Schools for non Catholics?

Hi

I have been planning to relocate with my wife and are young daughter but am wary of putting her into one of the schools that follow Catholic prayers at assembly and before eating.

I have been looking at various private schools and have been told they are tolerant, that are daughter could opt out of praying but I wanted to know if there is any schools that don't follow the Catholic religion (I know Malta is about 97-98% Catholic but thought I would ask)

I am wary as I don't want our daughter feeling uncomfortable with this and secondly that other kids may pick up on her not joining in etc

Thanks
Steve

Its not just opting out of prayers, but the several hours a week of catholic indoctrination (AKA religious study, but don't expect analysis of the pros and cons of different religions and religion v atheism)

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the only school that doesn't teach religion is Verdala International School.   Not sure about QSI, they may not teach it either.  I believe any school following the Maltese curriculum is obligated to teach religion though (which almost all the private/independent schools do).  So only the truly ‘international' schools wouldn't.  Hope someone else can confirm this or suggest any others that don't. 

My kids go to one of the ‘independent schools' (San Andrea) and there are definitely children there from non-Catholic faiths.  You do have the option for them not to participate in the religion classes, but it is considered a ‘core' class in secondary school.  They have mass at school a few times a year (definitely not weekly) and children can opt out of that as well.  I think they only have a religion lesson once a week. Not sure about the prayers.  I know in the early years my kids would say a simple blessing before their meals.  I'll try to find out more from them of what is done now (they are both in upper primary now).  During the year the kids do their ‘first communion' there were several children in my son's class not participating.  So he wasn't the only one (I'm Protestant, my husband is Greek Orthodox).  My kids do go to the mass when they have them, even though they aren't Catholic.

Hope that helps a little.

For anyone reading this that may be interested in religion in  nursery schools...

My daughter attends Niki's Nursery in Sliema. My daughter is aged 4. I know that she does the sign of the cross and says a little blessing before lunch. I have asked her several times what she prays for and what the prayer is about. The reply is always 'I pray for my lunch!', so clearly no heavy religious aspect.
I did expect religious activities during Christmas time last year, but of eight pictures brought home, just one was linked to religion, the rest were festive. Same goes for christmas carols too.

Hi,

When my son was at Chiswick, even though we specifically stated time and time again that he was to opt out of anything religious, he had to sit in with the following.

Assembly prayers daily.
Lunchtime prayers daily.
Mass.
Training for Catechism.
Religion lessons were spent in the same room in the book corner.

It got to the point he used to stand up and leave the room saying I'm not supposed to be here.

We found a total lack of support or respect for opting out.

Mel

Thanks for all the comments I really appreciate it, I have decided I will have to look at relocating elsewhere

Both my kids got to Newark and are non catholic. They say a little pray for lunch(more of a thank you to mum and dad for giving us the food). With the schooling side of it my son in KG1 does nothing but my daughter who is 5 in JR1 has a little workbook that they colour in once a week. But the school will ask you whether you want this to happen or not. They have had Mass once this year and we got a letter to sign if we wanted them to sit it out. It wasn't a problem at all. Best of luck with the move.