What business can i have in the philippines?

Hi, im new here and been surfing on line about philippines and business there. I am planing on moving to the philippines im married to a pinay and want to move there and open a biz but from what i read and what people tell me, its not so good to open biz in philippines thats why most of the foreigner move there when they ritered but i dont want to do that! i want to move there while im still young:) so my idea was to open a gym not to get ritch but to live on. what u think? and other people told me to buy condo and rent it? because is cheap to buy. what you think about that?
thank you everyone:)

Hi
My advise to u is, yes maybe a gym will be good and positioned well it will make money but it's my experience it will only make Phillipino money, not foreign.
this is to say u will have to learn to live on Phil money or have some other sourse of income.
we run a cleaning chemical business it has a good turnover and nett return but it only supplies less than half the money we spend on living and raising 3 kids, but we have other external sourse of income, my point is if we didn't we would have to live on the business income
Pete

I wouldn't advice buying a condo, actually it won't earn much and with that capital you can already start some more profitable business.

Don't rush into investments or listen to those 'sure earning' suggestions that everybody from your neighbors to your wives long lost relatives will give you. Study first carefully to weigh your options.

hello steph21
gym is good you have to be in the right area close to the city will be good.like manila or cebu.
if you are a nature lover. i offer you my house and lot property. my property is close to the surffing capital area in Siargao Island generaluna Philippines. you  can build more cottages or make many rooms to rent it out or get 10 motorbike to rent it also you can get a Van pickup to pick-up tourist passenger in the airport. or you can make a money changer.
viktor

Invest into chunk of lands on islands - tends to rise. Then, just to keep yourself occupied on daily basis, start some online deeds, like blogging, writing or BPO. Ask me how ;)

petrih wrote:

I wouldn't advice buying a condo, actually it won't earn much and with that capital you can already start some more profitable business.

Don't rush into investments or listen to those 'sure earning' suggestions that everybody from your neighbors to your wives long lost relatives will give you. Study first carefully to weigh your options.

ahaa ok thanks

protogama wrote:

Invest into chunk of lands on islands - tends to rise. Then, just to keep yourself occupied on daily basis, start some online deeds, like blogging, writing or BPO. Ask me how ;)

online biz is not my kinda thing and blogging eather and foraigner cant own land in the philippines only 49% then the rest is for your partener in biz thx:)

Flying Fox wrote:

hello steph21
gym is good you have to be in the right area close to the city will be good.like manila or cebu.
if you are a nature lover. i offer you my house and lot property. my property is close to the surffing capital area in Siargao Island generaluna Philippines. you  can build more cottages or make many rooms to rent it out or get 10 motorbike to rent it also you can get a Van pickup to pick-up tourist passenger in the airport. or you can make a money changer.
viktor

thats interesting:) are you pinoy?

blueoakey wrote:

Hi
My advise to u is, yes maybe a gym will be good and positioned well it will make money but it's my experience it will only make Phillipino money, not foreign.
this is to say u will have to learn to live on Phil money or have some other sourse of income.
we run a cleaning chemical business it has a good turnover and nett return but it only supplies less than half the money we spend on living and raising 3 kids, but we have other external sourse of income, my point is if we didn't we would have to live on the business income
Pete

i see..but yes is what i will have to do to live on my business income only so i will have to find a good area and kinda busy but i dont want to be in manila:) thx

Steph---A gym is an interesting idea, one I havent really heard much of before for an expat. I have seen several gyms near our home, the nearest, Golds Gym (copy right laws dont mean much here lol)is very simple, some free wieghts, a walking tread mill, a stationary bike from the 60's it seems, no locker facilities, no suana just a basic place where some locals lift wieghts and such. COST: 20 pesos a day (50 cents US) there is an athletic club near by, NOMAD's, which has modern treadmills, some weight machines, a pool, tennis courts, rugby pitch, bar etc, caters to expats COST 1200 pesos a month ($30 US). As I have traveled I see many places that say they are gyms and are most likely of the first sort. In my experience Filipinos are really not that physical fitness minded like us of the west, those that are are usually from the weathier families and join well established clubs with tennis courts, resturants etc, more for the social standing and such. Having said all that if you were to open a western style gym I for one would pay western style membership fees. Problem is you would almost have to establish your self in the Metro Manila area where younger expats are located. (embassies, buisnesses etc). I might get in trouble here but it seems that the expats in out lining areas are mostly elderly retirees (late 50's, 60's and early 70's) who are really not that interested in working out, unless its 12 ounce curls of san miguel.

