Driving a car in vietnam

Is it possible to use a European driving licence to rent a car and drive in Vietnam?

Is it possible to buy  a car?

Thanks in advance.

1. No, only people with VN licences can drive in VN. You can use your existing home country licence to get a short-term VN licence.

2. Yes - butit can't be registered in your name unless you have documentation permitting you to live in VN for a minimum pertod.

You could register it in a VN citizens name or a Foreigner who has the papers.

Driving a four-wheeled vehicle in any decent sized town/city is a killer. I park mine out of town when I drive it to TP HCM and use two-wheels.

Many people hire a 'driver' whose serves as jail bait when there is a bad accident Drivers sit in vehicles to avoid tickets and towing. You also need somewhere to park at night - roads won't do it.

You can drive fairly easily on the highways, at night there are many unlit vehicles.

Here are some useful info for ur driving license exchange:

Applying for Driving Licence - Procedure Guide

Application package includes:
-Application form [Download here: http://kieubaoviet.vn/dich-vu4/Driving-Licence-.html]
-Original and notarized translation of foreign driving licence
-Original and copy of valid foreign passport with  valid Vietnamese visa (validity of Vietnamese visa is at least 1 month)
-Old Driving Licence (if any)
-Photos:
Exchanging driving licence: 4 photos (one 3x4 cm photo and three 2x3 cm photos)
Applying motobike licence: 7 photos ( one 3x4 cm photo and six 2x3 cm photos)

Note:
International driving licenses are not accepted.
Translations notarized by Consulates are needed in case of Russian, Cambodian, Laos driving licenses

If the download link above did not work, try this:
http://kieubaoviet.vn/uploaded/Mau%20do … i%20xe.doc

give me a ring i'll help you out, cost you 15 buck in total. takes 5 days since applied.

Jaitch wrote:

2. Yes - butit can't be registered in your name unless you have documentation permitting you to live in VN for a minimum pertod.

You might as well classify that as a "No".

Hi,

Only change Vietnam driver license, I think if you are not care about price you could buy, actually in VN buying a car is very expensive, I think you could rent a car, contact me !I can help you...

Wild_1 wrote:
Jaitch wrote:

You might as well classify that as a "No".

Why is that a NO? If/when you are resident (temporary/permanent), sure you can have a valid driving licence.
And yes, you can buy in your name, as soon you hold a valid driving licence.

On the first tourist visa tourist visa in your passport = no
On an extension to the above = you might, but will need very good reasons and a lot of luck to get a licence
on a residence card or long term visa (investor) = you can own and drive, if you have a licence.

As for Motor bikes/scooters also, not every dealer will sell a bike to a foreigner.
Especially for cars, additional waiting times(up to several month), after payment are common. In short, they might have a car in the show room, but that has been sold already several month before.

maximus0760 wrote:

Is it possible to use a European driving licence to rent a car and drive in Vietnam?

Is it possible to buy  a car?

Thanks in advance.

The European driving licence might be sufficient - with your FIRST visa for Vietnam in your passport and only for small motorbikes.
Anything above, you need the Vietnamese driving Licence.

Yes, you can buy (Pay for it), unless you have sufficient Rights to stay and drive in Vietnam - you can't own.

l3ully wrote several things, and without wanting to interpret his words, I would reply:

1. Purchase Anyone can buy or purchase a vehicle. All you need is money, no licence, no visa, just money. For your money you are given a receipt and the goods.

This is the act of giving money for legal ownership. But owning a vehicle to drive on the street requires registration in order to get a licence plate.

2. Registration In order to obtain a licence plate, which is required to use a vehicle on the road, you have to register the vehicle and provide proof of VAT payment.

VN law requires that a registrant has to provide a valid ID card or, in the case of a non-citizen, a Residency Permit, with at least one year remaining on it AND a passport.

The registrant doesn't need a licence nor do they require they legally bought the vehicle. They MUST also produce a Certificate of Insurance for the vehicle.

If a Residence Permit has less than 12 months validity remaining, it cannot be used for registration.

Notes:
I have always purchased two policies of insurance for my vehicles. One n the name of the Registrant and one in my name. Being the Registrant of a vehicle has certain liability. Police arrest first and sort out details later. That's why people use drivers - they can do the jail time.

Carry a Letter from the Registrant saying you have permission to use and possess the vehicle anywhere in VietNam.

Comments on l3ully's last post:

The European driving licence might be sufficient - with your FIRST visa for Vietnam in your passport and only for small motorbikes.
Anything above, you need the Vietnamese driving Licence.

Only, with exceptions for ASEAN Pact countries, is a VN-issued licence legal for operating a motor-vehicle (or train). Period. Nothing else is good, even for diplomats.

Motorcycles with a cylinder capacity of 50cc, or less, can be driven without a VN licence.

you can buy in your name, as soon you hold a valid driving licence.

