Bad Credit Raiting / No reference / Proof of address

I'm arriving in Malta on the 16th of May as my partner has moved to Malta for work. I'm going to be staying in Silema in the Hibernia Hostel.

I have booked 2 months and in this time I will need to find work. (Any Tips?)

My two main worries are:

ID Card, but it seems when I find work I can get this.

Bank Account! I do not have a UK bank account, I use a prepaid a Mastercard so cannot provide a reference + I have a very bad credit history. Also I do not have proof of address of the hostel.

I know I can't walk into a bank with just my passport and expect to get anywhere, but I also know that any employer will want to pay wages into an account right?

Are there any alternatives? Will Maltese companies want to pay into a bank account? (Bar Work? Waitering?)

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, Ryan

ID card can be got at anytime as long as you have an address for them to send your letter to, ypu dont need to have job to get it,.........as for paying your earnings into an account that will depend on the job..casual bar waitering etc - many pay cash, and lots pay at the end of each shift.

Thank you so much for the advice I really appreciate it.

My partner seems to think I must be economically self sufficient to get an ID Card? Is this not right?

What is an ID Card? Is that all I need to get a tax number + to start working? Is there a cost?

Could I use the hostels address / maybe my partners.

Again thanks.. I have read everything on this blog + searched for weeks but am still a little confused..

Thanks!

I've PM'd you

Whenever I've been looking for hotel work,they can pay with a cheque which you can then cash at a bank.

look at georges PM and am sure all your questions will be answered. good luck and enjoy Malta

Hi rr,

you should still be issued with an ID card. You can use the address you live at as you will receive a letter to the address you give when it is ready to be collected.

With the ID card you will be able to open a bank account. But be aware that as a foreigner you will not get any unsecured overdraft. It is only on a cash account basis. You are giving the bank an interest free loan of your own money -)))

All low paid jobs pay either through check that you can deposit into your account or even cash. Don't expect to find a well paid  job anytime soon ! Jobs in bars and restaurants are relatively low paid and usually only part time.

Within 3 months you have to apply for residency either showing a work contract or being self sufficient and also having health insurance or entitlement.

Cheers
Ricky

average rate for the casual low paid jobs is in the region 4 euros per hr....and usually long hours.

4 euros an hour will do me fine :D

If I get paid via cheque I will not be able to cash it, and I'm still not sure how to get an ID card because I don't have an address to receive the letter. (Staying in a hostel)

I have a job interview for the 17th doing waitering / kitchen work :D

I'm hoping to be paid in cash.

Hopefully I can save cash and stay in the hostel longer whilst I try to get a bank account, although every where I have tried want a reference from a UK bank... I don't have one :(

I won't need the ID card I think.. It's being changed from what I have read to be included in residency.

I'll try to apply for Ordinary Residency after I have worked for a bit.. Hopefully this can be done with a letter from my employer proving i'm in work / self-sufficient.

Over time I'll try to find a bank that does not require a reference, Banif is apparently one such bank or perhaps APS.

I'll probably convert my cash if I'm paid that way to BOV prepaid cards so I can still purchase things online + don't have to always carry cash around with me or find some place to stash it away.

Thank you for all your replies and help especially that PM.

But it any of what I said above you read and think.. nooo idiot that won't work please let me know, hehe

Much Appreciation,
Ryan Smith

p.s I'll post on this blog about my experiances and any problems I encounter :D

"If I get paid via cheque I will not be able to cash it," - you can, by going to a branch of the bank in question, and showing your passport

"I'll try to apply for Ordinary Residency after I have worked for a bit." - other way round - you have to get your OR before you start work

Hi Ryan,

I would still advise you to apply for the ID card even if it will have a limited expiry date. You can use any address , even of the hostel, just make sure that you get the mail from the ID card office.

It will save you money , even if only for the Arriva buses. The rates for non-ID card holders are much higher.

After 3 months you will have to apply for Ordinary Residence anyway.

At the moment the ETC require new employees in Malta to present their ID card and the employer should register the worker with ETC.

I'm not sure if all employers stick to this and what happens if they don't .

Cheers
Ricky

Ricky thank you.

That sounds sensible, I'll have to make a few trips to Valetta then :)

I'm very keen that my employment is done in the right way and so If the ETC need the ID i'll want to get one asap :D

Thank You

"I'm not sure if all employers stick to this" they don't, one reason for the substantial black economy

" and what happens if they don't ." if caught, big fines

rrsmith1988 wrote:

I'm very keen that my employment is done in the right way and so If the ETC need the ID i'll want to get one asap

quite right, you are a guest in a new country, and should respect their laws - good luck with the move :-)