Life, cost of living, etc. in Riyadh Saudi Arabia

I have just received an offer to work for a bank in Saudi Arabia. But I am totally clueless as to the cost involve and on how expats usually live in Saudi Arabia. Hence, I am hesitating to accept the offer. In this regard, please indulge me and provide answers to my questions:

- How much is the usual rent for a bachelor's pad? I am offered a housing allowancew of 2,800 SAR per month. Is this sufficient to cover rent and utilities?

- Is it adviseable to buy/lease a car or just commute?

- I am given the option to bring my family along. How much is the usual tuition for a grade schooler in an international school?

- How are Saudi locals as work colleagues? Can we expect the same kind of professionalism existing in multinational companies?

- The work location is Riyadh. What are the most common restrictions on foreigners?

Thanks!

slaher wrote:

I have just received an offer to work for a bank in Saudi Arabia. But I am totally clueless as to the cost involve and on how expats usually live in Saudi Arabia. Hence, I am hesitating to accept the offer. In this regard, please indulge me and provide answers to my questions:

I think getting a well based bank job in Riyadh is an excellent opertunity. (new banks are a bit shakey though) but don't let me alarm you, all banks are doing great overall. but you have to ask your self whether you want this for yourself or not.

slaher wrote:

- How much is the usual rent for a bachelor's pad? I am offered a housing allowancew of 2,800 SAR per month. Is this sufficient to cover rent and utilities?

I think that can just about get you a good "studio" in an average compound, and that means it will get you an excellent housing out side a compound. I would say it very good for a bachelor.

slaher wrote:

- Is it adviseable to buy/lease a car or just commute?

you can easly buy a car via instalments or just rent one, but you need to get a saudi drivers license prior to that, but whether you need a car or not depends on how far you house will be from work, or if you like driving around the city in free time ;)
(don't forget the crazy traffic)

slaher wrote:

- I am given the option to bring my family along. How much is the usual tuition for a grade schooler in an international school?

7000 SAR to 25000+ SAR per year, it depends on the school.
(3.75 SAR = 1.00 U$D)

slaher wrote:

- How are Saudi locals as work colleagues? Can we expect the same kind of professionalism existing in multinational companies?

that my friend is a million dollar question, it depends on each company and profficiancy of their hiring methods.

slaher wrote:

- The work location is Riyadh. What are the most common restrictions on foreigners?

Don't approach women as casualy as one would do in a western country.
Don't drink alcohol.
Don't do Drugs. :lol: "I love saying that."
Don't take peoples  pictures without permission.

the rest will come along as you experience life here.

slaher wrote:

Thanks!

Walang anoman ;)

Hi,
I'll be moving to saudi to work for habib medical in january. i wanted to know some things. i have a list of expenses. this is a list of things/prices from the supermarket. I'd appreciate help from both men and women here. Where is teh best place for an expat to buy groceries at a good price? Where can i get a list of prayer schedules becasue i've heard things are done around those times in saudi?
how much is:- dove soap, any good bath soap like lux and palmolive, sanitary wear- both pads and tampons, skin lotion like vaseline or nivea,a good daily use shampoo and conditioner, tin foil, cling wrap, deodorant spray or roll on- like charlie red, white, fire and ice bla bla bla, oil of olay face cream,oil of olay serum,
Are there western unions in saudi arabia and what is the postal system like if you wanna send something to your home country and what's it like if you want to import stuff like buying things on amazon? do the authorities open parcels? do they allow delivery on time like is there dhl and courier companies in Saudi?
will i be allowed to bring my computer so i can connect to the internet?are there english newspapers ? what is the exchange rate between the saudi riyal and the u.s dollar
What is the cost of lettuce, frozen vegetables, a can of cola?
So many questions!!!!! Could somebody gimme a cost list of just everything as of october 2009!
help.
thanks!!

Lolz! Welcome tewrites to Sahara Arabia :P

please don't be offended, but you sound like your going to the most remote and outdated place in the world, but heres the good news, almost all of what you require or mentioned up there is available, (or all of it for that matter) as for the price, I guess its way cheaper than the states or Europian countries, and DHL and FEDEX are rarely tampered with, so your safe.

and yes you can bring your computer here, and if you want you can also buy a new one which just might be the lattest in the computer market ;) yes we are upto date :P

for detailed pricing, I hope others can cooperate cuz I don't do the shoping for vegies, my mom does :rolleyes:

Salman

Salman, you are too kind.
No offense taken. I just read over my post and i do sound kinda silly and bewildered and offensive. Sorry about that. The thing is when a WOMAN is thinking about moving to Saudi after hearing so many crazy things, she tends to sound weird like I did in my post!
You've been very helpful and i'm approaching this move with less apprehension.
Thanks again!

your very welcome, I'm sorry I was a wee bit sarcastic as well, but I hope in a good way ;)

wishing you a safe journey.

Salman

There are many supermarkets here in Riyadh, each offering different things (so hit them all if you can't find what you want at one).  I tend to buy the Arab brands, which are good and it's always an adventure because I buy one new thing per week and often don't even really know what I've bought till I get home :D:D  My favorite place is Danube at the Hyatt Mall--what an incredible selection for take-out and deli! There are something like 32 different types of fresh olives avail!

I'm from the US (New Jersey) and prices on American brands are no higher here than at home (but never on sale) and not everything is available.

Vegetables and fruits here are VERY cheap because, for an American, you divide the cost in half (cutting a kilo into, basically, a pound) and then divide THAT by 4 (since a riyal is .26) and then you have your price.  Only thing lacking here is romaine lettuce, one of my favorites.  However, there are all kinds of exotic fruits you'd never see in the USA and trying them is an adventure. 

The one thing I would recommend is that if you're female, you stock up on cosmetics because in my opinion they're expensive here.  Bring plenty of emery boards and your favorite nail polishes.  Don't worry about shampoos because all the major brands are here and reasonably priced.

Also, bring your computer essentials because if you have to buy them at Jarir, you'll be paying top dollar.  (I think in the US we're used to having great sale prices every week so we get 'spoiled').  I would strongly suggest you bring a reputable computer from home (I'd  bought a Dell laptop before leaving) and just get a universal plug adapter here (the laptop transformer handles both 110 and 220).

Anything you want to ask me privately, please feel free to write!

The cost of living in Saudi Arabia compared to the amount of money you can earn is extremely cheap in relation to almost every other nation in the world, in my view.