Residence Permit

Hello,

I am intending to start a trading company in a couple of months in Guatemala.  I will be going on a tourist visa.  I need to be there to start and build the business and ensure that it is functioning smoothly and doing well, only then can I keep somebody to manage it while I head to other pastures.

So, can I easily get a temporary residence permit say for a year or two? I have not clue at all.

Appreciate all info.

Thanks a lot.

VK

Hello Powerlord.

Welcome to Expat.com!

Hope you will soon be advised :)

Aurélie

You don't need residency to open a business. If you get a normal "patente de comerico" you will only need a Guatemala name on the business license this is the person who will be legally responsible. I've done this a half a dozen times already no problem.

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response.  I do understand that a residence visa is not required to setup a company. I will be on a tourist visa, but once I have setup the company, I need to reside there to start the business and promote it, for which a tourist visa is inadequate, so I need to stay there for a longer time.  Need to get a renewable visa for at least a year or perhaps a temporary residence for a year or two.

Thanks.

VK

You will need to renew your tourist visa every 90 days, I go to Tapachula, Mexico then come back...been doing this for years...no problem and legal.