Move to seoul with a child

hi,

i want to move to Seoul S. Korea with my daughter, and i was told that i need her dad whom im divorced from to sign a form that he is ok with her moving. i have full custody but was told that he still has to sign. is that true? and if so where can i get that form? i already emailed the consulate but never got a reply. any help would be appreciated.

Hello justmyself80.

Welcome to Expat.com!

Hope other members will be able to solve your problem.

Thank you,
Aurélie

thank you for the welcome and i do hope as well that someone is able to answer my question.

Hi!
I'm doing the same thing with my daughter!  Her dad and I were never married, but it doesn't make a difference.  I was told when I applied for her passport that we both needed to sign a form and have it notarized.  I have not heard of having to have something in writing that he agrees to the move.  When he signed for the passport, he is allowing her to travel out of country.  I'm curious as to where or who told you that you needed his permission.  I guess you could just draw up a paper and you could both sign in front of a notary?  Hmmm...now you have me wondering!:)

hi,

a friend of mine that is getting stationed there with the military told me that since she has a daughter from a previous relationship the father has to sign a paper that is requested by Korea, in which he agrees for he child to move to Korea. that is why i am asking. I have asked others and was told yes it indeed is true, but they were unable to tell me which paperwork that would be. and with the passport, there is no way around the other parent having to sing it?

I did not know that Korea makes such a request. Hmmm...
I do know that the non-costodial parent has to sign a form for the passport.  There is another form to fill out if you can't find the other parent, or if they are deceased.  I'm going to assume that you do not communicate with your ex.  There is a a website for apply for your pasport and it gives out in detail how to complete for a child.  Sounds like you and I are in the same boat!  You could send a message to my inbox if you'd like to chat further!  In the meantime, I'm going to look into this a little further.  We won't be able to leave until next year, but having this part completed will make it that much easier! :)

Hi,

I just came across your question. I would recommend that you get your ex-husband to give you permission in writing. Like you, I wanted to bring my sons to Korea 7 years ago from Toronto, Canada. And I thought I didn't need my ex-husband's written permission since I had full custody.
Despite that being the case, he initially went to court and got an order to prevent me from taking them out of the country. It took three months before the court gave me permission to take them.   
I trust this helps. Good luck with bringing your son to Korea!