Going to live in Accra

Hi everybody,

I am about to live in Accra from August 2012 with my wife and my two children.

We were in Nepal before stepping a year in France. Africa is very new to us and we have lots of questions, perhaps too many :)

How much should I invest in a second hand car? And where to find a reliable car dealer?

We will be living in dworzulu. Where is the closest hotel or club to go for gym, swimming and tennis?

What is the approximate salary of a housemaid and a diver in Ghana?

Are there expat associations or clubs that new expats can join?

Thanks a lot for any information you can provide.

If you look at accraexpat.com you will find cars being offered by expats who are leaving. Other than that you can look at the car section on ghanaweb.com to get the prices of cars in ghana.
Dworzulu is convenient for lots of places so I am sure you will find the facilities you need relatively close by.
I am not sure of the salary of a housemaid or driver. I suppose it depends on what the person expects and whether they live in or live out.
Look on accraexpat.com and you will find lots of clubs and associations that you can join.
I hope you will be happy in Ghana. Good luck.

Thank you all for your answers.

Could I ask how much I should budget for a mobile monthly plan? And which brand is better?
Same for cable TV?
And same for high speed internet (if such thing exists)?
Thank you

Cable TV costs according to the package you subscribe to. We are on the most expensive and it costs about US$80 per month. It all depends what you want to watch. Calls are not too expensive here. I only have a pay as you go plan and GHC 20 seems to last me quite a long time and that includes a 30 min phone call to the UK once a week. We have modem in our house and that provides good internet connect. We use i-burst and have found it OK. Now GHC 35 is giving us more than enough megabites for the month. I hope someone else can give you information on other providers.