Recommended restaurants (all round the island)

Hi guys!
Just wanted to propose to share our recommendations regarding the various nice restaurants around the island.
As I am living in the north, I know the places around there better.
But what can you recommend in your area?

Being a Russian, I was of course very pleased to learn that there is an authentic restaurant opened now in Pointe aux Canonnier. Great traditional cuisine. The place is well adapted for families as it has a kids corner. My daughter walked out of the Russian Hut yesterday saying: "best restaurant ever" :))

Among other favourites in the North I can mention:
- Z Grill (former Don Camillo)
- Banana bar
- Hidden Reef
- Paparazzi
- Chateau Labourdonnais
- Patch & Parrot
- Beach House
- Sunset Cafe in Grand Bay
- Cocoloko

Where do you go often?

One other thing that I also found very useful is to apply for a PASSPORT GOURMET card. It cost only Rs 1,500 for 1 person and Rs 2,000 for a couple and gives you 15% discount in a wide selection of restaunrants (nice ones) all around the island. And if you do go out once or twice a week, you get your money back very fast :) Have you tried it yet?

Hi Natasha,

I guess this page can also help : restaurants in Mauritius

do not hesitate to recommend your favorite restaurants ;)

Great! Thanks! i will have a look

Hello Natasha

Where i get this PASSPORT GOURMET card?
Labourdonnais is also my favorite place!

Moonika

Hi Moonika,
You can apply for Passeport Gourmet by sending an e-mail to Pascal on [email protected] or applying in one of 20/Vin stores.
Thank you for the other discount link. I will have a look :)
Natasha

1974 - Italian cuisine in Trou aux Biches right on the Coastal Road. True mediterenian food in the best "like Mom cooks". Antonio and Julia, the owners are great people and make the place special. Very tasty. If I do not eat at Russian Hut I will probably go there most of the time. Bel Amigo is another great place for the gourmet freaks.

Great advice, Anton! Thanks. Indeed, Bel Amigo is wonderful!!!

Where is that BelAmigo?
Do they have homepage?

bella-amigo-and-fine-foods-shop.restaurant.mu/ It's a complex. Processing plant, restaurant, shop.
Reviews (RUS)

Hi,

I would definitely recommend Meltin' Potes in Moka (Call for reservation); Opium in Reduit and in Bagatelle, which is a shopping mall, there's a bigger choice...
Happy Rajah is a nice Indian restaurant at reasonable prices in Quatre-Bornes. And in that same area, you will find a few nice chinese restaurants namely: Dragon Vert, King Dragon and Spring Restaurant...

@ Natacha: Looking forward to try the 'Russian traditional cuisine'...

Anyone can suggest a nice seafood one in the north area? I've heard about one in the vicinity of Vale?!?!

Thanks for the share guys... very helpful!!

Joel

Hello,
A Nice sea-food restaurant is Restaurant Amigo at Cap Malheureux, or you can have a bigger and cosier one near Petit Raffray - Pavillon, called Reve D'or,  but you must be aware of that by now...:)

Have a nice stay in Mauritius,
Nit

Botteghita (Italian)  on coastal road grand bay
selFish on coastal road pointe aux cannoniers

for special occasions as its a bit pricey, Chateau Mon Desir @ Maritim hotel ( esp their Champagne brunch on a Sunday)

Also Rasoi @ St Geran hotel on east coast

I would debate some of the suggestions already given by others but let's not go down that road eh? ;)

I agree with Gurj and particularly don't agree with one of the suggestions mentioned above. For what it's worth, here's my somewhat west-coast centric list...

Le Chamarel - for food & view - and L'Alchimiste at the Rhumerie de Chamarel nearby. Unfortunately they're both open only for lunch

Vanilla Bean cafe at Black River for very fresh outdoor cafe-type food and their own baked goods

Zucca at Ruisseau Creole for Italian, also in Black River

For Pizza - La Cosa Nostra at Tamarin & Mani in Pasta (erstwhile Chez Roberto) in Beau Bassin

Boulette's Palace in Quatre Bornes have the perfect timings and menu for post-party grub in the wee hours of the morning

Twins Garden in Flic en Flac has really nice food normally - but the buffet on their buffet night is pretty mediocre (also it coincides with their Sega night so maybe one isn't supposed to focus on the food)

I did enjoy the Russian Hut a lot - but more for the variety of vodka(s) available than the actual food. To be honest, I tried so many of the former that I can't remember the latter very well :) - so my fault not theirs

For more detail about the restaurants mentioned, I blogged last year about my favourite restaurants - http://expat-mauritius.blogspot.com/201 … itius.html

And added another post recently after visiting Russian Hut - http://expat-mauritius.blogspot.com/201 … itius.html

I'm very intrigued by the description of this place in Petit Raffrey - Rêve d'R at Bella Amigo. They are a restaurant and fish-monger both? So the seafood must be really fresh? Next on the to-do list...

Laviemaurice wrote:

I agree with Gurj and particularly don't agree with one of the suggestions mentioned above. For what it's worth, here's my somewhat west-coast centric list...

