Flour and baking question

Hi everyone

At home in Australia we use what's called Self-Raising flour for baking. I cannot read the labels in the grocery shops here to work out what I need! I have flour but it's plain.

Is there such a thing as baking soda, a raising agent or self-raising flour? If so can you please let me know what label to look for in Hungarian?!

Thanks

Steph

Edit - I just found out baking powder is called sütôpor (I know the accent on the O is wrong...) any other clues on flours? :/

What are you baking? Bread, cake, biscuits, other? For making bread, use yeast (élesztő); it takes longer to rise, but makes the best (and healthiest) breads.

klsallee wrote:

What are you baking? Bread, cake, biscuits, other? For making bread, use yeast (élesztő); it takes longer to rise, but makes the best (and healthiest) breads.

I should have mentioned, I am baking cakes, muffins and I have a pancake recipe that calls for a raising agent or self raising flour.

Yes, "sütőpor" is baking powder. Sold separately in small paper packages in the baking isle in every shop.

Flour comes in two grain sizes: "finomliszt" is finer ground, "retesliszt" is rougher ground.
Whole grain is "teljes kiorlesu", Graham is some part of the wheat (the germ maybe?) mixed back.
Wheatgerm is "búzacsíra", bran is "korpa", each sold separately and you can mix them back together :-/
(Something to do with different shelf lives, and most people only use white flour anyway.)

Non-wheat products are prefixed with the name of the grain:
rice is "rizs", barley is "árpa", oat is "zab"...
Oh, and flakes is "pehely".

Have fun and good luck baking!

szocske wrote:

Yes, "sütőpor" is baking powder. Sold separately in small paper packages in the baking isle in every shop.

Flour comes in two grain sizes: "finomliszt" is finer ground, "retesliszt" is rougher ground.
Whole grain is "teljes kiorlesu", Graham is some part of the wheat (the germ maybe?) mixed back.
Wheatgerm is "búzacsíra", bran is "korpa", each sold separately and you can mix them back together :-/
(Something to do with different shelf lives, and most people only use white flour anyway.)

Non-wheat products are prefixed with the name of the grain:
rice is "rizs", barley is "árpa", oat is "zab"...
Oh, and flakes is "pehely".

Have fun and good luck baking!

Thank you so much!! That helps a lot. I bought the baking powder and mixed it with the plain flour, seemed to work but our oven is not the best! Having the extra info is great, thank you!!

Hi Stef; there's no self-raising flour here ... Buy normal flour (buza liszt; the best brand is Nagyi Titka). Then add sutopor to it: if you add one teaspoon of baking powder to one cup of flour you'll have made yourself self-raising flour!
Daisy

Edit: in my dorky eagerness to reply to this I didn't even notice the other replies, or the fact that you posted a while ago ... sorry! If you have any other baking questions though, please get in touch! I literally taught myself the Hungarian language (slowly, painstakingly, roughly) from Hungarian recipe books, and my NZ baking background will be very similar to your Aussie one!

baking SODA is szoda bikarbona, in case it matters :-)

I've gotten into the habit of googling recipes without things Hungary doesn't have, or just search for "make your own self-raising flour".  So many hacks for flour, buttermilk, solid vegetable fat, Miracle Whip, etc etc.