Concerning Creole

Hello guys!  I'm new to the forum so nice to meet you all :D

I was wondering for any long term expats, if anyone had found an effective way of learning creole (short of learning once in the country)? 
  My dad is Mauritian but I grew up in England with an English mum and I never got a chance to pick up the language.  I find I can understand a good deal of conversations but I don't think I could even string together a basic sentence speaking wise >_<
  But yeah, I guess my question is if there are any decent learning tools out there for learning mauritian creole?  A google search brought up suprisingly little..

I do volunteer work and the staff are creole speaking and each week they teach me a new word :)

My best one is (spelt as it sounds)
Keymanyeh

Meaning how are you, you OK

Its the only one I actually remember but a good one :)

Hello, am mauritian and i would be very happy to teach you creole.
Just drop me a mail at [email protected]

Its very easy and funny also.

Cheers,

Kushal

hi check out this group facebook.com/groups/34759464540

There is now a dictionary available here: Creole/English. If you find one, this can help you for sure! It exists since Creole is an official language.

Rosiewestie wrote:

My best one is (spelt as it sounds)
Keymanyeh

Meaning how are you, you OK

hehe approximatively the same but its written " ki manier" :P .

and at the end of the word there must be like the sound "air" and not "eh"

orally, it sounds just like " key manyair"...manyair being just a two syllable word "man" and "yair"

:)

Ledikasyon pu Travayer run a Kreol course for english speakers. I've just completed the course (10 x 2hour sessions). I'd tried to teach myself before and never got too far but this course has really got me off the ground - well recommended. They can be contacted at [email protected].

hemsat wrote:

Hello guys!  I'm new to the forum so nice to meet you all :D

I was wondering for any long term expats, if anyone had found an effective way of learning creole (short of learning once in the country)? 
  My dad is Mauritian but I grew up in England with an English mum and I never got a chance to pick up the language.  I find I can understand a good deal of conversations but I don't think I could even string together a basic sentence speaking wise >_<
  But yeah, I guess my question is if there are any decent learning tools out there for learning mauritian creole?  A google search brought up suprisingly little..

Why do you need to learn it? I am a British Mauritian living in Mauritius and no-one speaks creole here anymore, just Fench.

peaches786 wrote:

Why do you need to learn it? I am a British Mauritian living in Mauritius and no-one speaks creole here anymore, just Fench.

And yet you are the SAME poster who said this in this thread:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 860#696331

Wonder which is which  :blink:

peaches786 wrote:

No-one? So you believe that not one individual on the island speaks creole?  I agree it's not necessary to learn, but everyone knows that if you know it, you don't have to pay "prix tourist".  Can't think of better incentive than that.

stephenn wrote:
peaches786 wrote:

No-one? So you believe that not one individual on the island speaks creole?  I agree it's not necessary to learn, but everyone knows that if you know it, you don't have to pay "prix tourist".  Can't think of better incentive than that.

Plus the NEED  to have a maid whilst in Mauritius may  require that you speak Kréol to ensure that everyone is on the same wavelength.

External wrote:
peaches786 wrote:

And yet you are the SAME poster who said this in this thread:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 860#696331

Wonder which is which  :blink:

Yeah true but these are school kids not yet into secondary education, I stick by what I say, creole is not really spoken that much is what I probably should have said then, people prefer french nowadays

stephenn wrote:
peaches786 wrote:

You are taking what I said too harsh, as for prix tourist it exists for residents too we get overcharged, its who you know unfortunately. I've lived here long enough to know that people here don't care if you are Mauritian or not they will still try to overcharge you.

External wrote:
stephenn wrote:
peaches786 wrote:

Plus the NEED  to have a maid whilst in Mauritius may  require that you speak Kréol to ensure that everyone is on the same wavelength.

lol a maid, wouldn't trust them, have you ever had one? If you did you would know what I'm saying

peaches786...if there is a rotten tomato in a bag, that doesn't mean every tomato is rotten.

my aunt has been working as a maid for 3 families since she was 16...and now she's 40 or so. Now if you had bad experience with some maids in the past doesn't mean everyone in this profession is not trustworthy

if you had untrustworthy maids before, plz curse yourself first, because its you who made the bad choice.

peaches786 wrote:
External wrote:
stephenn wrote:

lol a maid, wouldn't trust them, have you ever had one? If you did you would know what I'm saying

Sorry to say this but , perusing all you posts , you seem to be one of those "diaspora Mauritians" or their "progeniture " who are biased against the country of their parents.
My mother and my grand-mother trusted their maids more than their relatives - it is how you treat them, not by how much you believe that you can "buy" them.

