Waiting to exhale

I love my country and im a military vet,however,America seems to be youth oriented and very expensive to retire here. I was born and raised in a different time.A time where you saw people not just cars.Thats why i like DR.Im watching and waiting with bated breath until i can take what i have earned and leave before the "powers that be" try to renig on our pensions and social security.Im hoping my 401k dont get swallowed up by another clique of greedy billionaires and corporations controlling the markets.In DR you are not old at 50.You see people not just cars.I need to work for another 6 to 9 months to save enough and it seems Congress is on the same time track as to a decision to offer early retirement for us. So i wait,work,excercise,eat,and sleep.Dont want to do anything else gotta save.Besides i have done it all here...time to change.

Amen my friend, very well put.I'm 5 years away from making my move to DR already bought my place to retire. Best of luck .....

Thank you for serving our country....we are planning to retire in 2 years if not sooner in the northcoast of the DR.  We are from the Vietnam era and boy has this country changed ! But it is still American (for now)  Goodluck on your move,and we have been 9 times and if you are looking for peace, tranquility, smiling faces and the true love of life this is the place for you...you give up a few modern conviences but you gain it back in a great way of life with smiling faces.  Keep in touch

best of luck to you all

I'm just starting my quest to go to DR any sugestions.I am going to  Cotui.

Hi! Welcome to Expat forum.I suggest you introduce yourself to the forum and say a little about your hopes,experiences,and why you are adventuring to dr. This will help members to advise you better. Also read the many different topics and discussions about dr here on the forum. Im sure you will find some very interesting info.Til next time.

Jaxterstone

Hi and thanx for serving to keep the US safe!  word cannot express the heartfelt feelings.  We are from the vietnam era and lost many friends..my husband tried to serve but his asthma caused him to be rejected by all service areas.  We truly thank you...US has changed since then...the American dream, well it has run amuck...we are moving to the DR this month, Sosua.  We have been 11 times and I will be teaching immersion english as a volunteer....the smiles and such a happy life despite modern US conveniences fills our heart...good luck on your move...life is what you make it and the smiling peaceful minds of the dominican people is so heartfelt.  Hope to meet up with you in the DR

Welcome all! We have been here for 6+ years now. Let me know if I can provide any information for you.

Bob K

Ok its official, Im retiring Jan 31 2013 and moving to DR!
Sorry for the wait in posting ongoing updates but i was hoping so hard and did not want to jinx myself.. so here goes.
A few months after posting "Waiting to exhale" and selling my classic camaro to buy back my military time, our union negotiated a early retirement package. I was so happy that as soon as i got my offer i express mailed my acceptance the next day!
Management was speculating on who would retire because the deadline to accept was 12/03/2012.
I kept my decision quiet until 12/04/2014 because that was when management got the official list.It was such a surprise to my department managers that i was paged during the middle of my tour and asked was it a mistake!No one suspected i would go because im the senior electronic tech on my tour and i kept it soooo quiet. While the other guys where talking about their retirement processes, i soaked it all up and made my plans.
Im sorry they will be understaffed without me but they will survive and so will i.
Ive been packing and selling everything! :) Doing reseach and arranging finances. I will live a very simple life on the North coast(Hope to see you Bob K !)you have been a wealth of info.
I have to review my residency decisions not in a hurry. I have banking info and documents required.I have contacts about apartments but since the season is upon Dr i have to call back in January on some of them.
No large purchases immediately especially car and shipping only food and my bicycle in advance. I am in the process of exhaling now and everyday im giddy with excitement.
Well thats all for now,ill post regularly and maybe start a blog about my move to Dr. Thanks again everyone!

Jax

Congrats and let me know if I can help in any way.

Bob K

Yeah for you Jaxterstone!!!  I feel your joy and will be watching for posts updating everyone as you take the steps into your transition.

That's awesome. Good luck.  Perhaps we will bump into each other.

CONGRATS on taking that step!!!  Like Bob,  Happy to help if I can. I am in Santo Domingo but spent 7 years on the north coast and go back fairly often to visit and dance.....  If you need anything or are coming to SD,  let me know!!!!

Hey Sean S., I always like making new friends and thank you for your well wishes!

PLANNER!!! Ive read your posts since i started here and am honored by your response...Thank You.

Rperez,JMnorr,GordonandNancy,Elb,MJnorr,BOB K,and Oommma.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all!
And may the Force be with you all!

Jax

Same to you Feliz Navidad

Bob K

Merry Christmas to you as well!!!  Have a safe and happy holiday season!

