Interest in moving to Bali

Hi everyone,

My name is John, I am 28 years old and live in New York City. My girlfriend and I are ready to leave the US and become expats.  We are extremely interested in Bali, and if we had the opportunity to move within the next few months we definitely would.  I am pretty much just looking to get our feet in the door with whatever opportunity we can get, however my current industry is Telecommunications and her's is Sales Management.  If any opportunity existed in either of those fields, we would jump on them as soon as possible.  However, we are more than willing to work outside of our industries if we had to. 

Does anyone have any advice on how we can get our feet in the door in Bali?  Are these goals attainable at this point in time? 

Thank You,

John

Hi John!

Welcome to Expat.com!

Armand

Hi Armand,

Thank you, looking forward to the experience.

John

Jobs for expats are pretty slim here, most people I no do fly in fly out work from Australia, or export thins from hear to there own country to make money and some just do nothing :) if your looking for some cheap and nice accommodation till you guys get settled send me a MSG I've always got a spare room or 2. Goodluck

Very interesting, thanks for the info Fenwah.  Is it easier to find work in Bali after moving out there?

Hi, John. You know, it's always better to do some serious pre-planning if you move somewhere for a long time. I didn't though (I'm not able to do any sorts of planning) and it's working out for me somehow. I moved to Bali in January 2012 with only two weeks between the decision to move and my flight to beyond the equator. I love it. Good luck to you and - start packing))

Hi Nastia,

Yes I definitely have been trying to get together some type of set plan before I leave the US.  But I really think its going to come down to just doing it and hoping for the best.  Is there a lot of job openings available out there right now?

John

well, there ARE jobs openings, it's just sometimes tricky to find'em)) and often the money you get here are less than you could have got back at home doing the same things. that's why it's probably better to try to find something beforehand, like freelance or some US company with branches or whatever in Bali which needs people here. and of course talk to people (once you move), make friends, be sociable and ask. my experience ,and it worked))

sorry for the late reply, I'm not sure about looking for jobs here as i have never done it. most things in bali are best done once your here tho. i heard someone once talking about a place called english town, where you teach english online through them or something. but i have no more information about it then what i just told you sorry...

Hi John,

I have been coming and going from Bali for about 3 years. Realistically, you won't find a job here. I am able to do it because I can work remotely and travel a lot, but I don't have any hope of getting a job in Bali. Maybe in Jakarta, but you would have to be very specialized or be upper management. Most likely is to get a job in the US with requirement to relocate, otherwise you are competing with locals at local wages ($300/mo suit your taste?).

If you can do something remotely it may work, but note that internet is horrible. Startup a business is a possibility, but lots of paperwork. Hotel management is a possibility, also selling property, but these are thankless/low pay opportunities.

But who knows, if you are diligent enough, something might happen, so good luck!

-CG

John,

If you and your GF are willing to be English teachers then I could recommend couple of International School in Bali and/or Jakarta for both of you to try.

However, as CG mentioned, realistically the salary won't be as good as the usual expatriate's salary (those who moved out by their HQ company, or such).  If you are willing to live the regular way of locals live than $ 500.00/month/person will give you pretty decent way of living, but won't be expatriate style.

Things are cheaper than in the U.S., but beers and imported stuffs are rocket prices.  If you are willing to change your life style into local style, then again - you will do well.

If you want to keep your U.S. or expatriate life style, then you may need to get at least mid level of management (usually require either lots of mid-management experience or Postgraduate Degree, where they pay you min. $ 6,000.00/month

hey john..
Yes it is so hard to find job for foreigner in Bali especially through internet,. Its also hard to find even when you are here... the possible job you can get here are to be english teacher in international schools in bali and be a part of the company thats owned by foreigner. it will be easier to get job in US company since you are from USA. try to check what US company there is here in Bali..
You can also work in US school that having courses or short program that study abroad ,, .
for example i have a friend who work in Norwegian school and he comes to Bali every 3 months, so 3 months living while working here, the next 3 months he works in Norway, go and come.

Good luck for you 
dw

Hi all. Hi Nastya. Could you please estimate the overall ratio of Russians among both expats and tourits there?

Russian tourist arrivals to Bali are now in the top ten of nationalities and comparable to tourist arrivals from the UK, USA and Taiwan. 

They seem to enjoy the upscale resorts of Nusa Dua the most, and their reception here as tourists is often not good, this blog being just one of many current blogs on the topic as well as numerous forum entries:

http://www.travelblog.org/Asia/Indonesi … 27055.html

These days a number of the monthly magazine publications put out for tourists include a whole section written in Cyrillic.

It's harder to get an accurate accounting on the ratio of Russian expatriates to other nationalities.  But, they are here, and it seems that Jimbaran and Lovina are the areas  most favored by them.

Hi there,

Have you actually travelled to Bali before? If not, then maybe its a good idea to check out how things are there. Aswell as some other asian countries that might interest you and your Gf. Just so you know what you're expecting :-)

As for job, its really not easy. But if you're willing to English teachers, I think there's always a chance somewhere, just not sure abt Bali.