Healthcare in Czech Republic

Hi,

how does the healthcare system work in Czech Republic  ? Is it efficient ?

What are the main differences between public and private sectors?

Is it recommended to purchase private health insurance in Czech Republic ?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience !

Julien

It is exceptional--at least at Nemonice Na Homolce--the hospital with the Foreigners Section.  The building was originally for only high up Communist party members from all over the Soviet Block...only the best of everything.
Today, it is still as good as you can get.  Inexpensive even if you pay without insurance, astounding doctors...etc. I have had four major surgeries and joke that if I am living somewhere else and need something, it would be worth it to fly back.  (PS, I am an American and we still have the best equipment and great doctors...but you are asking about Europe/CZ).  I have lived in many, many places and CZ is still the place to be sick or have surgery!

Thanks for your contribution boldadventurer!;)

Harmonie.

Under Czech law, all citizens and residents must have some type of health insurance. Each doctor is contracted to one or a number of these health insurance providers.

If you aren't a resident but are legally employed here, with a labor permit, your employer should organize your health insurance for you. Any employer who says otherwise doesn't know the law or is willfully deceiving you.

I will post some links in english , so its easy to read about this matter
list on 3 pages here
europe-cities.com/en/633/czech_republic/health/

or
czech.cz/en/Life-Work/How-things-work-here/Health-service/Receiving-health-care

FINDING A DOCTOR
One common complaint is that after doing the right thing and getting insurance, foreigners can't find a doctor who will accept their type of insurance.

As we don't plan on being sick or picking up injuries, we don't think of these details when we, or loved ones, need medical attention.

To prepare yourself if this problem arises, I would suggest going to your insurance company's website and looking for contracted doctors (smluvní lékaři) in your area.
MEDICAL FEES
Even if you have health insurance you aren't totally exempt from fees. Since January 1st, 2008 a flat fee of 30 CZK was introduced for all visits to the doctor or for prescriptions.

Hospitalization (lůžkové péči) cost 60 CZK per day, providing you are admitted to a hospital bed.

The emergency room costs 90 CZK per day.

The upper limit for healthcare fees is 5,000 CZK, above which you won't be expected to pay.

Remember these fee is for insured patients and that you pay them on top of your insurance.

Hi,

In order to help expats and soon-to-be expats, we would like to invite you to share your experience on this topic, with updated info on the healthcare system.

Thank you in advance,

Julie
Expat.com Team

I love the health care system here. When my daughter was born 18 years ago, we paid $26 a night for a private room with balcony overlooking the Vltava. Generally, regular services have been high quality, efficient and inexpensive since that time. Quick access to a doctor is normal. Drugs are generally "free". The system here shines a spotlight on the absurdity of the U.S. System which is designed to enrich the drug companies and the insurance companies.