Feliz navidad

Ok im gonna try to write a blog because this waiting to retire is horrible.Im diving in ,wish me luck! If i get permission that is:)

Jax

Jaxterstone wrote:

Ok im gonna try to write a blog because this waiting to retire is horrible.Im diving in ,wish me luck! If i get permission that is:)

Jax

Hey honey, don't try,  just do it!!!! Make up your mind and do it.  Then in 3 years we can  make a mini series for TV!!!  LOL

Planner is right just jump in and do it...spend your time investigating all that is available to you here in the DR and the kind of lifestyle you want to live....Create a blog like a running diary from now till your arrival...might just turn into a mini TV series.  I wish I had written our journey from Michigan to here...as time passes you will forget the struggle to get here as you enjoy this beautiful country and people!

Ok i did it! Its at www.jaxtajill.com. Happy reading!!!

My wife and i have secured a apartment and my biggest worry so far is over. I have 7 more post on my blog before i can submit it for review. Im trying to figure out all the things about my website especially links because Expat will be the first link.

Jax

Wow! You two must be psyched! I am visiting a couple of hospitals in March and have been counting the days. If only...

Sean S. wrote:

Wow! You two must be psyched! I am visiting a couple of hospitals in March and have been counting the days. If only...

You are visiting hospitals in DR? I hope everything is ok. Whats going on?

Jax

Nothing wrong.  I am a doctor of podiatric medicine and have been interested the lack of health care concerning diabetes, wounds and injury specifically to the foot/ankle and leg. I was hoping to do teachings or medical missions, but I prefer to these solo versus going through a church or organization. I think it is more adventurous to do things on your own...with some help from individuals.

Glad all is good. Dominicans eat a lot of starch and are seditary(layed back). You would be a great help there if they take your advice. Because of my race,and certain vices,I monitor my sugar and blood pressure regularly. My Dr. taught me how to take my bp manually because the electronic devices vary to much for me.I bike and walk 4 to 6 miles a day and its still hard to keep the weight off at 54 yrs old.Keep in touch.I'd like to follow your efforts.

Jax

Sean S. wrote:

Nothing wrong.  I am a doctor of podiatric medicine and have been interested the lack of health care concerning diabetes, wounds and injury specifically to the foot/ankle and leg. I was hoping to do teachings or medical missions, but I prefer to these solo versus going through a church or organization. I think it is more adventurous to do things on your own...with some help from individuals.

SO needed down here!!!  I am at risk for diabetes so very aware of dietary issues and care issues.  The diet here is bad for most but particularly bad for those genetically predisposed for diabetes!

If I can do anything to help, please let me know. I am in the capital!

Wow setting up a web page is an adventure. Got a story about my long distance apartment search in the DR. Kinda funny. jaxtajill.com (Perfectlyimperfect)

Jax

Good stuff honey!  I like your writing style!  I look forward to meeting you one day soon! I am off to Puerto Plata tomorrow for the weekend!!!!

planner wrote:

Good stuff honey!  I like your writing style!  I look forward to meeting you one day soon! I am off to Puerto Plata tomorrow for the weekend!!!!

Thank you Planner,your comments are very special to me because you are there and have so much experience. I will not rest until we have met face to face.

Jax

Hi My name is Dave ... I am a sports writer who has been living in Australia and now back on London but planning to come to the DR to learn Spanish in March or April. Just wondering the best way to do this, perhaps find a local student who wants ot earn some money on the side? I plan to do some work online while I am based in Santo Domingo and also wanted to check with you guys whether 3G/wifi are establised in SD. Also heard a bit about power blackouts!
Excited about the prospect of coming out, initially for four-six months, and looking forward to hopefully making contact with some of you. Any advice would be more than welcome.
ps I also play a lot of soccer and was wondering whether that is popular in DR.
Thanks Dave

Hey everyone this is Jax reporting live from Puerto Plata!I arrived 19 days ago and it has been a whirlwind getting settled in,but thankfully no problems.I am exhaling deeply and found a great apt with ocean view.I have been very busy and now I can hopefully meet Planner,Bob K. and many expats in the area.I found a great carpenter and handyman who made a platform bed for me for $100 until my bed arrives from the states.To all who visit here,I want you to know....living here is better! My handyman helped with locks and explained how the apt works.My tools have not arrived yet so I have to rely on him a little for now.There are things to get use to.Like having to run the water pump for an hour a day(the landlord pays that part of the electric bill)and having to set my washing machine in the tub :).
Hanging out laundry on the roof can be a chore in high winds.Its 2am and im sleepy, so til next time,Iam safe,well, and happy with my new life and will write more now.Thanks to all...especially Planner for giving me a wakeup call.

Jax