Yes the island has its  disadvantages ( some bad some worse than others) as well as good advantages . It is the same all over the world.  There will always be a divide between developed, developing and under-developed countries.

Some of those expatriates who are willing to learn Kréol have their own reasons and that's why they travel the world - not only for work or  economic reasons  but to appreciate the culture and languages of other people on this planet.

Creole is important. The government has put so much emphasis on it that it is being learnt at several schools now. There is even creole dictionary now. Like all other languages Hindi, marathi, thai,taiwanese,etc, it would be really good if foreigners can learn them while in a country.

My experience:

I lived in Thailand for 4 years. 2 years by without learning thai and the remaining 2 years went by with a knowledge of thai. The amount of money i saved by learning thai was incredible. Things I used to be charged 5000  bht without thai was then costing 750 bht!!! I guess this is the case for foreigners in Mauritius too!

I would like to say to go ahead and learn creole. There is somebody I know who teaches creole very well. PM me if interested

Good luck

Hi Disha!

Was it easy to learn Thai? How about writing?

DISHA wrote:

Creole is important. The government has put so much emphasis on it that it is being learnt at several schools now. There is even creole dictionary now. Like all other languages Hindi, marathi, thai,taiwanese,etc, it would be really good if foreigners can learn them while in a country.

My experience:

I lived in Thailand for 4 years. 2 years by without learning thai and the remaining 2 years went by with a knowledge of thai. The amount of money i saved by learning thai was incredible. Things I used to be charged 5000  bht without thai was then costing 750 bht!!! I guess this is the case for foreigners in Mauritius too!

I would like to say to go ahead and learn creole. There is somebody I know who teaches creole very well. PM me if interested

Good luck

DISHA wrote:

My experience:

Good luck

You obviously don't know the real reason creole is being used in schools, did you watch the news? Creole is only really beneficial for people who are Mauritian because if you look foreign you will always pay more than residents, fact.

ooopsi....sorry for the post!! It must have hurt you for yo have replied so rudely! Anyways wish i could wish u luck in your war..:)

To Christel:
Yes it was easy. My Thai teacher was a very nice lady  and had 30 yrs of experience.

Also I was at Webster University where mostly Americans go for a semester or two. So she had a lot of experience in teaching Speakers of non thais.

So, yes it was easy to learn with different colors that she was using for the tones and she would also sing songs for us so we get to know the tones. Amazing experience!!Writing too was made easy though they were hard. She simplified everything and she taught Thai in English which was an advantage.

Rgds. Disha

Well I have just got to say this:

We have only been here one year and lived in 2 houses - both my maids were lovely, hardworking and trustworthy and I think you will find as all over the world there is always one bad apple in the barrel. So don't assume all maids are the same.

Regrading Creole - It is spoken widely by local people as is French and English - go ahead and learn Creole - I have learnt a few words of welcome etc and when I say them to local Creole speaking people, I always get a big smile - it shows I am making an effort.

I have not yet met one unfriendly local Mauritian - This is their Country and I am a guest here - treat them with respect, be friendly and smile :)

You can find books on how to speak creole at the Caudan Bookstore, at Port Louis Waterfront.
caudan.com/en/Stationerybooks_Bookcourt_54_details.aspx
Look for this book:
MAURITIUS: Its Creole Language
radiomoris.com/forum/english/5066-learning-creole.html

Hi Is anyone willing to teach me mauritus creole online :D It would be great! THANKS

Well, I have bought a French->Creole booklet in a supermarket, and I am learning it,  not to save money or to talk to my cleaner and gardener, who can speak good English and French but... because I love it!

Creole is the perfect revenge that the African slaves took towards the French: destroy their grammar!  After living 35 years in France, and having put up with their "sobjonctif plusqueparfait"  (Auriez-vous voulu que j'husse servi le thé aujourd'hui, Madame?), well after all that, I can finally say "mo pe servi dité zordi madam?"

