Visa: this strange animal...

Hi!
I'm gonna start an internship the 25th of June or the 2nd of July( it depends on how much time it's gonna take to prepare all the papers for my Training Employment Pass).
In the meanwhile I have to book the flight and find a place to stay. So I was thinking to come at least 5 days before the 25th of June in order to look for a room.

Now comes the question just a sec...

The TAP will cover me from the first day i'll start to work till the last one(right?). If I wanna come earlier, I should have a visa. But, I read on your visa section that,

For a stay of less than 3 months in Singapore, a visa is not necessary for most foreign citizens as well as for nationals from several Commonwealth Countries.

And that I should have a return ticket.

I am tring to figure out how to manage it. Should I take a return ticket that I'll not use?
Do you have any advice for me?

Thank you for your help! Sorry if I've been spun-out!

"The TAP will cover me from the first day i'll start to work till the last one(right?)"

Yes that's right. The moment your pass is issued, your tourist visa is cancelled and your entry/re-entry permit is tied to your TAP.

You don't need to purchase a return ticket. one way would do - with EU passports, you won't be refused entry because you don't have a return ticket. In any case, even if they do ask you why don't have a return ticket, you could just show them your approval letter for the TAP and they'll let you in for sure.

Just one more thing to add for your room search. It's illegal to let rooms (other than hotel/hostels rooms/serviced apartments) to tourist visa holders in Singapore.
So till the day you actually get your pass issued, you don't have the right to rent a room. But yes, nothing prevents you from searching while waiting for your pass to be issued. If you do happen to find a room before your pass is issued, the landlord may be accommodating and come to an agreement with you on the basis of the TAP in-principle approval, but the lease agreement itself cannot be executed before the issuance date of the pass.

Thank you ruddy! U helped me a lot! Especially about the room rental!

Add to the above:
It is also illegal to let rooms to people with visa below 6 months duration. Thus you are still limited to hotel/hostels rooms/serviced apartments (from S$2000/month for a fleahole, or S$3000 for a more reasonable place).
I hope your employer arranges accommodation for you!

beppi wrote:

Add to the above:
It is also illegal to let rooms to people with visa below 6 months duration. Thus you are still limited to hotel/hostels rooms/serviced apartments (from S$2000/month for a fleahole, or S$3000 for a more reasonable place).
I hope your employer arranges accommodation for you!

I'm gonna have a 6 months visa, so I think that there's no problem about that...

Although 6 months is the legal minimum, most landlords are unwilling to agree to rental periods below 1 year (and contracts usually have no possibility for earlier termination). Sublet rooms are more likely. Count on S$1000 a month or more for one.
Good luck!

You'll be able to get tons of apartments where you can get a bedroom to yourself for $800-$1000 a month (and these are in condo's where there are swimming pools and gyms). If you're looking for something more scaled down, you can get a decent room in $600 as well.

let me know if you need a place to live, i'll put you in touch with the right people, there are tons of college students (girls, don't worry) who are always looking for someone to take up a room for a few months.