scotth wrote:

Steph---A gym is an interesting idea, one I havent really heard much of before for an expat. I have seen several gyms near our home, the nearest, Golds Gym (copy right laws dont mean much here lol)is very simple, some free wieghts, a walking tread mill, a stationary bike from the 60's it seems, no locker facilities, no suana just a basic place where some locals lift wieghts and such. COST: 20 pesos a day (50 cents US) there is an athletic club near by, NOMAD's, which has modern treadmills, some weight machines, a pool, tennis courts, rugby pitch, bar etc, caters to expats COST 1200 pesos a month ($30 US). As I have traveled I see many places that say they are gyms and are most likely of the first sort. In my experience Filipinos are really not that physical fitness minded like us of the west, those that are are usually from the weathier families and join well established clubs with tennis courts, resturants etc, more for the social standing and such. Having said all that if you were to open a western style gym I for one would pay western style membership fees. Problem is you would almost have to establish your self in the Metro Manila area where younger expats are located. (embassies, buisnesses etc). I might get in trouble here but it seems that the expats in out lining areas are mostly elderly retirees (late 50's, 60's and early 70's) who are really not that interested in working out, unless its 12 ounce curls of san miguel.

hahaha i see :) yeah so it be most for locals. i know i was thinking a nice gym western styl but philippino membership. I like near a beach not to big city though but laso have massage and somekind of martial hart training:) so will see i still need to do lots of research.

One of my other interst was and still are music and fim so i was thinking, What about investing on a music group or singer or even movie? the in this country people are very into film and music so that my be a good idea? what u think?

steph21 wrote:
protogama wrote:

online biz is not my kinda thing and blogging eather and foraigner cant own land in the philippines only 49% then the rest is for your partener in biz thx:)

You mentioned you are married to pinoy, ainchya? - she can own the land for ya, mate! 100%.

As for films etc., the niche you might find overcrowded and highly competitive. However, if you opt for it, my advice is to invest to something stable first, like... land in islands :0) Starts from $2k only. And then securely to go for uncommon ideas. Yap!

protogama wrote:
steph21 wrote:
protogama wrote:

You mentioned you are married to pinoy, ainchya? - she can own the land for ya, mate! 100%.

As for films etc., the niche you might find overcrowded and highly competitive. However, if you opt for it, my advice is to invest to something stable first, like... land in islands :0) Starts from $2k only. And then securely to go for uncommon ideas. Yap!

u think we can find land for only $2000? ok but then what? what can u do in a island with no water or electricity?

we are all business minded ppl, and in the phi its very cheap to get involved in business here, but the truth is the government and even Filipinos dont favor foreigners to open shop...i wanted to do the same of having business here but i look into the laws and with this mass of confusion i made a social website ..for the foreigner in the philippine and packed a load of information in the site... www.go-philippines.spruz.com ...i think i stay as a visitor  here and if i want a business i do business in america... my own country

Well said, Mike! It's true locals don't support us here flashing before their eyes. But they definitely love our approach points and ideas as well as our investments. That's why a wise one would do business remaining in a shadow of the front faces – his local family.

protogama wrote:

Well said, Mike! It's true locals don't support us here flashing before their eyes. But they definitely love our approach points and ideas as well as our investments. That's why a wise one would do business remaining in a shadow of the front faces – his local family.

well said again, my wife & I run our business but I keep behind the scenes, she is up front and collects all monies
I think this is smart in Phill
Pete

protogama wrote:

what abou the foreigner owning hotels and resort? they not all hiding though, i think it all depend on what biz you will have.  what i mean is you cant be behind the sean all the time. like i want to open a gym and i cant be hiding, i will have to be there and run my gym..see what i mean, what you think?

