Coming to Rio

Hello all,

i need a little advice, i have been offered a job in Rio, we will be coming in july to visit for out final descision. Package is great, but dosent include Housing or schooling, i have 3 kids and am a little worried about level of school and its fees, type of housing as we are used to good level of accomodation, safety for the children, and overall cost of living.

any advice would be really appreciated

Sam

Hello Sam and welcome to Expat.com!

Hope that other members will share their experience with you soon.;)

Harmonie.

Hello Sam,

Please read both my postings at the top of the first forum page; "A Gringo's Survival Guide for Brazil" and "The High Cost of Living in SP - how to economize". These will give you almost all of the information you will need. While the latter was written with São Paulo in mind it really applies to any large city here in Brazil.

As far as salary packages go you should be looking at a base salary of no less than $4,000 USD or R$8.000 BRL per month in order to be at par with most entry level positions. This should also include private medical/dental/prescription drug coverage on top of the salary.

To find out about schooling issues you should do a web search for Private Schools in Rio de Janeiro (Escolas particulares em Rio de Janeiro) or International Schools in Rio de Janeiro (Escolas Internaçionais em Rio de Janeiro). This should give you a list of various websites for different schools. (Presuming you are passable in reading and understanding Portuguese)... I would recommend that if possible you find out what neighborhood you will be living in and then you can refine your search for schools that are nearer to your home.

Good luck and welcome to Brazil.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog.

Thanks William, Appreciate the info. I did some research on international schools in Rio i.e. Britsh/American School, and found the fees to be extreme (35-40,000 us$) would thier be english international schools that are a lot less? as kids dont have any knowledge of portuguese. I dont know what area we will be living but will get a better idea once i arrive next month for a visit.