Second cars

Hi everyone,

I will be coming over to Riyadh from London in August and have started looking to buy a second hand car. I am mostly checking on riyadh.dubizzle.com. Is there any other website or car dealers that I can check online?  I will be needing a car enough for 2 adults and 2 children aged 11 and 8.

Thanks eveyone!

Check this,

expatriates.com/classifieds/saudi/vehicles/

I understand you will need an Iqama before you can own a car. You may be better off hiring one until you get your Iqama, unless you have one already.

Thank you guys.  Would I be able to hire a car and drive with my UK licence?

You should be OK but just to be on the safe side get yourself an IDP International Driving Permit from the AA or RAC whilst you are in the UK.

My advice on second hand cars is: dont buy it untill you drive it. trust me, im in that line of business.

Salman

Hi There

There are loads of cars show rooms in Riyadh both new and second hand
However u will not be able to do anything until you have all yiour residence sorted --only other option is to rent

trevor

i personelly would not buy if you really have to.
Becayse if the job goes pear shaped yiu than have a vehicle that u have to get rid of and if its on a loan you have to clear all your debts before you will get a cancelled visa.
Same applies to rent of property, phone bills, electric etc

If you are 100% of the position then maybe its ok to go ahead, but if you are not that sure --then be careful

Regardds

Trev

thank you all for your informative comments. It is much appreciated.

Hi Trevor,
If I don't buy how would I be able to go from A - Z? taxis? My contract is for 2 years and I have 2 children (11 & 8). What do you suggest? any reputable second hand car dealer you would recommend? or shall I just buy from private ads online?

go to toyota authorized used cars center as they have variety of guaranteed vehicles at reasonable offers..

Dear Sir

Firstly does your employer provide transport?
If not how are u getting to work?
Taxi,s are available but if No 1 does not apply then you need to look for a driver for your family.
Alternatively if u r on a compaund and it is a western type with families then possibly they have transport for children to school and shopping etc .

All the main dealers have a second hand selection --but I bring you back to my earlier point regarding what to do with car if u leave before planeed.

Hire is also available -but is possibly an expensive option.

However make sure u have your UK international driving license --available from Post Office in UK.

Regards

Trevor

Thank you guys.
Yes, I will be living in Al Hamra compound. I have been told there will be transport for shopping etc. I will also be provided transport to work. What second hand car would you recommend?

Once again an almost impossible  question to answer.

What is your budget, what do you want to do with it etc etc

if you are looking for a 4 x 4 then there is a wide choice from Kia/ Hyundai/ Mazda/ Honda etc ec right up to Lincoln Escalade / Range Rover etc

For a good general run around you could do no worse that a Hyundai Sonata, Toyota Corrola, Camry etc.
There is a massive choice , but as previously mentioned none will be available to buy until you have Iqama, bank account etc.

Regards

Trevor

One of my friends needs a 2nd hand car and he tells me horrible stories everyday. Meters tampered to show lower mileage, hugely repaired cars post-accidents, insppropriate rates demands. Liars, cheaters all around.

I visited Abdul Latif Jameel (Toyota dealer) used cars centers with my friend. Same situtation there as well. You must be an expert to judge if the car is accident-ed or no. And by the way, the too are big time RIP-OFFs.

If you are really seriously interested in buying a 2nd hand card, ask for a computer check ASAP. Don't listen to the seller. You have to get it done at YOUR trusted place. Preferably one technician there must be friends to seek his expert advice.

IMHO, go for centers like HyperStar or Bayan. They sell comparatively better stuff, guarenteed.

P.S. I didn't want to scare you. Just warning you of the current market situation.

Thank you Trevor and TheLegendleads.
I take your advice on board. It looks like it will be a difficult thing to do! how about Chevrolet Trailblazer,Lumina, Camry, Previa, Chrysler Voyager anyone you would recommend?

I would not worry about a car until you arrive here.

Just hire a car for the first few weeks or use taxi service.

It will take a couple of weeks at minimum to adjust to the hectic traffic here (believe me its not like UK!!!)

There are plenty of vehicle dealers here, so take your time to look at cars when you come over.

As petrol is cheap and traffic is hectic you will most probably go for a 4x4.

Good Luck with the move.

(you are aware that until 20th August it will be Ramadan, and then there will be Eid Holidays (3 days min) There will not be many expats around and compound and infact Riyadh city will be quiet).

Thank you SaudiUK, but I still would like your advice on the choices of cars I have given you.  Which one do you recommend?

I would go with a Chevrolet Trailblazer, 1 - 5 years old. You should be able to get a good deal on one of those. Go for low mileage if possible as the locals here drive their cars pretty hard. A bit of size is recommendable and a bit of power too in order to merge into lanes safely, and you don't have to worry about gas prices.

I found my car on abisayara.com where you can also find quite a few second hand dealerships with prices and pictures. There are other sites too but they mostly have private ads, not dealer ads.

In the second hand market you can also get your car computer tested before you buy it. I don't know the current price for that but probably SAR 400 - 500. Money well spent, at any rate.

Cheers,
Andy

HUMBLEMAN wrote:

Thank you Trevor and TheLegendleads.
I take your advice on board. It looks like it will be a difficult thing to do! how about Chevrolet Trailblazer,Lumina, Camry, Previa, Chrysler Voyager anyone you would recommend?

Salman Omrani wrote:

My advice on second hand cars is: dont buy it untill you drive it. trust me, im in that line of business.

Salman

Yes i agre, buyin a second hand car is not a option worth exploring here considering the type of driving done here..

On rent you can get mitsubishi lancer 2012 model for arround 2200 a month.

@trevorcox: great advise, thank you.  I am thinking exactly that when I will be there in December (2023).

@Salman Omrani: Salaam, Inshallah I will be in Riyadh from 02 December.  I am thinking of hiring a car.  Any please or weblink that you can recommend please?

BR,

Masud

Does anyone support bringing my own car from the UK?