Healthcare in Papua New Guinea

Hi,

how does the healthcare system work in Papua New Guinea ? Is it efficient ?

What are the main differences between public and private sectors?

Is it recommended to purchase private health insurance in Papua New Guinea?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience !

Julien

The public health system is very very poor, rundown and in places virtually non existent. 

There are a few private clinics and a hospital in Moresby which are efficient but they are costly.
If travelling in PNG you need to have extensive travel / medical insurance cover which covers you for medical evacuation. 

Most expat companies have medical cover for their expat employers. 
For medical evacuations it it a short hop from Moresby to Cairns in Australia.

Hi,

In order to help expats and soon-to-be expats, we would like to invite you to share your experience on this topic, with updated info on the healthcare system.

Thank you in advance,

Julie
Expat.com Team

The health care system is extremely poor and the private health facilities are extremely expensive and run down.  A new primary health care facility has opened Aspen Medical at Harbour city which boasts an state of the art medical equipment and facilities.  Medical insurance is a must visitor, employee or otherwise

I had a bad experience in the hospital here in PNG. I felt I have been mistreated and harassed. I swore that I will never go back to any of the hospital here. Just imagine me already in the theatre room with anaesthesia and all only to find out that the doctor operating me is still doing his bank runs when I have a scheduled appointment of 9am. It was already 12pm then. The way he handled my case was very very bad and I even asked my local doctor in my home country if the procedure he did was correct only to find out that there are discrepancies.

And one more thing, my friend's father, he was diagnosed with TB and after a few weeks was diagnosed with Cancer in the lungs. When he was about to leave the country (he was already in the airport) the doctor went there and say he doesn't have TB nor cancer and can go back to work already. Imagine the stress and heartache he and his family had because of wrong diagnosis. So, to answer the question...Healthcare here sucks! Big time :)

facebook.com/2kmedicalcentre

Try to check this new medical centre.