Should I buy a laptop in the US before I get to China?

Keep hearing mixed advice on whether or not I ought to buy a laptop in the US or just wait until I get to China - warranty, windows language, keyboard, limited internet access, etc.  Anyone thoughts?

It depends.

Prices here tend to be not that much cheaper, if at all, than outside China.   (Hardware is pretty much the same all over).

However, if you're familiar with China, and are comfortable buying here, then it may be worth getting one in China.

It also depends how long you are going to stay.

Basically:

If you have never been to China before, or are only planning a short trip (or both), then get one there.

If you're familiar with China, can maybe speak Chinese well or have a Chinese friend who can help you buy one, and/or are going to stay a decent length of time then buy it here.

Buy in US and get all the software needed loaded.  If you are travelling to places other than major cities you may not be able to get help.

If you notebook work for 1 month in US then should not have major issues for another year.

Most software sold in China are Chinese version.

XO wrote:

Most software sold in China are Chinese version.

Yes, but it's easy enough to get them to load the English version on it.

Also you must remember the power adaptor is different for the US. 

Like I said, it depends on how long you're going to stay in China, amongst other things.

Buy in US is better .

Agree that you should buy in US. Also, even though the mandatory monitoring software that will be in all Chinese bought computers has been delayed for a little while, soon all computers sold in China will have this monitoring software and theres no way around it.
Electronics aren't that cheap in China and as was mentioned, for warranty, software, other stuff its better to buy in US.
Internet isn't a problem. Just bought a new Mac over the summer in US and its been great. As far as power adapters go- get a good travel one and carry it with you. This is what many do when they go to Starbucks or other places to use wi-fi. At home we use an adapter power strip for all our US electronics.