Learn arabic

Does anyone know if there is any place to learn arabic? Like a language school I mean.

jaimertorres wrote:

Does anyone know if there is any place to learn arabic? Like a language school I mean.

There ia Al Akademaya in Janzour.

Anything closer to the city or on the east side?

There is something in Naser street, but I donot know where is it excatly,

Why would you like to learn Arabic?

I think we expatriates should learn arabic. People is kind and helpful here so I would like to be able to speak their language. How can I communicate otherwise?
Arabic is one of the strongest influences in spanish and I am from Spain.
I am surprised that you ask that :)

Hi all, try Berlitz Centre , i've heard they are near Mezran Street and teach all kind of languages. Here's their email [email protected]
cheers

Any suggestions on what Arabic phrase book would be best, when we where in Russia we used the Lonely Plant, small and easy to put in a pocket or hand bag and it came in very handy as you could just point to the phrase or item you needed in the book, and as long as you took the laughing when using it in the market with good humour it worked like a charm. Having looked on line there seams to be a whole range of "Arabic" so still not sure which one to order.

Sara1980 wrote:

Why would you like to learn Arabic?

strange question :/:) we are in this country and this is a natural wish, if we want to stay for some time and be polite and friendly to the local population. :)

jaimertorres

there are two of us, at least - could organize a group and hire a teacher :lol: please, share the info you'll get, I'm looking for an arabic course for foreigners, too

I have started the Rosetta Stone Arabic - and found there are some words sounding very close to Spanish (or the other way round, Spanish words close to Arabic), like camisa (the same meaning, shirt) and some other, can't remember right now.

I am also interested in joining you at the course...I think it is very important to learn the local language as very interesting at a personal level...

When I asked why to learn Arabic, it was because to studying Arabic in schools is going to be very difficult especially the grammar

I would prefer to communicate with the local people to learn form them the popular words that are used every day It is going to be more useful to  u

One of my colleagues he has a book to teach Arabic I am going to ask him for you from where he got it

Thanks, Sara!

I found that the local population in everyday life does not speak the Arabic I expect to hear going by the self-teaching course I got. :/ but in many cases my message is understood. That's why I want the course with a local teacher to explain the local differences vs. the MSA.

A few most popular words and phrases is the minimal target for me as a second option in case I turn totally unfit for Arabic ;) So far I am optimistic and want more.

The American Libyan Education & Training Center offers evening Arabic Courses which will start on Oct 17th 2009 from 7 pm till 9pm three days a week. (60 hours for 10 weeks)

Fees are 350 LD + 20LD Book and CD

You can sign up for the course by visiting the center in Ben Ashure- Jaraba street near the Tunisian consulate

BTW working hours of the American Libyan Education & Training Center are as follows :

Sun. Till Thurs.   from 3:00 pm till 9:00 pm
Saturdays full day from 9:00 am till 9:00 pm
Fridays are off

For general information:
I was yesterday at the Berlitz school of languages.
The Berlitz method I have heard is good and follows european standards but the prices are up to the sky if you compare with same courses in Europe. Private course, 42 units (45min per unit) 1 student, very flexibe: 2000 LYD. Semi-private, 50 units, very flexibe, 2-3 students: 1300LYD/person. Groups 7-10 students, 60 units: 600 LYD/person. These courses last around 2-3 months if you go 2 or 3 times a week.
The bests schools in Europe usually cost 200 euros for similar courses.
I do not doubt the quality of the teachers, but I think is absolutely overpriced, but of course it depend on your economy and will.
I am checking also other schools in Tripoli.

And what about that one Arabic courses at Dahra ?   I am also very interested in attend such , but of course the price is the most important. Please let's keep in touch with regards to this - every information is precious ....

Cheers all

Sara,

You mentioned one school in Janzour, can you provide any phone or wen contact? I would be interested in going there.

Thanks

Hi jaimertorres

I hope that you have found a good arabic teacher, but if you haven't then may I recommend one:
I know a good arabic teacher(Mohammed), whom I introduced to a couple of expat friends around 3 months ago.

He goes to thier house two evenings a week and tailors his classes around their need/ability (A mix of Classical Arabic reading/writing and general conversational Arabic).

He speaks english, is flexible and trustworthy.
My friends are very happy with his delivery and attitude.

If you are interested, email me and I would be more than happy to link you up with Mohammed.