Le Chamarel - for food & view - and L'Alchimiste at the Rhumerie de Chamarel nearby. Unfortunately they're both open only for lunch

Vanilla Bean cafe at Black River for very fresh outdoor cafe-type food and their own baked goods

Zucca at Ruisseau Creole for Italian, also in Black River

For Pizza - La Cosa Nostra at Tamarin & Mani in Pasta (erstwhile Chez Roberto) in Beau Bassin

Boulette's Palace in Quatre Bornes have the perfect timings and menu for post-party grub in the wee hours of the morning

Twins Garden in Flic en Flac has really nice food normally - but the buffet on their buffet night is pretty mediocre (also it coincides with their Sega night so maybe one isn't supposed to focus on the food)

I did enjoy the Russian Hut a lot - but more for the variety of vodka(s) available than the actual food. To be honest, I tried so many of the former that I can't remember the latter very well :) - so my fault not theirs

For more detail about the restaurants mentioned, I blogged last year about my favourite restaurants - http://expat-mauritius.blogspot.com/201 … itius.html

And added another post recently after visiting Russian Hut - http://expat-mauritius.blogspot.com/201 … itius.html

I'm very intrigued by the description of this place in Petit Raffrey - Rêve d'R at Bella Amigo. They are a restaurant and fish-monger both? So the seafood must be really fresh? Next on the to-do list...

Enjoyed reading your blog and happy that you liked the vodkas! There is a new Executive Chef in Russian Hut who has just started and the MENU got upgraded with fusion of many European and International dishes. Would be keen to know your opinion as well.

Have a great weekend!!!

Moustache Bistro in Black River for those in the West? New management, great food, great feel. Amazing tapas or plats, amazing wine selection.

I definitely will Olga, thanks for letting me know.

Divino's in La Croissant does really nice food, although it can get a bit windy.

Les Cannises which is just next to the Beach House is nice.

In the Black River area:

Medium Rare in Black River - excellent steaks and Ribs -been lots and have never had a bad experience there and the food is always so yummy :)

Corner Bistro near the Gorges, is excellent for a nice lunch.

Casa Nostra does excellent authentic pizza's based on corner near Tamarin Bay.

Sakura in Grand Bay - great tepanyaki!

We like Saffron Grill in Mont Choisy Mall which serves great south Indian food at great prices - none of its spicy so even my daughter loves it there.

Hiya
I like luigi's in grand baie ( laid back italian resto that also does a good steak) and domaine ana near flic en flac.

Not really a restaurant. Just good pizza - i-Pizza in Ruisseau Créole, Black River. Very italian taste)

Can anyone comment about the current situation of vegetarians in Mauritius.
1. Do people the common people fairly understand Veg and Non Veg.
2. Only pure Veg restaurants available?
3. The vegetable markets and fish meat market are altogether or different and separated there?

Hello Prashant,
1. I'm not vegeterian, but I have a veg friend, I can say that here pretty a lot of people who eat veg food. And it's usual to see in restaurants and even in simple bistro -  menu with veg paragraph. But in some places people just dont care.
2. In this I am not competent.
3. if you mean marketplace, I can say that there available vegetables and meat. But they situated separately. Meat and fish sellers are in separate    compartments.
Usual big supermarkets are typical as I saw in Europe and in my country.

916677 wrote:

Can anyone comment about the current situation of vegetarians in Mauritius.
1. Do people the common people fairly understand Veg and Non Veg.
2. Only pure Veg restaurants available?
3. The vegetable markets and fish meat market are altogether or different and separated there?

1) There are many veggies in Mauritius, even though it is a tiny portion of the population. And I'm sure most people know the difference b/w veg and not-veg fairly well.

2) There are veg restaurants in many locations. There are also food outlets run by many Hindu organisations like ISKCON where you can get pure veg food.

3) Meat/fish and vegetables sections are segregated, of course.

Thank you olga and kaviraj.

@ OLGA, ref point 3.
In super markets veg and non veg department is generally separate however I am asking about the normal market on road side the general market not the super market.

Thank you once again !

pleaee check zomatoo.com

Hi

I am following a vegan diet and sometimes raw.
I think if you go in restaurants offering an indian cusine you will be finding quite some nice choices. Indian Summer is a nice restaurant in a side road of Rose Hill. Chinese cuisine gives also some nice choices but make sure to have no Ajinomoto (msg) in the food, if you have problems with this.
I've recently been in the Spice Garden in Curepipe and the food was good.
If you are looking for a place selling local organically grown vegetables (without any use of pesticides) you might want to check Quartier Gourmet in Sodnac Quatre Bornes. I think when you look in Google Maps for this place it will give you it's place mark. They also deliver.
In pizza my favorite is Stenios in Albion and his Giardino ordered specifically without cheese.

I am also glad to hear if you find something else or new worth to be checked out or supported.

Beside this I try to do a lot myself or find stuff to do in the internet. There are vast information given about anything concerning this...and I love my homemade almond butter and almond milk :)

It seams as I am the only one who lives at the East Coast (Trou d'Eau Douce).
My favorite restaurant is the "Green Island Beach Restaurant" in TdD. It is well known by Tourists who live in the hotels around. I cannot say that the cuisine is special in any kind. You can get Mauritian, Italien, Chinese food, seafood etc.

agreed
saffron grill has an authentic indian taste.....
any other indian food restaurants... u may kindly post
thank you
suresh

Being chefs ourselves we usually don't eat in restaurants since we're hard critics. But we can definitely recommend these 2:

Tamarin - La Casa Pizza. One of the best pizzas you will find in Mauritius
Grand Baie - La Botteghita Cafe. Aythetic Italian cuisine with only the best ingredients. My favorite restaurant so far.

I can try the grand bay pizza cafe you suggested.
Thank you
s

even Indian Taste near SBI triolet has great food made to order.
minimum spices and authentic taste
regards
suresh

Zorba's Greek Restaurant Grand Bay(Near to police station) :)

Hi everyone :cheers:

I'll like to add Tino Restaurant @Belle-Mare

julie1515 :)

Quartier Gourmet Restaurant in Sodnac, QB