Steph
Look it's my belief that Filipinos tolerate foreigner only.
(anyway it's that way where I live)and it is backed up overall in the country because we can't own land or business.
but maybe if ur gym is targeting the higher class(Filipinos with money)then it could be good for foreigner to be upfront because the middle class hates the higher class as much as foreigners.
these veiws are not formed lightly they are from experience in business and listening to the experience of other foreigners
Pete

blueoakey wrote:

Steph
(anyway it's that way where I live)and it is backed up overall in the country because we can't own land or business.
but maybe if ur gym is targeting the higher class(Filipinos with money)then it could be good for foreigner to be upfront because the middle class hates the higher class as much as foreigners.
these veiws are not formed lightly they are from experience in business and listening to the experience of other foreigners
Pete

i think it depend on where you live in the philippines, maybe is this way in manila or other major citys but im not going to be living in a big city. but will see:)
thx

blueoakey wrote:

Steph
Pete

and like a said its hard to just be behind the sean when u have a business, the people are not stupid, even i have my wife in front they see me around, they know she is married to a foreigner. so i dont see the deference if im in the biz or outside? im not going to just let my wife run the biz and go to the beach all day or do nothoing in the house what the point of that? I think alL the foreigner there have deferent experience not everyone are same:)

petrih wrote:

i agree with Petrih... Try to check what's trend today, it could help you decide what business to deal with. There are factors to be considered:

1. Location of the Business
2. Target Consumers
3. The demand and supply
4. Products/Services to sell
5. Capital and Manpower

So, study first and don't forget to check each & every corner of your business plan. :)

Good Luck!! :)

seeker of truth wrote:
petrih wrote:

i agree with Petrih... Try to check what's trend today, it could help you decide what business to deal with. There are factors to be considered:

1. Location of the Business
2. Target Consumers
3. The demand and supply
4. Products/Services to sell
5. Capital and Manpower

So, study first and don't forget to check each & every corner of your business plan. :)

Good Luck!! :)

thanks for your advice:)

Hi,

Your Filipino spouse should own the business so there will be no problems on the too many restrictions Phil government have imposed to foreign investors. In any case it will be a "conjugal" property. As long as you don't mention your name anywhere in the business registration and you don't recieve salary from the business you will have no problem.

There's an article about putting up an internet cafe in the Philippines for non-Filipinos. You might mix it up with a music studio/recording studio or something related to your passion.

Putting up an internet cafe in the Philippines for Non-Filipinos

Cheers! :)

hi again, i like to know about boracay, is it expensive to rent a comercial building there? i know is lots of tourist going there and maybe thats a goo place to have a biz food or other kind. what you all think?
thanks

princeice wrote:

Hi,

Your Filipino spouse should own the business so there will be no problems on the too many restrictions Phil government have imposed to foreign investors. In any case it will be a "conjugal" property. As long as you don't mention your name anywhere in the business registration and you don't recieve salary from the business you will have no problem.

There's an article about putting up an internet cafe in the Philippines for non-Filipinos. You might mix it up with a music studio/recording studio or something related to your passion.

Thanks, i red the link you gave me. wow, i didn,t know even if you married and u open a small biz you cant get pay? i mean ur wife get the money but you as a foreigner you not supose to tell you living on the bisness money? so can i be there in the biz if i don't work in it? is that corect or i didn't understand? so how the other foreigner living there with little biz doing it?

princeice wrote:

Hi,

well i find this on a site http://liveinthephilippines.com/content … dent-visa/
When you apply for your resident visa, if your spouse is a Philippine Citizen you will be applying for a 13(a) visa. If your spouse is a former Citizen you will be applying for a 13(g) visa. With either of these visas you are also allowed to work in the Philippines!

so it means i can work :)

steph21 wrote:
princeice wrote:

Hi,

well i find this on a site http://liveinthephilippines.com/content … dent-visa/
When you apply for your resident visa, if your spouse is a Philippine Citizen you will be applying for a 13(a) visa. If your spouse is a former Citizen you will be applying for a 13(g) visa. With either of these visas you are also allowed to work in the Philippines!

