Hello out there!

If the post office offers me early retirement in the next year im outta here with approx $2000 us a month to live on and some savings.Im single but have a gf in puerto plata but i dont know the best way to forward my mail from the states.ive been to dr many many times and my spanish is functional im 53 and i wanna take the money and run!

Hello Jaxterstone.

Welcome to Expat.com!

Can you be more explicit please?

Are you searching for a particular information on the Dominican Republic forum?

Thank you,
Aurélie

Most of us living here do not receive regular mail but rather do almost everything over the internet.  The dominican mail service is terrible on it's best days. Mail, IF it arrives can take months to get. I got my Xmas card from ReMax that was sent November 1 last year in late April.
For mail that you "have" to get or send we use mail forwarding services such as EPS which has an office in Sosua and Puerto Plata.

Bob K

Oh sorry Jaxterstone...Welcome to the forum

Bob K

Thanks for the mail info. I can tick that off my research list. I love the Sosua area and i did some apartment browsing back in Febuary. Im so bored here in the states i could scream!Not looking for a lot of action just a change.

Jaxterstone,

Congrats on your decision to retire. Dominican Retirement Permanent Residency requires for you to prove a pension of one thousand five hundred dollars (1500), so it might be an option for you to think about.
I do not like to say Dominican Public Mail Service is bad, "bad", could be anything, believe me, it's worse. I prefer to say it is non-existent.
The private mail couriers work perfectly though, and you have many to choose from. I use: Aeropaq, Mail Boxes, and Business Mail. Also, anything sent through Fedex, and UPS arrives safely and on time.

immigrationexpertsdr wrote:

Jaxterstone,

Congrats on your decision to retire. Dominican Retirement Permanent Residency requires for you to prove a pension of one thousand five hundred dollars (1500), so it might be an option for you to think about.
I do not like to say Dominican Public Mail Service is bad, "bad", could be anything, believe me, it's worse. I prefer to say it is non-existent.
The private mail couriers work perfectly though, and you have many to choose from. I use: Aeropaq, Mail Boxes, and Business Mail. Also, anything sent through Fedex, and UPS arrives safely and on time.

Can i begin the residency process stateside?

Yes you can. You have to be here once all the documents are together to apply and take your physical then again to pick up the cards when ready (you need have a photo taken when they issue the card).
Many of our clients start the process when they are here and then when they are ready on thier next trip down go and get the cards.
We always use a lawyer who is very reasonably priced, does and excellent job, and "holds" your had for the whole process

Bob K

Jaxterstone,

Definitely, you will have to come for at least two days for your Medical Clearance Exam, Fingerprints, ect... Then you can go back to the US or stay in DR awaiting for your Residency Card.
It is important to start gathering the following documents:
1. Birth Certificate
2. Certification of No Criminal Record (Local, Federal Certification takes forever)
3. Marriage Certificate if applies.
4. Pension Certification if you choose Retirement Permanent Residency.

All these documents need to have the Unites States Apostille Seal. Check out http://apostille.us/ for Apostille in your jurisdiction.