Hello from Atlanta, Ga. USA

We've pretty much decided on finishing out the "Golden Years" in beautiful Belize...more particularly the Hopkins area. I'm coming down the end of Nov. 2012 for a month just to get a feel for the place. Not much interested in the "Tourist Traffic Areas" as I'm 5th generation Florida native so I've seen my fair share of tourism..nothing against it mind you...would just rather be more of a recluse these days.
Don't think we'll opt for the retirement program either, though I'm sure it may have it's advantages..think I'll just wing it.
Not sure if this is the right forum for this question or not, but does anyone know of smaller out of the way short term rentals? Don't need the frills of color TV & A/C..just someplace to hang my hat come sundown.
I've read a few of the blogs posted here and must say.."What a great group of folks.." can't wait to get there to meet some of you in person.

Thanks for doing such a great job making everyone feel so welcome.

Donnie

Welcome to Expat.com Donnie!;)

Wish you Good Luck in your research,
Harmonie.

We'll be in Hopkins Mar-June 2013, found a place to rent for that time period. Please check your inbox-I sent you a PM with more info.
Have a great trip! Hope it's all you thought it would be!

Donnie, Hopkins is one of my favorite places in Belize - I'm sure you'll love it. But keep in mind, with all the big resorts, there are quite a number of tourists around(we were just there last week and our hotel was fully booked, and this is slow season).

Word of mouth is generally how you'll find a long-term rental in Hopkins, or there's one or two realtors who may be able to help you. A month stay is generally considered "short-term" and you'll pay a higher rate than say 6 months or longer.  If you seriously don't need anything fancy while you're there, check out this place:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review … Creek.html

Or this place is right on the ocean, really nice people - great value:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review … Creek.html

Good luck! Sharon Hiebing

Hey Sharon,

Thanks so very nuch for the info that you sent to me..greatly appreciated.
I may just give you a shout when I get to Belize. I've read some of your posts and want to say that you do a great job answering questions for us."Newbbies"...

Thanks again,
Donnie

You're welcome, Donnie!