Internet Speed

Hi, I plan on moving to Cuenca later this year and working online. Can anyone tell me what the internet speeds are in Cuenca? Tks, Richard

Hi Richard,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hi Richard,

The internet service in Cuenca is really good, I use the internet almost all day and the speed and the service is good.
I'm using the internet provided for the TV cable company for a year and only had some little problems.
The speed I have can be upgraded but for me, the one I have is good enough.
Also the City has his own internet service and there's a couple more companies offering internet service, too.

If you use wireless internet you can have some problems in some houses because the signal can't reach all the rooms, or be good in the fisrt floor and have no signal on the second floor, but this is a problem due they use concrete in home constructions than block the signal, not the service.

If you need any other help let me know.

Vinny

Thanks Vinny,I will be there in August to check things out. I'll find the fastest in the city and go with that.

Tks Richard

You welcome,

Once you come to Cuenca let me know.

Check my web site: destinationcuenca.com maybe there's something you need.

Vinny

not to revive a "dead" thread but i'm in the same boat as Richard. I'm here for six weeks (staying with in-laws) and am finding their internet horrendous. I've talked with Etapa but i'm looking for more choices, preferible none that use cell towers such as wimax or "4g" as has been suggested to me over and over by some locals.

Vinny, you said you have cable based internet? with what company? Are you right in "el centro" or are you more spread out, My inlaws live near the University hospital del Rio by the Tomebamba.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Hello msantiago,

The other option is TV Cable. They offer cable TV and internet service but you can get just the internet service.
Phone number: 07 2883388  www.grupotvcable.com

I live close to Yanuncai river, 1o de Mayo av. 
Are you from Boston??  I lived in the Berkshires for seven years.

Vinny

Thanks Vinny,

I'm gonna check them out, we're also going to the bit ETAPA center on diez de agosto.

I'm from Worcester (central Mass). Love the Berkshires.  Thanks for the info.

Mark

As I understand, different neighborhoods have different services.  I use TVCable and find that they offer great service internet wise.  While we have cable tv, there is a lot of programs and most of the movies in Spanish.  Depending on one's language ability, that can be an issue.

I would make sure that the service you want is available where you want to live before renting.

Mike

What sort of speed does TV Cable provide?

I hope it's better than here in the Philippines. I knew I was coming to the Third World, but the internet here is fourth or fifth world. At times I feel like I'm back in dial-up modem days. Only a slight exaggeration -- yesterday I was getting 200 kilobytes/second.