Work Permit

I can't seem to find a search button to search for topics..:/  So I am sorry if this has already been discussed...

We are from South Africa and my husband is going to be working for a school in Mauritius. 

I have read that if we arrive in Mauritius on a tourist visa he won't be able to get a work permit.

Now I know South Africans do not need a visa to enter Mauritius, we can stay for a period of 3 months I think it is...but they do stamp the passport with a visa, but don't know what the status of the visa is (my passport from our last visit there just has some kind of squiggle - can't really make out what is written)....

So...my question is does he need to apply for the work permit before he arrives, or can he arrive in Mauritius and apply for the work permit once there?

Could he perhaps travel with a letter from the school stating he will be working there, and when he arrives at the airport, give that to the immigration department???

Ok...I have more questions, but will leave it at that for now;)

Thanks!

Hi,

I think you're getting confused. There is a real difference between the work permit and the [urlhttp://www.expat-blog.com/en/guide/africa/mauritius/109-the-occupation-permit-in-mauritius.html]occupation permit[/url].

You can enter the country with a tourist visa (stamp on your passport), then apply for an occupation permit with the BOI (you must earn more than 30,000 rs per month)

You can also try to present a letter from the school but if you're asking for an occupation permit things will be much easier than for a work permit.

Maybe you should contact the BOI www.boimauritius.com ?

Thanks Julien...

Just not sure what the link to the Australian visa has to do with it? LOL

But yes, I am getting rather confused as I have been told we have to first apply for a work permit (before we can go to Mauritius) and when that is approved we can apply for residence visa :/  and then we can enter Mauritius...

I am going to try the BOI :)

The frustrating thing is my husband is also applying for Mauritius citizenship, so if that would be done in time, there will not be a need for all the work permits and visa's!  But sadly his citizenship won't be done by December :(

Thanks again Julien!

I just called BOI and they have a very different response than the government department I called earlier :/

My husband can go to Mauritius on a tourist visa and apply for the occupation permit while in Mauritius :D

oops I have updated the link, sorry. Yes things seem to be much easier with the BOI

Hi there,
If you get any reply regarding your workpermit please let me know as I also need some info on work permits.

Thanks

The work permit is obtained from the Ministry of Labour and Skills DEvelopment. The process is longer than the OCcupation permit (3 days). You can wait for as much as 6 months, with no clear indication that the permit will be granted. You always have to apply for a residence permit with the Immigration Office.

To get a work permit, you need to do the medical tests, and then submit it to the Ministry of Health for clearance. You put this clearance in your application for work permit.

Your employer needs to justify the need of your competencies. If this doesn't fall within the official scarcity area, the employer will need to prove that he advertised in the press and got no suitable solution on the local labour market. This is the kind of permit skilled labours (textiles operators, labourers, etc) get. They normally earn less than Rs30,000 per month and therefore do not qualify for occupation permits.

The employment contract has to obtain prior approval of authorities before its official submission in the work permit application file.

Irish, in which field are you? Have you obtained a proposal from a local company to hire you?

Ok...so I guess I am still a bit confused then :/

If my husband is being employed by a local school, can he go through the BOI to get his Occupation permit (I assume he gets a work permit too)and NOT through the Ministry of Labour and Skills Development??? :blink:

BOI = occupation permit

Ministry of Labour and Skills = work permit

If he earns more than 30,000rs forget the work permit, and ask for the occupation permit

Dear Purpleplexie

Considering that your husband is delocalising from South Africa and coming to work in Mauritius, I presume that he holds specific expertise in some particular field of activities/learning concepts.

