Healthcare in Dominican Republic

if you have coverage from your country can that coverage be used there?  I have an Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield coverage thru my prior employer, specifically for abroad.  Will this cover me in dr?

Depends on the clinic/hospital.  Some will and some will charge your (sometimes an inflated fee for the gringo) and leave you to fight with your insurance company for reimbursement and some will work with your insurance.

Bob K

So that's how it works..  The Gringo fee, most interesting.  Thanks for the insight.

You are  welcome. The country is filled with Gringo fees.

Bob K

I can imagine lol.

I was there some time ago n it was funny how they charged my Irish (non spanish speaker) buddy 250 pesos 4 a bottle of water that me n my Puerto Rican friend paid 30 pesos for, at the same exact location the very next day!
(Oh we laughed about that one lol!  The Irish guy was PISSED tho..)

and hey a local policy can be had for  about US 34 a month these days.  Hardly worth your deductible or out of pocket if you are coming back and forth a lot.

That's really not bad.  Provided it covers all that you need, meaning you dont get to a facility and still have to pay this and that because the policy doesn't cover it.

It's an 80% Copay, 100%if you are in via emergency. Like all policies nothing covers absolutely everything.

that's still not too bad guess I'll look into tha tfor when the time comes

We have a local policy and it works very well, but only covers you here in the DR.  So we have an international policy as well.
I need surgery here and with the local insurance for the operation  and 4 days in the hospital my out of pocket expense was about $200 total with the local insurance.

Bob K

Wow, that sounds really low, for a co-pay for surgery plus a 4 day stay in a hospital. Comparing it to here in the states anyway. What comes to mind is this:

1st - Who determines that $200 price? like are the prices posted? So how do you know if you're getting  the "Gringo's" price versus the real one, we all know how people can be sometimes.

2nd -

When using insurance (local) prices are set. No haggling.  It is when you walk in with no insurance that things get interesting.

Bob k

Hi Planner and BOB K
I am 63 and my wife is 55, can we get health insurance for there in the DR

Yes up to age 65 when you apply

Bob K

Yes you can, likely you will both need quick visit for checkup with their doctor.

We did not need any kind of check up.  Pre existing conditions were not covered for the first 8 months or so.  If you are pregnant when you sign up that pregnancy is also not covered.

Bob K

At a certain age Bob checkups are required by almost all companies now.

Sorry meant to add, some preexisting conditions will never be covered!

Be careful if someone of a Hospital tells you everything is covered. Surger and staff fees are not fully covered by insurance.

Moreover, avoid CORAZONES UNIDOS: Hot water is closed after 15pm. There is not cleaning staff after 9 pm.

I vomited at 11pm, fortunately in the bathroom and not in the room, as no one cleaned that until 8am next day.

If it happens that I need a hospital again in Santo Domingo, I will post it here.

Yes you need to be careful at what medical facilities you end up in. Some are pretty good and many are unbelievable.

If you need a hospital in SD ask Planner for recommendations.

Bob K

Yes you need to always know in advance what is and is not covered.  And it depends if surgery was emergency or scheduled.

Anyone ever needs help or info please contact me here!!!!

One trick - on admittance many clinics and hospitals will claim there is NO semi private rooms, sorry only private......at additional cost! You think, oh that's not so bad......

Except - doctor fee goes up with a private room (????), food costs may go up, extra fees for anything they can think of May be added to that private room.  Be very careful of those extra fees!!!

It can get so bad I had a friend at a hospital who was charged because she asked for an extra pillow to sleep at night.

Bob K

A friend of mine told me that 350US$ per year should be a pretty good insurance in the North side?
No car insurance included.
Any contacts phone numbers? Puerto plata, Sousa, Cabarete.
Thank you!

A pretty good insurance is very vague. What are you looking for? Health insurance only? You want dental and prescription coverage?  Just you? Are you under 65?

Yes please let us know.  We do have a group health insurance plan here on the north coast that will run you about that.

Also welcome to the forum

Bob K

Thank you Bob K,
I will need to get some contact data, although it may be too early, I still have 1 to 3 years to land there.
Thx.
Florin

Best to wait until closer to the time, 2 or 3 years is still too far out.

Yes lots can change here in 2-3 years

Bob K

Hi everyone,

I will be visiting the DR in a couple weeks for some dental work, while there I plan to do some presentations for a company I represent from Italy that manufactures medical waste processing equipment.

Can someone give me a list of major private Hospitals in the country?

I will also be looking for a translator for a couple of weeks.

Andy

How much are you willing to pay? What part of the country?

Presently I plan to be based in Santa Domingo, but might change once I get a list of the major private hospitals.

Pay is negotiable and probably should be discussed in private.

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum and need help in sorting out some health insurance (amongst other things LOL).  I will be moving to the DR in the next few months and applying for residency.  After reading some of the posts in the forum, I'm still not sure where to start?  I'm from the UK by the way.  My personal web searches have returned no results.  Please help :((

First welcome to the forum.
Second do you have a specific question?
Three remember  you need to start the residency process in your home country

Bob K

Thanks Bob.  The process has already began in the UK and I am nearly complete in all my paper work here.  My specific question is relating to health insurance.  I need to secure some private health insurance for living in the DR as in the UK we don't need to have this.  I need some advice on which company will offer me this cover.  I am moving to the north coast and so far my search for private health care options has resulted in nothing.  I would be most grateful for some advice.

Are you looking for insurance that just covers  you in the DR or one that covers you internationally?

We have both and can give  you info if you want just let me know what you are wanting.

Bob K

There are  2 good companies and a bunch of others. ON the north coast there is a group via Universal. Bob can connect you with them.

Here on the south (but I offer country wide)  I work with Humano and offer two plans, both include dental and prescription coverage.  Costs 1,550 RD for one and 2,050 RD for the second.  Obviously the second is a superior product. 

Both of these plans and companies, cover only in country expenses,  If you want any other info then private message me or Bob.

Now there's a question Bob!  I'm not sure.  I think I will only need one for the DR just to ensure that if I have any health problems or accidents I can access health care without having to break the bank.  :sick:)

What would you advise?

So grateful for your help.

Thank you Planner!

The costs sound really reasonably :)  I will message you direct for more information.

Many thanks guy's for all your help!  :top:

If you do not plan on leaving the DR then the insurance here will cover anything you need. However it ONLY covers health care in the DR.  That is why we have two policies.  One for here and one for anywhere else in the world including the US.

The one in the DR costs us $3160RD ($70 US) a month.  It includes dental but not medication (this would be about $12 more a month). This is  a group policy here on the north coast with Universal insurance company

Our international policy is about $6000 US a year and covers EVERYTHING.  I had to use it in the US for a major bicycle accident.  My total costs came to about $120,000 US including post op care and physical therapy here in the DR.  My total out of pocket expense was the $500 deductible.

BObK

International coverage is expensive, wow.  Just be like me, don't leave.....LOL   :D