i want to be able to save atleast 5,000 riyal per month + 3k for the car lease ( i heard from a friend that good car would cost that much). which leaves around 10,000 riyal per month for us to spend. education is 75% covered so i suppose i will chip in may be 1,000 to cover books, remaining feees, school bus costst etc. which leabes 6,000 riyal. Is it enought to live comfortably in jeddah? we enjoy eating out (dont want it to be fancy resturaunts in hotels) but still want to be able to spend good amount of time here. will cook mostly at home but like western groceries and brands too. is it going to be too tight in 6,000 for a family of 3?

3. i dont get an car allowance . how much is the car cost /month going to be. i am assuming i will lease a good car with around 20% down payment and 80% on lease (lets say a toyotal camry new model). any rough guesses on the running costs + lease expenses. my own guess is that a 4x4 car would cost around 150k riyal and the cost comes upto 3k riyal /motnh. is that realistic

4. i really want to have a maid as we have got one here in singapore too. how much do normal live in maids costs per month at average. would it be possible to afford a maid in a budget ot 6k riyal per month (wich is left after 6k on hosing + 3k on car)?

5. please comments generally on the offeer and how do u compare it with the banking jobs (if you know about them) in general. they dont pya a yearly bonus. is it the norm for banks in KSA to a pay a yearly bonus? how much that is in general?

i am getting to stressed i had high hopes on this. thought i will live in those compounds. live comofortably and also work in something that i like, but the money matters have made me a bit double minded

please spend some time to help me with my questions! thanks a lot! i will highly appreciate it.

I will return tomorow with details since your requesting alot of answers, but I would guess that the current offer you've shown is kinda tight, you would manage well, but maybe not the life style your looking for. I hope people living in Jeddah can give an input on the expenses though.

Salman

Thanks a lot Salman

Yeah please help me with your thoughts on this and regarding the expenses, you can comment with respect to the city you live in. I just want to get some idea.

btw i was told that I would be trained for 1.5 years and would then get a raise of 20% so this would become around 24,000/month after 1,5 years. the bad thing is that they are not considering my previous experience that muhc , in terms of pay. its a good bank to be in but i dont want to get frustrated with the expenses too.
thanks a million

Hi Salman and rest of the expats here

Could someone please take some time out to look into my questions. I have to make up my mind and reply them soon

Many thanks for your help

Omer

Hi Ishaq,

In my view the offer is way too low for somepone of your qualifications, excperience and disposition. Ive worked in a foreign bank here for almpost 20 years and I can say that you need to insoist on the following:-

1. SR 240K Annual Basic Salary
2. SR SR 80K Annnual Housing Allowance
3. SR 24K Annual Transportation Allowance
4. Free Medical Insurance for yourself, wife and kids
5. Free return Airfare to home base country for yourself, wife and kids annually

The above will entitkle you to approx SR 350K per annum.

Your expenses will be as follows approx:-

1. Compound Rent with all amenities in Jeddah SR 75K per annum.
2. Car lease or mortgage for a CAMRY or similar 2000cc Japanese Sedan SR 30K per annum. 4 wheel drive may cost SR 40K per annum
3. Utilitries, Groceries, food, etc SR 75K per annum
4. Education for daughter SR 24K per annum
5. Other/Miscellaneous SR 25K per annum

Which sums up to approx SR 225K and leaves you with a saving of approx SR 125K per annum which makes more sense in kleeping with your present income.

As far as I am aware banks always pay an annual bonmus of at least 3 months basic salary. You need to negotiate before you decide. Ive been living and working here for 30 long years now.

thanks a lot musicman. really appreciate your help. I tried to send you a private message but the system is not letting me do that here. some IT problem I guess.

Can you please give me your contact email id as I really need to talk to you

Thanks again!

or you please email me at ,

[email protected]

i really need to speak to you musicman.
thanks!

Have responded to yr email address as requested. Please contact me on email or telephone.

apologies my email id is

[email protected]

(not gmail). could you please mail be again. sorry for the inconvenience

Hi musicman

I have been trying to message you again but its says your inbox is full. Could you please delete a few message from there or email be at
[email protected]

many thanks for it. since you are working in bankng sector, I really need to speak to you. I have a limited time to reply to the offer.

thanks!

hi ishaq, I see that musicman has done you some mathematics, what else you need cleared out?

Hi Salman

Yeah I realized he did answer a lot of my questions. Just wanted someone else's perspective specially on the banking sector in Saudi Arabia.
I am going to try and reach musicman in private to discuss more since he is into banking as well.

Thanks!

Hi Musicman

can you please send me an email or delete some private messages so that I can contact you here

my email id is [email protected]

thanks a lot!
Omer

Hi, I live in Riyadh, I make more than you are being offered, I can tell you...STAY WHERE YOU ARE! Unless they make at least a 25% more. OR come under those conditions so you fulfill your wife's dream and then go home, but don't take a 5 year contract, get a 2 year contract and renew after that. But you are a young couple, with a small child, you need to think about the future. Although some times we have to do things not for the money but for the heart.
Good luck!

Ishaq,

i have sent you an email to the correct address. please respond as required. My mailbox is cleared now.