In view of the fact that his family will be accompanying him in Mauritius, clearly that this won't be for a salary of less than US$1,000/-

To make things as simple as possible, his case should not be handled by the Work Permit division of the Ministry of Labour and Skills Development. Indeed, he needs to get a written offer of employment from the company which is going to employ him, necessarily stating the following:

    Post for which he has been selected
    Date of assumption of duty
    Duration of contract. This can be up to three years
    Salary, which should be not les to US$1,000/-
    The company will be providing him with free accommodation during his employment.
    It is advisable that he holds a return ticket valid for not less than two months, which gives him more tan amole time to handle all this procedures at leisure.
    He will be granted Business Visa, I emphasise that it should be a BUSINESS VISA, obtainable on presentation of his letter of appointment, and a scan would suffice.
    When he reaches Mauritius, when going through the process of getting the Occupation Permit through the BOI, he may be asked to submit the original letter of appointment – which anyway, he can get from his eventual Employer in Mauritius - as well as officially attested Academic and Professional certificates by South African Authorities.
    He will also need to carry out some specific medical examinations in Mauritius. There are many private hospitals which provide such services, and they know which tests are required. The prices vary tremendously from one hospital to another. As such, do not rush to any first communicated private hospital.
    Testimonials of his career path also are of significant help.
    The company needs to pay the fees for the grant of the Occupation Permit – Rs. 6,000/- for two years. He can get an Occupation Permit for three years against a higher fee.

Hope that this would be of help to you.

Cheers ;)

Vayid – [email protected]

Hey Vayid

Thanks so much for this info!

Hi

It seems that my partner will get a job offer in Grand Bay and we are trying to calculate the cost of living, etc.

We are not married, so not sure if I count as dependent. :) I found on the forum that we might need to send a letter to the President in this case. Have you met any similar cases before? Or maybe we should make a cohabitant agreement?

Thanks for your help.

Hana

hello Vayid!

my Name is onyx,my profession is an optometrist my employer from Mauritius given me a job offer as an optometrist to work there for 15months and given me 1,500 USD per month with free accommodation and the transportation will be refunded.how many days will be the
working Visa finished process?and regarding the job offer is this enough to sustain my cost of living in Mauritius and can still save money to send back home?

need your advice,thank you

Julien wrote:

Hi,

I think you're getting confused. There is a real difference between the work permit and the [urlhttp://www.expat-blog.com/en/guide/africa/mauritius/109-the-occupation-permit-in-mauritius.html]occupation permit[/url].

You can enter the country with a tourist visa (stamp on your passport), then apply for an occupation permit with the BOI (you must earn more than 30,000 rs per month)

You can also try to present a letter from the school but if you're asking for an occupation permit things will be much easier than for a work permit.

Maybe you should contact the BOI www.boimauritius.com ?

Hi!

Just need to verify something Julien,

So a person on tourist visa can apply for occupation permit and doesn't have to leave mauritius anymore while the permit is being processed right?

I got my Occupational Permit just a few weeks back. Got a job offer, came in on a business visa, did a medical and from there it was about two weeks before the documents were in my hands.

Point to note : You cannot work during the period up to actually getting the occupational permit. And...this is important, the employer cannot remunerate you for that period. They can (and in my opinion should) accommodate you. I'm sure there is a good reason why the law is that way but again, my opinion, prospective employers should be open about it.

I think you're getting confused. There is a real difference between the work permit

Hello madhab prasad regmi -> Just to note that this thread is a year old! ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Please I want to travel to Mauritius.  I am a teacher having a degree in Economics and a diploma in Education.  I have 19 years teaching experience having taught both in Swaziland and South Africa.  Please is it possible for me to get a teaching job,  either in Government or  Private school?

I hold a Ghanaian passport which requires no visa to Mauritius,  but are there any other conditions to be met before being allowed to enter Mauritius?

@Immac

The visa you are talking about is for tourism purposes only and is valid for a short time. You will also need to give the Immigration Office an address where you will be staying and proof of funds.

Regarding your first question concerning work, it is nearly impossible for a foreigner to find work in public education.
Private schools and institutions do recruit foreigners but only if there's no local with the required qualification and experience.
Some foreigners do work as language teachers or as lecturers/professors at tertiary level but the options are limited.

Thank you so much for this insightful information. I really appreciate it.
Thanks a lot.