Question about legitimacy

In speaking to some folks who post ads for housing in Malta, I've become very wary of the possibility of scammers.

Does anyone know if this site is vetted or if I should make a wire transfer to a foreign bank account in order to reserve a place to stay?

Hi Michael, it would be better not to send money without seeing what is proposed.

Harmonie.

Well, I have seen what is proposed, but I have no way of knowing whether it's real or not.

Is there any way to verify anything?

Hi Justinian,

welcome to the forum.

Why would you want to wire money to a foreign bank account? To rent property in Malta that is not necessary. We cannot check the credentials of people posting ads but I would probably notice anything looking fishy.

There are so many properties on the market in Malta that you don't need to worry about not finding anything reasonable.

If you want specific info or want to report a certain offer please send me a PM and I will take a look.

Cheers
Ricky

Thanks ricky.

I'm having trouble finding a place that fits my budget and my needs. I'm studying abroad as an American law student from 30 May until 16 July and I need a place near Valletta (Sliema, Msida, Birkirkara, etc).

it's been incredibly difficult to find something!

You are looking at around 7 weeks stay. That is more like a holiday stay and the prices while certainly be higher than for long lets. And it is the tourist season in July.

Considering agent fees and deposit you are probably better off in a small hotel or hostel. How much do you hgave to spend on accomodation?

Cheers
Ricky

It may help to point out that I'm in the States, which is why I'd have to wire the money to a Maltese bank account. That's what I mean when I say a "foreign" bank account :)

I don't have a whole lot. Maybe 1500-2000 US. I apologize if I come off as entitled, but I don't think a hostel will be good for me. I will be studying law while in Malta. I'd need a good home base where I can relax and study.

The hotels I've contacted do not rent for more than 2 weeks at a time usually, and they're all very expensive.

Hello,
You might want to check this :
http://universityresidence.com/gallery/general/
I've been told by a friend who teaches at a french university and stayed there several times (one or two weeks) that it is very pleasant. They also have one or two farmhouses (scroll Gallery), besides apartments or rooms.

Hi JustinianDT

I might be able to help. I've just posted an ad in the housing section today (one bed flat, Balluta bay) as I am leaving Malta earlier than planned so I was looking for someone to take over my rental contract until mid-Sep.

I am returning to the UK on 31 May and then come back to Malta for a week at the end of June to collect the last of my belongings - meaning my flat is going to be vacant from 31 May until around 23-25 June (and then from 01 July onwards).

So it's possible we could come to some sort of arrangement for the first 3 weeks of June at least - or longer if needed.

I've got permission from my landlord to sub-let and would be happy to give his contact details etc and provide references.

Let me know if you're interested,
Nic