Can I find a job from abroad

Hi guys, just registered here as I'm looking for info on the job market in Malta. My husband and I work in the finance and project management areas and would like to relocate to malta from Ireland. As both of us are currently working, we'd like to first find (at least) one job from here before relocating. From the posts I"m reading, I see that the majority of people relocate first and then look for jobs from there. Do you know if it's realistic to find jobs if you're not there?
Any advice on recruitment agencies or tips on how to find a job from abroad would be much appreciated.
BTW we're Italian and speak English and Spanish.

Thanks!

Nothing is impossible and with your work areas / experiences levels and languages it should nt be too difficult...but it normally is very very difficult to find good well paid jobs here...unless your on the finance and IT areas or have the language skills.

But most employers like to see people thats for sure. Using a recruitment agency is a good idea.

Dont expect mega high salaries as that is unlikely....certainly dont expect the salaries you currently earn in your home country.

I often see finance and accounts posts advertised in the times of malta local paper .. try looking at them online too www.timeofmalta.com.mt . this wil give you an idea.

Hi melindalinda,

welcome to the forum.

I totally agree with toon. The reason why most come first and then look for work is because it does not work the other way around although it would be a lot better .

With your qualifications and areas you should go through agencies and look through the Times job offers. But don't expect too much!

Cheers
Ricky

Hi!
my question is mainly to those who has already found a job in Malta:
how long does it takes to be hired there?
do local employers consider applications from foreign candidates who is going to relocate or simply ignore it? :unsure

Hi cotton2,

welcome to the forum.

They won't ignore you but to get a job you will have to invest the time and the money to come to Malta for a job interview. But you will probably not get the job unless you are highly qualified.

The time it takes to find a job depends on your qualifications and can be from a few weeks to never.

What kind of work will you be applying for?

Cheers
Ricky

Hi Ricky!

i am looking for positions related to translation (European languages, not exotic ;) ) and administrating (or any clerk job).

Hi cotton2,

it will probably be difficult if you cannot translate from Maltese into one or more of the European languages.

The same goes for administration jobs.

The job market in Malta is much worse than in most European countries so don't expect too much , especially salary wise. Pay might be only around 600-800 €/month if you find a job.

Cheers
Ricky

600-800 euros - before or after all taxes?
I heard that the income tax is 13% (but i know nothing about rates for national insurance contributions).

tax is on three levels 15% 25% 35%

the first 8500 normally tax free
the next 6000 taxed at 15%
the next 5000 taxed at 25%
and everything after that is taxed at 35 %

NI varies according to salary - but on average you culd expect to pay about 25-35 euros per week.

Melindalinda i am not sure what language you speak but if you are ok to work for one of the many betting companies in Malta as a customer care agents the salaries are around 1600 EUR gross a month.