USA to Finland

Hello everyone,

I am a 19 year American girl and I plan to move to Finland. I don't know anything about the currency or living arrangements, and how they compare to those here in states. I've never been outside the states and I really have no idea what to do. Can someone give me advice?

I wonder if there any requirements to establish residency in Finland.  I know for example if you want to retire in Costa Rica they require that you have X amount (i think around $50,000) dollars in assets to be eligible.  Costa Rica is tropical, so Finland is probably a whole different story.

Hi,

While I don't know about residency requirements for Finland, I'm pretty sure they are rather strict. I don't think it's one of those countries that you can just live in because it seems interesting; you can maybe get a visa to study or for a specific (usually high-level) job.

For English teachers searching for a job within the European union, for example, the message seems to be the same: they only hire people with EU passports (just as it is very difficult for people outside of the United States to go there to "just live"). They either need to marry somebody, have the cash to pay super-high tuition, or have a Master's/PhD and get hired for a specific job.

Furthermore, it is very difficult to get a job in Finland if you don't speak the language. Probably looking into one of their english-language university programs would be your best bet. (google search it).