Cost of living in Hoi An

We're planning to move to Hoi An for several months, starting in November. It will be me and my 11 year old daughter. Would love to hear about life there, house rentals, and other kids who live there.

~Stacy

Hello Stacy.

Welcome to Expat.com!

A new thread has been created on the Hoi An forum as you were off topic on the other discussion. :)

Hope other members will be able to give you some recommendations.

Good luck,
Aurélie

Schooling will be a challenge, although there was chat about setting up a home school type of thing at a restaurant called Dingo's.

Food is best bought in nearby Da Nang where there is a choice of stores including Metro (membership).

Family Doctor Clinic has an office in Da Nang.

Housing tends to be lower than TP HCM, depending on what you are looking for. Caution: The sewage filled river is a hot spot for mosquito's.

The annual monsoon flooding will be over in November.

The beach is about 2 kilometres out of town, en route to Da Nang. Again, CAUTION: There is a drowning area on the beach right opposite the beach road intersection with the Hoi An Road.

It is so bad the local Peoples Committee even mounted a sign in English. The local hotels like to down play it as it's bad for business. The spot is marked with two red flags that look like the national flag.

Hoi An is very touristy, being the stop over spot between Hue and Nha Trang. It is child safe except for the traffic and has a small town atmosphere. There is a fairly high Foreign resident population, largely feeding off the passing tourists.

If you go by rail or air you will arrive in Da Nang, there are shuttle buses to Hoi An. Only OpenTour (killer) buses actually stop in Hoi An.

The surrounding area has many spots for outings. There are some extremely nice beacjes north of Da Nang - the beach outside Hoi An is pebble with a 2 metre drop off.

There are a few beach BBQ's that cook excellent seafood, one of the best is about a 100 metres to the left of the drowning intersection.

Hi,
You will move to Hoi An in the raining season. It will be wet and rainy. But Hoi An is a nice and peaceful place for you and your kids. I think local people are friendly sothat it's not difficult to communicate. And you kids can go to an international kindegarten.

Please ignore Jaitch. Negative posts on every forums regarding Vietnam.

(moderated: no free ads please)

AlexHoian wrote:

Please ignore Jaitch. Negative posts on every forums regarding Vietnam.

So I hope you are enjoying the start of the wet season.

As one VN agency said: "Washed-out roads and inundated homes were cited in the reports. Hue and Hoi An were among the badly effected areas"

You see Alex in Hoi An, I've been there and done that for several years.

But don't worry, it is usually over by November.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2004-11/29/xin_011101291440528777535.jpg

At other times of the year this is a street

Jaitch wrote:

Schooling will be a challenge, although there was chat about setting up a home school type of thing at a restaurant called Dingo's.

Food is best bought in nearby Da Nang where there is a choice of stores including Metro (membership).

Family Doctor Clinic has an office in Da Nang.

Housing tends to be lower than TP HCM, depending on what you are looking for. Caution: The sewage filled river is a hot spot for mosquito's.

The annual monsoon flooding will be over in November.

The beach is about 2 kilometres out of town, en route to Da Nang. Again, CAUTION: There is a drowning area on the beach right opposite the beach road intersection with the Hoi An Road.

It is so bad the local Peoples Committee even mounted a sign in English. The local hotels like to down play it as it's bad for business. The spot is marked with two red flags that look like the national flag.

Hoi An is very touristy, being the stop over spot between Hue and Nha Trang. It is child safe except for the traffic and has a small town atmosphere. There is a fairly high Foreign resident population, largely feeding off the passing tourists.

If you go by rail or air you will arrive in Da Nang, there are shuttle buses to Hoi An. Only OpenTour (killer) buses actually stop in Hoi An.

The surrounding area has many spots for outings. There are some extremely nice beacjes north of Da Nang - the beach outside Hoi An is pebble with a 2 metre drop off.

There are a few beach BBQ's that cook excellent seafood, one of the best is about a 100 metres to the left of the drowning intersection.

I am being interested in cost of living too but NOTHING here

dinhHien2006 wrote:

I am being interested in cost of living too but NOTHING here

YOUR COST OF LIVING is very dependent on your lifestyle.

Now the floods are gone for another year, you choice of accommodation has increased and the costs decreased.

Assume housing between USD$400-600, determined by your choice of type of housing.

Additional the basic rental charge will be water (50 cents/cubic metre); InterNet (depending on speed and whether metered/unlimited) $25; garbage/week $1 (not all places charge); electricity, ramps up according to consumption - average 50 cents/kWH; cable TV $4. Bottled propane cooking gas about VND400 - good for 3-4 months.

Being a tourist town prices are high BUT 30 kilometres to the north is Da Nang where you have a choice of supermarkets (Co-op is best priced). Buy local type foods is about 40-50% cheaper than buying your Western cornflakes, etc.

Assume (for 2 people) eating well, at home, $200/month.

Anything else?

StacyRae wrote:

We're planning to move to Hoi An for several months, starting in November. It will be me and my 11 year old daughter. Would love to hear about life there, house rentals, and other kids who live there.

~Stacy

Like other inhabitants living here in Hoian, I recommend you to start new experiences in such a beautiful old town. Off course, including the good and bad situation in the new place but it is a key that how we get it over.

Ps: maybe you are in hoian now, so I dont give any information but in case anybody need it, feel free to ask me.!

Regards,

Hien

i heard somebody say hoi an vietnamese is different from saigon. is that truth?

Absolutely, Hoi An  is in central Vietnam and is what I would consider a very small relaxed beach town in caparison to the north and south.

I note in all the posts that nothing has been said about the new international school and kindergarten. Green Shoots. My son attends and it is fantastic, in fact the schooling is probably better than other parts of the country.

Also there is no resin to go to Da nang as there are very well priced food outlets like Mr T, A mart and local produce stores but as you are probably already here, you will have discovered for yourself h.

Hope this helps.
Kerre

[Moderated: off topic]