See above. Ownership and registration and driving licences are not linked. You can have any without the other.

As for Motor bikes/scooters also, not every dealer will sell a bike to a foreigner.
Especially for cars, additional waiting times(up to several month),

If a dealer will not sell a vehicle to a Foreigner it is not because of documentation. Never heard of s dealer refusing money.

Dealerships are full of consignment cars (new) which they can't sell and dealers are refusing to accept any used cars for resale.

Generally:
Embassies/consulates validate or certify documents.

The official Notary Public/Translator translates documentation and certifies it as being a true and accurate translation. They are city entities. There are several offices one is at 2 La Duan. No parking - use Diamond.

International Driving Licenses  can be used provided the embassy/consulate will validate/certify them.

VN licenses issued against foreign licenses are time limited (not for life) and have a maximum engine capacity limit of 175cc. Full licenses (where you do the theory and driving 'test') are good for life subject to court/police cancellation.

If a Foreign licence is only good for cars a similar restriction will be placed on the VN licence, unless you do the driving test.

http://www.fis.com.vn/sites/default/fis/news_gplx_1.jpg

The Ministry of Transport stated:
The information in the driver's profile (conforming to International Civil Aviation Organization standards) includes the name of the license holder, their date of birth, nationality, and residence in both Vietnamese and English. The new form, measuring 85.6 x 53.98 x 0.76 mm, is also designed with a tamper-proof outer layer, light yellow patterns and a watermark. The license number and date the driving examination was passed are printed in red and other information is in black. The driving license uses modern dye sublimation re-transfer technology and its use is controlled via SMS.

http://paperworkservice.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/gplx20112.jpg

Source: Mobile licence issuing office in DakLak

I am about to go to 252 ly Chinh Thang tomorrow to change my car licence  to a VN one. I already have all the necessary docs. My concern is : do they speak English, is there a counter for this and the number of counter. I understand it's upstairs but which floor please? Thanks

Sploke77 wrote:

I am about to go to 252 ly Chinh Thang tomorrow to change my car licence  to a VN one. I already have all the necessary docs. My concern is : do they speak English, is there a counter for this and the number of counter. I understand it's upstairs but which floor please? Thanks

Sploke77 wrote:

There are tree BIG NO, NO, NO's in this country.

- No, they do not speak, not even, if they could
- No, yourself can't do a thing in respect of paper works, unless you have month of time to burn, for a 5 minute task
- No, do not even attempt yourself. You might leave a red flag on your trail, which others might not be able to correct.

Let people do, who offer this services and have a reasonable reputation. There are very few foreigners who are able to manage parts of their paper works alone, the majority is waking up only the resting options, to make it more difficult.

3lully wrote:

No, do not even attempt yourself. You might leave a red flag on your trail, which others might not be able to correct.

Let people do, who offer this services and have a reasonable reputation. There are very few foreigners who are able to manage parts of their paper works alone, the majority is waking up only the resting options, to make it more difficult.

Great observation!!!  Even the Vietnamese, who aren't familiar with the bureaucratic processes, don't go there themselves.  They get someone who know what he is doing.

I have just got my VN motorcar licence  today and I did all the paperwork myself. Of course, I just followed what procedure that was described and it was as smooth as VN silk. And yes in the office there was a lady who understood and spoke good English and she was most friendly and helpful. The whole stuff costs me less than 200 k  and it includes transport there by xe buyt!

#Sploke77,

like stated before, nothing is impossible and most people now, once in a while, somebody wins in the lottery. Please do not take as a standard as a rule and as granted for everything further paper work for.

Your point noted with thanks. Of course, this is a most 'complex' country with its people likewise. But frankly, if you are willing to at least learn a bit of 'survival Vietnamese' and just speak out regardless of the humor it invokes, you will find some warmth and friendliness forthcoming readily! After all, we are all here to 'contribute' ??

You have to remember that l3ully (of no pay taxi fame) lives in the boon-docks (compared to Ho Chi Minh City) and that province has to operate by the national rules.

TP HCM, Da Nang and Ha Noi have additional operational flexibility, because of their expertise and the size of their populations.

What goes in Nha Trang doesn't necessarily follow in the autonomous cities. Might also be the case in Can Tho. Hai Phong, from what I remember, follows the national policy more closely (except in land transfers).

Sewarny wrote:
Exchanging driving licence: 4 photos (one 3x4 cm photo and three 2x3 cm photos)
Applying motobike licence: 7 photos ( one 3x4 cm photo and six 2x3 cm photos)

I have never heard of so many photographs being needed. My m/cycle licence required three: One for the Application, another for filing on the CGST computer and the third for the licence.

Maybe the official was angling for photo business.

Same at immigration. If you apply for a visa in person, bearing passport, they only need a single picture for the Application.

I had a hundred B & W pix knocked off in HongKong a few years ago and I still haven't used them all up.