New Filipino Expat in Riyadh

hello to all expat there specially in riyadh k.s.a, i am Filipino, i will be working in riyadh k.s.a as waiter maybe this coming month, all i want to know is the life out there..

i need more information about riyadh, are the people there is friendly?

is there any expat events held in riyadh?

where can i find Filipino community in riyadh?

can i take smoke there? (dont care about alcohol) LoL =)

please tell me more about living in riyadh..

thanks in advance..

Hello buddy and welcome to the forum

From what i know, Philipino's have a big netowrk in Riyadh so
assuming your a nice person (!) you will have no problemo!

All the best to you, and btw, try stop smoking :) !

thanks for the info.. and why to try stop smoking?... is smoking prohibit in riyadh?

not sure if smoking is prohibited in Riyadh, i dont think it is, i just shared some advise from a health perspective ;)

I know there is a large philipino community in Riyadh :)
Smoking is fine here as long as it is just cigarettes! They are also very cheap here!
(not that I'm encouraging you to smoke! hehe.)
Good luck!

thanks for your concern.. but i think smoke is the way for me to survive from Home Sick. LoL. =)

thanks britgirly! haha! dont worry i smoke only cigarette. hope to see yah there soon..

Smoking is bad for your health but may be the only thing that you will have to be of a consoling factor to you here. The boredom is maddening unless you live in a place where you have sporting facilities, have people around willing to do something with you or (lucky you) you belong to a big group of Expats here which are easy to bump into.

Anyways good luck. I live in a hotel here for now until I will go to a Compound. I play tennis and football and hope that folks in the Compound will be the active types.

Good Luck

Phil

Thank you for that info Johnny!.. Hope to see yah there soon!.. I will be working in Wooden Bakery maybe by month of July.. And thats why i am asking about living in riyadh. Coz i dont want to die because sa boredom!.. LoL!.. ^_^

welcome to EB.....regarding smoking...you can smoke your lungs out...lol...let's see if you can stand the heat during the 48-50+ temperatures...July would be the middle of the summer season in Riyadh. Good luck to you Kabayan. Cheers.

Randzei27 wrote:

i need more information about riyadh, are the people there is friendly?

is there any expat events held in riyadh?

where can i find Filipino community in riyadh?

can i take smoke there? (dont care about alcohol) LoL =)

please tell me more about living in riyadh..

thanks in advance..

hi kabayan. let me answer to this very quickly. been here for almost 2 years now.

1. friendly?- generally, NO. Not even the Filipinos here are generally friendly. Come on, kahit naman sa bansa natin, hindi lahat palakaibigan. Sakay ka ng MRT, tingnan mo kung may kakausap sayo. :) Just be careful that when you smile and be friendly with anyone, they might take advantage of you, or like think that you are a "prostitute". (you will slowly understand that when you are here, when you ride the cab, or when you are in the mall) You will discover more when you are here (if you're not yet here), from the Airport alone, you will have an impression if they are really friendly, OR NOT.

2. Expat events- yes for Pinoys. A lot. Some underground, mostly in the embassy. Parties, yes, but definitely "silent" (but you will discover some "loud" parties too.

3. Fil Community- in the embassy. THough it depends on your interest. If you are into sports, what sport, etc., you will find it here.

4. smoke (cigarette)- you don't need to take it here. you can buy it here (in nice packs, actually, and different types). i don't smoke, but i see a lot of people smoking- everywhere. smoking is not prohibited, but of course, it is bad for your health. you can get away from home sickness with other activities not dangerous for your health :)

if you have more questions, shoot me a PM and i will send you my answers. you may contact me once you are here also, will definitely love to meet you.

Thank you for that info mr. Riyadh11. Thanks alot!.. Hope to see yah der!.. Or u can visit also in Wooden Bakery coz i will be working der soon..