so it means i can work :)

Hi Steph, basically you can work and recieve a salary anywhere in the Philippines as long as you have the corresponding visa.. including your wife's business as an employee... not as an owner, partner or investor :)

steph21 wrote:
princeice wrote:

Hi,

Thanks, i red the link you gave me. wow, i didn,t know even if you married and u open a small biz you cant get pay? i mean ur wife get the money but you as a foreigner you not supose to tell you living on the bisness money? so can i be there in the biz if i don't work in it? is that corect or i didn't understand? so how the other foreigner living there with little biz doing it?

It is assumed that you recieve money from your spouse :) ... but not as business owner, partner that you declare in your financial books.

Hello Everyone... Just like many of you, I have been racking up my brains on what kind of business to start here in the Philippines. I am a Filipino-American who have been taken a few times due to my trusting nature and western style business attitude. Anyone who would like to discuss alliance and explore possibilities with me, please let me know. I am located in Tagaytay.

i live in angeles city and id say a lot of foreigners here manage to keep up a business. i guess the fact that a bunch of foreigners (europeans, americans, koreans, etc.) have decided to settle here.

maybe for those of you who would want to invest. you might consider it here.

---

[email protected]

Hi everyone
Don't worry too much about getting paid, 1st u have too make a profit! we have a good business here in Naga City and deal with
a lot of small business but they are not very profitable because
every month some close there doors but other open up only to close in 3 month admittaly they are laundry shops, carwashs and eateries probably the most prolific and easy to open business.
we are contantly looking for the new one to keep up our sales
It is my opinion that most small business here live from hand to mouth that is no money for hard times.
Pete

Steph,

What is your expertise in your home country?  Start from there.

As to gyms, as mentioned, the dues are very low and based on amount of investment needed, will take a long time to recover. I live in Manila, most modern condos (including my office) have full gym facilities so most expats would not pay to join a gym.

Buying land is fine for the long-term, but opening a resort takes a lot of time and effort. I see a lot of smaller resorts that have very few guests as half the year its rainy season or they have poor network support. Most of the expat business tend to support mining, gas, construction, etc or other expats, Thats why AC and Subic do well as a large expat community and its still relatively cheap to live there.

Greetings:

I'm also planning to put up a fitness gym here in baguio city, but it frustrate me when i do research and notice that there are too much gym here.. A piece of advice to a feasibility study first before anything else..

Have a great day...

Sir (blueoakey)

You might want to share that business of yours here in my place (Baguio City) i'm willing to be your business partner..

Have a great day..

dwightshubalt wrote:

Greetings:

I'm also planning to put up a fitness gym here in baguio city, but it frustrate me when i do research and notice that there are too much gym here.. A piece of advice to a feasibility study first before anything else..

Have a great day...

hi and thank you for reply,
yes i know i look and search, its to hard to open biz there unless you have lots of money is not worth it to open amall biz.
all the money i save i will just use it to live there while try to open online biz, most foreigner that live there is what they do. so i prefer keep my save money and go there and work online. i figure even if i only make $500 a month it be great. i know ppl will tell you that you cant live on $500 a month but u can if you dont try to live like you do in your country just with minimum u need :) anyway good luck.

Hi
our household chemical business can be done any where, just buy
rare material from Manila, mix it, bottle and sell.
sounds easy but I'll tell u there a lot of pit falls
We only supply Naga City and Surrounds because bulk liquid is hard to transport
Pete

Gym? for me i dont think so.. better business here in phils.. apartments will do.. studio type, 1 bedroom or 2 bedrooms are better.. invest in real estate.. :)

hi blueoakey.. your from naga? my province is naga but im here working in manila.. nice to know you sir. :)

Hi Redangel
yes we live in San Felipe,beaut place, fresh air, why did u move from here to Makati?, work I suppose, Naga is growing now fast,
well the amount of new building going up, I can't believe
A new golf course has opened at Carolina.
u should see for ur self.
Pete