Advice?

I just signed up for this site and would love some of advice... My wife and I are thinking of getting out of the Rat Race and slowing things down. We would love some input on places for us to look to move to. We originally were looking at Costa Rica but are open to other central American countries. Thanks in advance for the Help!!!

What we are looking for....

1. Safe for a family
2. Affordable
3. Close to medical care for our children
4. Opportunity for some type of employment. Would love a chance to start a small business. ( 4 wheeler rental, Ice cream stand, maybe bed and breakfast) something small like that.
5. Will rent at first but may buy after 6 months or so if we like the area. Would love something to rent around $500 per month we would need 2 beds.
6. Internet, Phone, Cable, A/C where needed.

About us....

1. Myself 35 years, My wife 33 years, twins boy and girl 6 months and our chihuahua.
2. Income from the states of $2000 a month with out having to go into savings. We are liquid with no bills.

Does it sound like we could make it work on our income? Please give me your suggestions on where we should look. We would like to make a move in the next 6 months.

Thanks again!!!

I'll explain what I have done, I did Costa Rica but it's very expensive if you are on a fixed income, I also lived in El Salvador and Honduras but came back to Guatemala to stay. IMO the cost of living is very good and on $2,000 per month you will not have any problem. You can buy health insurance family plan which should not be expensive, no problem there. Crime is like anywhere else. I've been here almost 18 years and never had a problem, use your common sense and you'll be fine.If you are looking to live in Antigua remember it a high tourist area and things get pricey especially real estate. I live right outside Antigua (15 min.) and I pay $180 per month 3br w/3full baths, in Antigua it would easily cost $500+. There are plenty of bi-lingual schools for the kids that are excellent.
I can say moving to Guatemala was the best move, no regrets.

Additionally Medicine is pennies on the dollar I buy a big bag of all types of meds, Diabetic,High blood pressure, heart, cholesterol plus insulin and I pay about $60 per month in the states $1000+ Opening a business is painless pay Q800 ($100) for a regular business license and you set. No nonsense, No regulations again painless. No More Rat Race Friend!!!

Traveler 57 Thanks for the info!!! Do you have any suggestions close to the beach? Once again as safe as possible. Also what type of family things are there to do outside and in Antigua? A friend of mine went there and said he loved it. Is there a certain area that has a larger concentration of expats?

Thanks again Traveler 57 for your input and anyone else as well!!

Personally I prefer to drive to the beach but not to live there. As far as family activities - tinyurl.com/77pfcb9. This is a really nice place to bring the kids, big water park, has everything.You can spend a day or two right there, I brought my kids there they have a blast. From here you can go to Panajachel and Atitlan - tinyurl.com/6nuo8du. To find things to do with the kids are endless.. Really
Expat community would be in Antigua