Healthcare in Jamaica

Hi,

how does the healthcare system work in Jamaica ? Is it efficient ?

What are the main differences between public and private sectors?

Is it recommended to purchase private health insurance in Jamaica?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience !

Julien

The quality of healthcare in Jamaica is generally good accross the board, and like most other countries we lack resources in public health.  Doctors and nurses are considered among the best in the region.

Private healthcare is costly but worth it when you consider the time spent waiting - and the crowd! - in a public facility. That is the main difference.

Most medium to large businesses have an employee healthcare package for which the cost is picked up by the company.  Employees contribute toward the cost of their dependents. There are national health plans that cater to the elderly and to persons with specific diseases (heart/blood pressure/diabetes/mental illness/asthma/etc).
Many schools have a student helath plan that is exceptionally cheap but that covers your kids for loss of limbs or abilities due to accident or illness.  Health cards are accepted in most places (not required in public facilities), and you are not required to select a provider based on the health card s/he will accept. If it is not accepterd you can claim back after paying up front.

I guess it is more costly to purchase individual plans, but if you can afford it and you have potential issues then insurance is good to have.  I haven't really heard the type of complaints in Jamaica that I hear in other countries, in terms of insurance unwilling to pay or companies unwilling to accept liability.

Thats a mouthful, hope it helps.

LisaHR

f you can afford it then get good health insurance from one of the large companies e.g. bupa or guardian. The private sector here is very good the public sector is free but overloaded and some of the hospital A&E's will make your eyebrows curl.However I had a very bad eye infection when I first arrived and my only port of call was the local A&E,a lengthy wait but the treatment was fine and my infections cleared up. If you are unlucky to be involved in an auto accident you will end up at a public hospital regardless. If you can't afford off shore health polices then the local Sagicor is the best best, they will pay 80% of treatment and it will cost you approx JA$10,000 per month.

Hi,

In order to help expats and soon-to-be expats, we would like to invite you to share your experience on this topic, with updated info on the healthcare system.

Thank you in advance,

Julie
Expat.com Team

Hi,
No problem can update if and when required.

John

Hello!  I have similar questions and would love if someone answered with current information (September 2020).  I am a retired diabetic senior and wondering about medical care costs/prescription costs in Jamaica.  Medical care is my main concern and would like to know as much as I can about this.  I read all of the comments on this thread and appreciate the tips like what companies offer private insurance, the general cost associated with this (and what you get for it), and in general, how it all works for expats with medical needs.  In closing, just a reminder that I am retired so there would be no work coverage available and I don't want to be waiting in long ques when I am sick.  Also, I read a comment in this thread that made mention of the ability to choose the health care provider (except in the cases of car accidents).  Can someone clarify for me if I understand correctly?  With public sector, do you have a choice?  With private sector, do you have a choice?  Thanks in advance for your help in learning more.

Did you ever get the information you were looking for on healthcare in Jamaica?