Can you see how much shorter, neater and effective is that? and how reduntant is all that French grammar? Creole is the French of the future, and you can see that when you look at the SMS French that the new generation are bringing into the spoken language. Yes, that's it, Creole is SMS French of the 18th century, and I love it!

But there's another reason why I am learning Creole, and that's... because I live here now. I was invited by a Hindu family for Diwali, and the fact that I could tell them how much I liked their Bryani in Creole made them really happy. They saw me under a different angle. Not the expat who comes here just to enjoy the weather and the beaches, but someone who has chosen this place because he likes its people, and wishes to integrate and make contact at a deeper cultural level.

Silvano

Silvano,

Thank you for your sensible post ! I have ben following the thread and being Mauritian, I can only frown when someone says "no-one speaks creole anymore" - particularly someone claiming to be "British Mauritian living in Mauritius". I

It only shows that he must be completely disconnected with reality.

At least Silvano, you have shown that learning creole has nothing (well a bit, but...) to do with not being charged overprice by locals but about trying to learn about a culture and getting closer to locals. Then maybe when the locals start considering you their own by appreciating your efforts, you will start saving! ;-)

Moi mo Morisien, mo coz creole tou les zour. Dans travail aussi. Mo aussi coz Anglais ek Français mais mo langue naturel cé creole.

Si mo pa ti coz Morisien, mo pa ti pou capav appele momem ene Morien.

Translated: "I'm Mauritian. I speak creole everyday, even at work. I also speak English and French but my mother tongue is creole. If I did not speak Creole, I would not call myself a Mauritian"

Rosiewestie wrote:

- go ahead and learn Creole - I have learnt a few words of welcome etc and when I say them to local Creole speaking people, I always get a big smile - it shows I am making an effort.

I have not yet met one unfriendly local Mauritian - This is their Country and I am a guest here - treat them with respect, be friendly and smile :)

... hoo, ya damn right!

Two thumbs up! :top:

I've had trouble getting in touch with Ledikasyon pu Travayer. Does anyone know if they will have any courses in May, June or July this year? I emailed but I have not gotten any responses from them.

Thanks!

They are very slow at responding to email.

You can call Alain Ah-vee on 208 2132 or 208 5551.

Since I enquired, the courses have been in Black River and Grand Bay. Not all are designed for english speakers though, some are for those conversant in french.

Peaches, I have to agree with you on that one. My parents are Mauritian, but I was born and raised overseas, so can't speak Creole. The cheating Mauritians (fortunately they are not in the majority) can see me coming a mile off. Even if I were to learn Creole, they can tell I'm not a local and up the price. Having said that, my husband has picked up a little Creole over the years and has great fun using it to bargain when shopping.

gees lots of acid on this thread.

Hey Disha, Greetings. 'have recently come to Mauritius for  client work and 'am thrilled to bits by the beauty of the  place and its people. if you are still in MUR, would love to connect up as I'm in Flic-En-Flac as well.

thanks much
cheers
Guru

Hi Mate

I am now in Mts after 24yrs in UK, would be happy to help you, let me know when you coming and which area you will be.

Cheers
rajiv

Hi

Im not sure if your aware but there is a Mauritian Creole dictionary and phrase book by Jaques Lee.  However, Flic en flac beach is the place to learn from the locals.

However, not sure if your fluent by now....lol but all Mauritians speak French so google that instead maybe.

Good Luck!

Natasha

How can I greet my co-worker "Happy New Year" in mauritian creole?
Thank you for your help.

Banané

(thankyou Google)

If you are serious about learning creole, consider buying this one:
French: http://uomnews.wordpress.com/2011/10/05 … -morisien/
English translation: https://translate.google.com/translate? … edit-text=
Dr A. Carpooran is the one expert in mauritian creole in Mauritius.

Banane 2015 to everyone !

Mo  kontan twa  :P

Thank you for your understanding of the culture, for being open and showing tolerance. Creole is a systemtic language that is easy to learn once you are immersed in the culture. I have been abroad for quite a while now and didn't know that Creole is being taught in schools. This is positive and enriching.

As expat, learning Creole will only be beneficial, especially in understanding the extensive Mauritian himour.

Ooops! I actually meant humour!