Communications resources

Grettings and hello I'm a member of the US Army and I'm deploying to Kuwait I won't know where I'm going until I get there but I've searched all over the Internet attempting to find affordable service providers so that I can stay in touch with my family back home I've only found 3 service providers in Kuwait which I have yet to hear a response back from those companies. So I found this site and now I'm asking you for help I know my cell phone is compatible in Kuwait and I'm bringing along my laptop and apple iPad what are my options seriously I've found an international cell phone provider that will allow me to have a USA number as well as a international number if my wife calls my USA number it will cost me 34 cents a min if she calls the international number 14 cents a min but she would have to purchase an international plan so for her it would be better to call the US number what's the honest best route for wireless Internet and voice and texting internationally from Kuwait to the US please please help

welcome to Expat.com brandon, i went cross eyed trying to read all that :S

i think u will find that the best option for roaming is to find an affordable ISP (id go with Zain if i were u, ditch ur US number upon arriving in Kuwait so as to spare urself a few extra dollars), and then use VoIP services such as Viber, Skype etc. for messaging, Viber also works, altho u could go for whatsapp.

we live in the digital age now mon ami, relying on telecom companies for international calls will set ur savings back quite a bit.

skype can be used to make phone calls to normal landlines even if they are not connected.

so yes, go with a good data package. hit up zain.com for more info, i think their cheapest package is 7.5Kd a month, which is roughly $21 give or take.

There was an article in today's Kuwait Times that MOC is going to require ISP's to start blocking VOIP, including Skype, so I'd check on that before deciding anything.  Heavy fines if they don't comply.

What?? No Skype?? That was how I planned to keep in touch with friends and family here in the States!

heavy fines on ISPs, and theres still a myriad of ways to bypass the block, also with Skype, Nymgo, Viber etc. ur not really paying anything, so theres no monetary loss.

get the mrs to start getting comfortable using viber, if she has 3G , it'll be much easier for u. even if she doesnt have 3G back home, u can call her normally and pay cheap rates.

check
www.skype.comwww.nymgo.com

This is my issue when I get to Kuwait I will not be allowed to leave the military base I've been on the VIVA site and there rates seem fair enough for me but I can't find away to purchase any products online everything that I find or read says go to there stores or distributors I can't find a way to buy anything online in Kuwait I Need a wireless router and a simcard for my phone. I think I want VIVA for phone communications back home and possibly there router to connect my laptop and iPad to so that I can have Internet access the military offers video conferencing as long as you and a good reliable internet connection and Wataniya offers unlimited international texting for just a little over $40 US dollars so I know I would have to switch out sim cards depending on if I was wanting to text or call I just need to seriously figure out how I can get them prior to going into Kuwait I've already unlocked my phone I just need to figure this out please someone help me

I don't think you can download Skype from Kuwait but just do it before coming here, that's what i did and it works fine.

you can always ask a friend to pick up a viva line for u. dont worry.