Regards
EL

currently we have a group of 4 (plus a few more that have expressed interest) that started a couple weeks ago.  We have learned the Arabic alphabet (writing) and their sounds.  Always room for another.  We go Sundays for 2 hours at 6-8 or as best we can given we travel to teachers home.  Cost is 30Ld / week and if we get enough we will renegotiate that.  Teachers home is  close to Suraj in SW Tripoli (close to Regatta).

hey guy ,,in international school in Saraj ,,they runing evening Arabic class ,
  2 classes weekly
cost : 8 dinner per hour

and it s going to be good idea to stay with arabic family to improve the launguge quickly ,,,:D

Hi!
Thank you all for sharing info. We are now attending a school close to the People's Palace. If anyone is interested I can put the telephone number here so you can contact the school directly.

I am interested in Arabic lessons. Please send me the school phone number.

Can somebody list the schools that teach MSA in tripoli in order not to be a mix:
IŽm interested too.

hi there ,
I am looking for arabic course ,any help will be appreciated .
regards .

Hello,

I,myself and couple of co-workers are looking for arabic language school too is there any information like pone number or email adress,any suggestion ?

Hello engineer & TuMu,

may I refer you to my previous post...

ExpatLibyan wrote:

Hi jaimertorres

I hope that you have found a good arabic teacher, but if you haven't then may I recommend one:
I know a good arabic teacher(Mohammed), whom I introduced to a couple of expat friends around 3 months ago.

He goes to thier house two evenings a week and tailors his classes around their need/ability (A mix of Classical Arabic reading/writing and general conversational Arabic).

He speaks english, is flexible and trustworthy.
My friends are very happy with his delivery and attitude.

If you are interested, email me and I would be more than happy to link you up with Mohammed.

Regards
EL

I heard the the Algerian mosque ( in the Algeria Square ) provids Abrabic learning courses for free.
you can check there.

I really don't know as well if there is a specific school to teach arabic but i know there are many to teach english and i'm a native arabic speaker as i'm libyan so i'm still learning english..
but i'll try my best to ask around about arabic language schools or courses ;)
but if anyone wants randon lessons in my language i'm ready to help :P

I think hiring a teacher is a good option.  Learning local libyan arabic is a good option as the words are quite different from classical.  You can tailor the course to your needs. 
At GEMS school they split the cost between how many attend so usually works out 6lyd.  Best you just turn up at the school. its 6-8 but cant remember the day! its independent from the school although i am sure open 2 the community. will try and post the day when i find out. think monday or tuesday.

Hello

HI am new in town and also interested in learing Arabic.

Does anyone have contact details for a teacher?

Hi, can we gather all the info here? I mean, please put all the phones and prices you know so we can figure it out the best option, IŽm interested with a co-worker to learn arabic...

Thanx

Mariano

Hello to all here!

You stopped the topic on the very interesting point, where it was expected you gathered all information together to work out best option?!

What are the result? Have you found the right balance between dialect, place, teacher and value?

What are your advise on searching experience yu can share about? I'm interested as I do ope will need that in the nearest future.....

Thanks in advance!

I believe that the following college is planning to commence Arabic classes:

Tobactus Educational Services,
Shaikh Street,
Nofleen,
Tripoli

Tel 021 3409613

I live in Janzur , so it is very far for me .
isnt there any close to me ?
regards

I took Arabic classes from a lady living in Ghot Al Shaal (Gurji road), she has arrangements in her house. I will ask her if she is willing to reveal her contact details.

I also plan to learn Arabic, and it will be better to get one teacher with others

Me and a couple of friends are planning on learning arabic and will give the American Libyan Education & Training Center a shot, the website isn't very useful but it at least hands out phone numbers..

Two expats at Palm City, Janzour, are very keen to form a small group / join a group, plus a well-recommended Arabic teacher. 
Please, do you have any suggestions or leads?
Please share answers here; or by phone
Don 0918 459 680

Hi ,

We are a couple, and we were also thınkıng about havıng arabıc classes.As the prices of the cources are soo hıgh (and we are not planıng to be a perfect arabic speaker), formıng a small group would be very entertaining, usefull and cheap:)).If you could create such a group, please let us know :))

Hi all, welcom to the new members! :)
Did you guys already check out Language classes ads in Libya's Classifieds or even Language exchange in the Classifieds?
Did you know that you may even insert a free ad in same Classifieds?
Cheers
Arlette

(moderated: off topic)