Preplanning move to Edinburgh end of Feb 2013

I have just purchased my flights to London arriving at the end of Feb 2013.  Planning on a couple of visits in England before I settle in Edinburgh for 1-2 years.

I have a couple of questions:

1. What does Edinburgh EH1 mean?

2. What is the job market situation at the moment?  I am currently working as a Legal Executive and although I won't be able to use my qualification in Edinburgh, I would like to continue working in law.

3. Does anyone know of any good recruitment agencies I could get in touch with?

EH1 is the city centre. The best way to get a job here would be to make connections with recruitment agents here via the equivalent ones in Auckland, if that is where you are now. Michael Page and Hays both operate in the legal recruitment market in Edinburgh. keep in mind though, we are in the middle of a recession. And it's not like London which is like a massive melting pot and no one cares where you are from. Edinburgh has more in common with Dunedin than Auckland. Very much who you know. Having an introduction from a recruitment agent in NZ would help.

Hi Deb,
I read the answer about the Auckland girl. I move too for finding a job in finance or something else. Is it difficult to be introduce in agencies?
BR
Jean

Aliburton wrote:

Hi Deb,
I read the answer about the Auckland girl. I move too for finding a job in finance or something else. Is it difficult to be introduce in agencies?
BR
Jean

Put it this way. Agencies are into helping people who can get them assignments, so are already based in a job and looking to move. So they ides would be if you, the recruitment agent, can help them get to where they are going, once they are in a job they will return the favour by using you if they need someone.

Edinburgh isn't like London. Most of the finance people up here are either local (so have the connections through their families to get into finance jobs) or transferrees from places like london and further afield.

So it might be better to go through an agency in somewhere like Paris who can connect you with the appropriate jobs and people over here. A lot of people who come here to work, in the finance side of things at least, have already teed up their jobs before they arrive.