Help - About to start working in Luanda ):

Hello everyone, I am new here. Just registered like 10 mins ago.
I came here with tons of questions and wish you guys could help me (:

I am a chinese girl just graduated from college. And my aunty offered me a translator job in Luanda. She is running a construction company there with some people from Brazil. I always want to work overseas and see much more about the world. But I am not sure if Luanda is actually too much...... I don't really have any other overseas work opputunities right now. So, i kinda have no other options but to stay China which I don't want, either.

Could anybody tell me something about Luanda and do you guys think I may actually have a career development there? Coz it will be my first job and I hope I could build a future on that if I am gonna take it.

Help, please.

Thanks very much!!!!!!!

Hi Ruyi,
I am also in the same boat as far as Angola is concerned. But I have spent 8 years in Africa.
It is a beautiful place. People are generally friendly and loving. Much depends on how you treat them.
So go ahead. Wish you all the best.
In case I land up there, will get in touch with you.
Warm Regards,
Dinesh

Thanks for your replying (:

They will start working on my visa next month. I guess it's gonna take a while to get everything settled down.
I hope we could keep in touch so that at least I could have a friend when I get there :)

Come to Angola,there are a lot of chineese people.
Good luck.

I know that. Just worry about if it's a good place for a girl in my situation ):

lets be honest here for a minute.....

Career development? Not likely in country. Plan on a year or two max then get out. Angolans have a very strong push to create work for their own people and to remove expats and that includes taking over profitable businesses. It is understandable for a developing nation. Those positions which are seen as higher paying or have some status are the ones being coveted.  So as you progress and develop, your job will become increasingly under threat.

Safe friendly country? No it is not. There are great countries in Africa but Angola is not one of them, yet. For example there were two separate incidences of people being shot directly outside my residence in Luanda late last year. Check carefully the security measures taken at your Aunties company and where you will be located. On the streets we are constantly "reminded" we as expats are not welcome.

Would I send my Niece fresh out of college to work in Angola? No. There is not much to offer a young expat. You will burn through a lot of money to survive and could well end up with nothing at the end of your stint.

The other social point to keep in mind. The vast majority of your countrymen in Angola are men. As a young female you will be subject of attention from your fellow expats. You will be need to keep that in mind.

If you go to work there factor in plenty of trips out of the country for your sanity and well being.

Good luck.

are you in angola now ? are you working?

Ruyi wrote:

Hello everyone, I am new here. Just registered like 10 mins ago.
I came here with tons of questions and wish you guys could help me (:

I am a chinese girl just graduated from college. And my aunty offered me a translator job in Luanda. She is running a construction company there with some people from Brazil. I always want to work overseas and see much more about the world. But I am not sure if Luanda is actually too much...... I don't really have any other overseas work opputunities right now. So, i kinda have no other options but to stay China which I don't want, either.

Could anybody tell me something about Luanda and do you guys think I may actually have a career development there? Coz it will be my first job and I hope I could build a future on that if I am gonna take it.

Help, please.

Thanks very much!!!!!!!

Need to be optimistic.

[Moderated]

Ruyi,

I really do not advise you to come at this point in time.

"You are a fresh graduate and you wanna get stuck here being a translator? I don't think so.
Of all the other places in China and neighboring countries why Angola? Being impatience to leave?
Many eligible, prospective future “Bill Gates” in China and why wanna try your luck here in Angola?"
….. just thinking aloud.

You are young and you need be patient as there will come an opportunity for you to work out your ambition. I believe your current urge is to leave and leave by all means. Please exercise patience again. Leap not out of the pot into the fire.

Life is already hard here for your male compatriots and Angolan are crying out loud of loss job opportunities to expatriates …..

I quote globalgypsy  “Career development? Not likely in country. Plan on a year or two max then get out. Angolans have a very strong push to create work for their own people and to remove expats and that includes taking over profitable businesses. It is understandable for a developing nation. Those positions which are seen as higher paying or have some status are the ones being coveted.  So as you progress and develop, your job will become increasingly under threat…………….” unquote.

Journey of a thousand Li begins not only with the first steps but the right steps as well.