Looking for an accommodation in the North

Hi everybody,

at the end of August I'll come to Mauritius to live and to work there. So I'm looking for a quiet and inexpensive refurnished accommodation with a fast internet connection (4M) in Pereybere or Grand Baie.

If you can help me, please let me know.

Many thanks,

Silvia

I know of a couple of quiet, inexpensive and refurbished accommodations around Grand Baie, although I am not sure any get 4M internet connection! Does anyone in Mauritius get 4M?

Hi Silvia,

Could you please post this advert in the Housing in Mauritius section?

Thank you.

Hi, my current letter from orange says upgrades till 4M are available at around Rs.2,349/month (inl. vat). Grand Baie area etc.

Yes, sure but... Have you ever tried looking at your actual internet speed??

[Moderated: Please post in housing section]

There is a classified section for advertisement  FWIW:
https://www.expat.com/en/housing/africa/mauritius/

Call me cynical Sandy but in your profile you make a point that you have  a house to rent which may be of interest to foreigners...are you sure you havent joined the expat forum just to push your house rental?
Also note as External says you should post in the classifieds.:(

Hi sylvia

can you give me your e-mail address . i am the owner of a bungalow at Grand Baie. i can send more photos n info throu yr mail
hve a nice day
Regards

Yes, sure but... Have you ever tried looking at your actual internet speed??

Umm no, it has detoriated to like 50 Kb/s ?

Well guess what, while cycline along the outskirts of Pereybere leading to chemin 20pieds the Mauritius Telecom had a poster there saying that they are working on the internet saturation issue. So something is being done to improve it.

@allyshan

Unfortunateley I'm not able to send you a message cause I always get the message:
Your message hasn't been sent. In order to prevent issues, the private message system is not fully activated for new users. Have you presented yourself on the forum ? Please exchange a few messages with us on the forum, and we will fully activate the private message system. Thank you !

I'm not new, but things happen and so I created a new EMail-Account especially for you. Now you can send your information about your bungalow to [email protected]

Regards,
Silvia

@Christel S.

Please can you also mail me at [email protected]

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

Silvia, I am not sure if your PM feature works yet, so I'll also share on here. There really is an overwhelming number of rental villas or apartments in Grand Baie / Pereybere. The best solution I can think of is to move to a place for a week or a month and then just look at advertisements for places yourself. All you have to do is look at the advertisement section at Super U in Grand Baie, there are already a lot of ads. I also know a couple of people who have apartments for rent, so once you get here, if you still want I can give you contact infos and take you around to visit rental places.

Dietmar, here is something I just found on internet speed in Mauritius. There is a petition for people to sign to ask Mauritius Telecom to enhance internet speed up to advertised speed:
http://www.change.org/petitions/mauriti … e_petition

[Moderated: please post in the Housing section]

[Moderated]

Hi kokooli, Are you interested in albion? if yes send me  private message
regards
tura

[Moderated]

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

[Moderated: no free ads pls]

Regarding internet access, yes MyT 4M works a lot better than the 1M, and yes it's congested from 6pm to 9pm but otherwise works decently. I highly recommend replacing Mauritius Telecom's dreadful modem for a Linksys or Cisco router though.

If you need less congestion, Emtel offers 2M Pro Wimax (which is what I use for work) but it's pricey (12,000 Rs / month). If money is no objection, you could hook up a couple of those to a dual WAN router and get 4M congestion-free bandwith.