August Visit

Hi

We have been considering Ecuador as a retirement destination.  We have been diligently reading the posts, Blogs( thanks Dano, yours are the best IMHO), and media print for over 2 years.

My significant (very significant, according to her) other, Beth, and I are coming to Ecuador for the first 2 weeks of August.

We are starting in Quito for a International Living Symposium first week of August ( I know, probably a mistake, but decided to start there)

We have rented a car and are planning to tour the country for about 10 days ( I have driven in China, Korea, India, Algeria, Egypt, Tunisia, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Kuwait, Yemen, Chad, Libya, Israel, United Arab Emirates, Syria , Australia, New Zealand, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, and the most dangerous Florida)  So, any advise on whether  conditions for driving in Equator are more harsh than the above truncated list would be appreciated.  LOL (Oh, and I have a brand new Flash Drive of South American roads on my GPS) And best of all, Beth speaks Spanish, so when, not if, I get lost, she can get directions.

Although Cuenca is our primary destination, we have read about  other possibilities in Equator that we would like to explore (and, any additional suggestions are appreciated).

I just finished reading Dano's blog on Cuenca expat social life, so we may show up at the “watering holes” mentioned in his latest edition.  Of course, as before, any additional suggestions are welcomed (and I guess “asked for”, seeing I am writing this post)

I searched for hotels in Cuenca, and have found several that look good.  Again any suggestions are appreciated.

Well, there is my introduction.  Thanks in advance for any advice or information

John and Beth

Hello,

I think you have all set and ready for your trip to Ecuador, you drove in difficult places before, you have GPS ( but they don't work good out of the main cities) and you know Spanish.

About Cuenca, I didn't read Dano's blog but the meeting places here are Di Bacco restaurant on Tuesdays and Thursdays and Zoe bar on Fridays.

About hotels it depends how tight is your budget. There's some really nice hotels here but they're expensive.  I can recomend Santa Lucia, Morenica del Rosario, Crespo, Mansión Alcazar.

Good luck with your trip and once you're here maybe we can meet.

Vinny

Overall the roads are surprisingly excellent.  We're speaking at the IL conference so I'm sure we'll meet you there.  Hotel Victoria is another good choice in Cuenca.  See you soon--safe travels!